Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Toxic smell when dumping

So, for the last few months, we have been increasingly been subject to odor from the black tank when dumping.

I wondered if the vent stack was clogged so I went up on the roof and shone the flashlight down. I also ran a bit of water down the vent, just in case, to dislodge anything. Still, we had the smells.

I thought that putting those nifty venturi-type vents on the vent pipes would help, so I did so. Nope! Still the smell enveloped us inside when dumping.

After a bit of time of thunking my head against the wall I thought that maybe the vent pipe had come loose in the attic (our previous 3400RL had this problem).

Just as I was getting prepared to remove the hall wall to get at the vent pipe, I thought to look at the sewer inlet for the washing machine in our pantry.

When we originally took delivery of our unit, I had used teflon tape to help seal the cap to the inlet. I thought that this couldn't be the problem because of the tape. After all, it has been nearly 3 years!

Well, after taking the cap off and sealing it with silicone (we have modified our pantry closet to always be a pantry), we have no more smell!

Those who are in the know may chime in with the proper stuff to use for those who don't want to go to the extreme that we did.

Anyway, if you smell bad things when dumping, checking the washing machine inlet cap might help solve your problem.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
If you are never going to use it, what if you put plastic cement glue on the threads and seal it that way? or cut off the threaded adaptor and glue a cap on the pipe if there is enough room. a couple of thoughts...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote