Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
dishes broke

We got home from a 4 day and 4 night mini vacation. We were checking things and noticed we had one broken dinner plate, one small plate and two coffee cups. We use Corelle dishes. Except the coffee cups are glass. Went over a rough paved road coming home. We went that way going and never had anything break.
Now they have paper towels between them and we took some Styrofoam and cut holes to fit the cups so I don't think anything will break next time. Have an end kitchen.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Our last unit was a rear kitchen and Ann had so many broken dishes after going across I-10 from New Orleans to Texas. Now even with the mid kitchen she cuts the soft rubber place mats or shelf material (whatever it is) and places it between the plates and bowls.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have never broken a dish on I-10 and points rougher but then we have never had a rear kitchen either. We use Corelle and don't put anything between the plates or bowls.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rear kitchen, slip knot stuff (the solid kind) between the dishes, corelle dishes (which do break if hit sharply enough at just the right angle). Will never do without the slip knot, even with a mid or front kitchen. Personal choice, just don't want to tempt fate nor clean up the sharp pieces of corelle when it breaks (done that, don't wanna again, eww).
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
What is "slip-knot stuff"? I have the rubber like shelf stuff. Need to put something else between the dishes besides paper towels.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dustytuu

Probably what you are calling rubber like shelf stuff, is the same as what I call slip-knot. I use the solid stuff, they sell as shelf liner I believe. Can get at Wally world, and CW and trailer places. I have not bought in a couple of years, but then, Walleyworld was about the cheapest place to get it.

Some of this slip-knot stuff has holes in it, some is solid. I use the holey stuff in the bottom of every cabinet and shelf. I use the solid stuff, which is thicker to make plate spacers and bowl spacers. Made circles for the plates, but found that a long strip about 2 inches wide worked best for between bowls (cut long enough to go down into the bowl and up the sides with a little more added -- the little more is so you can quickly stack em, neatness does not count here! HAHA)

Carol
Old 07-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
CW also sells some things you put between dishes and sleeves for glasses. It is white cushion material. The 2nd unit we had was a rear kitchen and we had made many trips without problems. Then one day..........we must have hit a bump just right, the cupboard came open and our whole set of correlle ware shattered into tiny little pieces. Moved the dishes (ones that were left) to a side cupboard and never had any more problems. We did velcro the cupboard handles together and put dowel rod down through the drawers. On the 3400 we did not have any problems on our recent trip from No. CA to So. CA except for the drawer on the little end table. We wrap our wine glasses in dish towels and put them in the dish towel drawer.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:53 AM   #8
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
The Dollar store in Canada sells dishes that are a melmac(plastic)big and small plates, cereal bowls but we use ceramic coffee cups. Haven`t broken them yet, and we line the shelves with a rubber like shelving material we bought at Wal-Mart. It comes in a 25ft roll. We put nothing between the dishes and they all stay in place.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:36 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Parrothead,

That stuff that CW sells is basically the same as I used. I bought it in the rolls, and cut my own circles. I thought the ones at CW were pricy, but they were awful cute cut like flowers!

Never had any problems when I had melamine or melmac dishes, but I was tired of that, and wanted a change. So, I got the corelle and cut my circles and strips and away we went.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:33 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carol
Ithink they are 2 different things. I buy the stuff in the rolls also and line shelves and cut strips to put around the breakable stuff. This other stuff I bought only the sleeve for the glasses (we don't like plastic). They expand to go over most sizes. I also found some of the roll type stuff that were coasters in the dollar bin at a drugstore. They work great for between plates or bowls. A lot of the accessory pieces to our new correlle ware are not really correlle so they will break. Like the gravy bowl, cannisters, etc. Since we set up our unit when we thought we were going to be parked for 2 years, we didn't give a lot of thought to travel. I now need to rethink some of our stuff and where it is before we take Monty on the road.
Happy trails.................unbroken.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:11 PM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have always used the rubber like shelf paper. Never had anything break... ever... until this trip. That road was really rough for a paved road. Must have hit a bump just right. I will put the rubber like shelf stuff in between the corelle before next trip. We keep our bar glasses and wine glasses in a drawer and have strofoam cut to fit them. Have never broke any of those either. We had them wrapped in dish towels before in that drawer, and that worked well too. The drawer on the end near hot water on our unit. That is what I get for bragging that we never had a broken dish with a end kitchen! LOL
Old 07-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
No broken dishes yet, but we did loose some nice wine glasses. I opened the cubbard to quick and down they came.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We were going to use our fine china and glassware until we weighed them. Just before we got the word on the Hong Kong assignment, we switched to decorator Melmac and acrylic glassware. Total weight savings was about 65 lbs. and the stuff is virtually indestructable.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 AM   #14
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We use the correlle dishes, & plastic glasses, but I have to have either glass or ceramic coffee cups. I bought the rubberized shelf liner with holes to line all the cupboards, and the solid to match for use as placemats etc. which comes in rolls. I also bought a roll of styrofoam like liner that I found with the boxes, shipping & packageing stuff, it is about 12" wide and has perforations in it at about every 12". I think it was designed for packing dishes. Any way I use the styrofoam for between my breakables and it works great! I got all of it from Lowes, if anyone is looking for it.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dusty, we have the same model as you, as you know, and have broken just one dish. That one was in a lower cabinet next to the oven. Other than use some tension rods between sections in the overhead cabinets and putting a piece of the nonskid between glass bowls, we don't really do anything else special. Our Corelle plates and bowls are not cushioned and have never broken. Our glasses are acrylic and have never broken. The rods keep them from sliding forward in the cabinets but no problem with them breaking. I wonder if you have a wheel way out of balance or something? We've also been on that stretch of I-10 without breakage. And some other very rough roads.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:27 PM   #16
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I heard the bump when he hit it on Lincoln St. We exited on Lincoln St. in Denver area from 1-25 coming from Colorado Springs. He hit it hard so I know that is when it broke the dishes. First time we ever broke anything.
Will have the tire checked for balance for sure.
That is not all that broke. I always Velcro my laptop to the desk and never had a problem until he hit that bump. It had fell off the desk and when Don put the slide out next time he heard a CRUNCH! That is what did it in. Guess it traveled along the floor and was near the slide.
Good news is I have a new one now from same company, Dell.
Good to have warranty from accidents on them! Everything except fire or theft.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:26 AM   #17
Buddin
Established Member

M.O.C. #818
[quote]Originally posted by Dustytuu

We got home from a 4 day and 4 night mini vacation. We were checking things and noticed we had one broken dinner plate, one small plate and two coffee cups. We use Corelle dishes. Except the coffee cups are glass. Went over a rough paved road coming home. We went that way going and never had anything break.
Now they have paper towels between them and we took some Styrofoam and cut holes to fit the cups so I don't think anything will break next time. Have an end kitchen.

I use styroform plates/bowls between the dishes; so far nothing has been broken.
Buddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Good idea about the styroform between plates and etc. That side of the road was very rough and he hit that bump hard.
We took it out for the weekend and not one broken dish. We had some rough payment going and coming home too.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #19
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We have the same 3295 and have never broken anything. knock on wood.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote