Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2006, 01:41 AM   #121
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Rich has hit the nail on the head "I was in fear of my life or a another persons life". Having been in law enforcement for over 20 years full time 10 years reserve for over 10 that is what was always stressed to us in training. Keham don't know what states your Friend was trailed in but in NC no such thing as warning shots. As prior law enforcement we were always trained never,never fire warning shots, you shot to stop the imitate threat from the aggressor.
" I was in fear of my life or third parties life".

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:51 AM   #122
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have heard also that a single shot kill indicates precision and control, which is opposite of a selfe defence condition. So keep fireing till the gun is empty a tight group is not preferred here.
And refer to the 12 and 6 rule.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:59 AM   #123
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The point is what we think, what seems to be common sense or what someone told us at the local pub means nothing in a court of law.To use deadly force 1. you must fear for your life or the life of others. 2. Take action that is appropriate for the situation. The act of firing your weapon at a intruder is the use of deadly force. To shoot the intruder in the front while advancing may be justfied..to shoot the intruder in the back while retreating...You are in big trouble. If the intruder is unarmed you may in trouble in any case. The first statement out of your mouth should be..I was in fear of my life and I believed him to be armed,( I saw a shiny object in his hand) (He approached me in a threatening manner) Never assume that you are in the right and pray that we are never faced with such a situation. a warning shot gives the bad guy that much more time to do you harm.The Bad guy has no obligation to give fair warning that he will harm you///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:56 AM   #124
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Amen to that Rich. Another question to ask yourself if in that situation how many folks are prepared or willing to use deadly force to prevent the same, or have training of the weapon to be proficient with it. Lots of folks can make that claim, I hope you never have to find out. I could tell you things I have seen in over 20 years that would think about the intentions of people in this world.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #125
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Broom101 I am with you I hope I never am pushed to that point. But if pushed I have zero doubt what I will do.
Seven plus years in Army Infantry units can do that to ya.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #126
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
From What I remember of this It was almost 20 years was. 1 The DA could have called self defense and dropped it. But was bound to prosecute. 2 Iowa's self defense laws very week. 3 it was the no weapons and could have used other means( other exit, locked room).. Its hard to remember the exact facts but the DA did a better job for sure then my friends lawyer. (It was that case that people replaced that DA on the next election as everyone thought it was a case that should not have be brought. But jury said they followed the instructions and felt he had other means then kill) If my memory is correct.

Point being in some states you have protection rights and others only if certain conditions met.

So Know the local laws. not all the same.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #127
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I for one will never fire a warning shot into the air. I may fire a shot I consider to be a warning into a bad guys leg, arm, shoulder but never an intentional kill shot on the first round. If the bad guy continues to advance the second shot will drop him. Yes, I am that confident that under stress I can hit what needs to be hit when it needs to be hit. All a warning shot does is presents an opportunity for the bad guy to take action. If he realizes he was not hit by the first shot he may consider himself lucky and leave or he may consider you a bad shot and take his chances at taking your weapon. I have learned several times over that in situations, such as what we are talking about in this thread, you may not get a second chance. So your first action/reaction needs to count. If you own a weapon and cannot confidently and consistently hit a target several feet from you, you should not own a weapon for protection. If you own a weapon for protection you owe it to yourself to know how and when to use it. Personally, I will not hesitate to shoot an intruder. I use high velocity hollow points with the sole intention of making it a very bad day for any intruder/bad guy intent on ruining my day. If the intruder gets past my dog I consider him a threat. Like I stated, he will get one chance to live by not continuing to advance after the first shot. If he does, he is done in my book. I realize this is a very hard stand, I could go to jail; life could be rough for me; I could be plagued after the event with thoughts of the shot intruder; but unless you have actually lived it; unless you have experienced lose or unless you have stared into the eyes of a bad guy whose sole intention is to take you out, you have no idea what the bad guys are capable of doing.

Don't be foolish thinking you are going to outsmart the bad guy by trying to trick him hoping he will leave after a warning shot or shoot him with rock salt or by using reduced shotgun shell loads hoping not to disturb your neighbor with stray pellets. All you will succeed in doing is pissing off the bad guy. I feel by doing any of these options all you are doing is endangering your life and your family's life. You have two options; to flee or to fight - no in between. Certainly, if you can remove yourself from the situation without causing harm to your family or self that is the option you should take but if you must fight take the fight to him don’t wait for it to come to you - it maybe too late.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:14 AM   #128
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
One time, I believe 1968, my wife called me at work and said someone was in the house. She was upstairs in the bedroom and could hear someone downstairs.
I heard a click on the phone, figured he/she picked up the downstairs extension, so I told her to get the shotgun out of the closet, it was loaded, and just point it down the stairs and fire if anyone tried to come up.
I heard another click, then my wife said she heard the front door open.
I called the police on another phone and they came quickly but didn't find anyone. The front door was open when they arrived.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #129
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just received this fwd from my brother-in-law today. Thought it was timely regarding this thread:

Subject: The REAL Stats on Guns

Statistics

Doctors:
(A) The number of Doctors in the U.S. is 700,000
(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000
(C) The percentage of accidental deaths by physicians is 17.14%

Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services

Guns:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80
million)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500
(C) The percentage of accidental deaths by gun owners is 0.001875%

Statistics courtesy of the FBI

So statistically, Doctors are approximately 9,000 times MORE dangerous than
gun owners.
Remember, GUNS don't kill people, DOCTORS do!

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN; ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR...
Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.
We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!
Out of concern for the public at large, statistics on lawyers have been
withheld for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical
attention.

This tongue in cheek is not a put down on the medical profession, in which I have many friends. It is just using them for reference. However, I'm not sure if I want to be as protective of my attorney friends...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:17 AM   #130
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I like to remember that in most states you can't pull a gun on anyone unless humane life is in danger or in NC,to avoid rape.I was told by my instructor that if there is a shooting and they can prove you fired to wound only, you're life was not in apparent justfiable danger, much less a warning shot. So if one were to fire a cripling shot to the thigh or knee cap, one might say "I missed!" Also to inform the officers you plan to cooperate completely with the investigation, after having your attn. present. Hope it never happens.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote