Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Monty used or new?

Did you buy your Monty new or used? We were going it buy ours new but a friend of ours told us about a neighbor of hers in Sun City that had an almost new one for sale. We looked at it and it was almost new. The sad story being they had only used it two times and only towed it about 300 miles total before her husband had a heart attack and died. that was the bad side of finding a really good deal on the Monty. Hope you bought yours under happier circumstances Happy Camping Jack & Janet

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Ours was pre-enjoyed also. The previous owners bought it in the spring of '04 and traded it for a smaller one in the spring of '05. They thought it was just too big for what they wanted. Maybe it was for two people but the wife and I and our two kids think it's just right.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Wagonmaster, That is a sad story that led to that particular Montana being on the market, but it is, I suppose, testament to trying to enjoy life while you can—nothing is gauranteed.

As to your question, ours was used. The previous owners had bought it and took it on about five trips, but discovered since both of their children shoot competitively, that it was not convenient to allow them to sleep on the trip to competitions while the father towed, so they bought a motor home and wanted to move the Montana. Their price was extremely fair, so we bought it, though we DO feel that it is too long. When we met David (padredw) a couple of months ago when he and Shirley were at Stone Mountain, we felt their Montana would have been the perfect size for us, but you go with what you have, and we do love our 3295RK.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We found a motivated seller. So that allowed us to get a pristine previously owned Montana and an outstanding, well kept and equipped tow vehicle for about half of what we would have spent on buying new. It had 5 years left on the 7 year extended warranty. The included extras valued about $3,000. Buying new would have been beyond our budget.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We bought ours "used" for all of 11 days. The previous owners bought it, moved in, and then decided it was too small. They spent the 11 days on the dealer's lot and then moved into a bigger Monty. We just happened along at the right time, right place and got a good deal.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:55 PM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We purchased ours new, we had another fifth wheel and liked the Montana so much better.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Our first 2 TTs were used, our 3rd TT was new, our Monty was ordered at the Pomona RV Show in October and delivered in December '04. Had we found our floorplan in a used '04 or '05 we probably would have bought it. But we're glad we ordered the new one, first because we felt we got a great deal at the show, and second, because of the upgrades in the bedroom (bed & TV) that were "on-the-run" changes that we weren't charged for.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
Steve Ryan
Established Member

M.O.C. #2002
Our 2955RL was used also. We just happened to find it,last August, when we were out looking around.The interior colors aren't what we would order but after sitting in it for a while we liked it more and more.I don't think it was used often,no wear patterns on the couch, recliners or carpet. I found all the owners documents still in the red pouch. I did put tires on it,the old ones where cracked and checked. We are very happy with our Montana. When the time comes,I don't know any reason we wouldn't replace it another Montana.
Steve Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Ours is used also. It has all but 6 options! (most of which I don't care for) Previous owners full timed for 18 months then went back to a stick home and had some financial problems. Retail was upper 40's and we paid 25. Can't beat that with a stick!!!! After inspecting it for 9 hours we did the deal.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:36 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Our Montana was previously enjoyed. We just happened to be looking when the sales person said they had a used Montana at their main lot. We went over to take a look and said Yes without hesitation - slides were in, it hadn't been inspected, etc. That's not how we would normally do business, but haven't regretted our decision one bit. The dealer replaced/fixed what needed to be when the unit was inspected/detailed, and have been very helpful since. Monty appears to have almost all the upgrades available at the time, but we have no spec sheet. Hope to get that this summer when we travel through Indiana. So far when we have contacted Keystone and asked for that, we've been unsuccessful - I think they haven't understood what we are wanting. But I'm rambling. Enjoy your Montana - safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:09 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Previously owned. We were in the market for a new TT - a Sunnybrook Mobile Scout 30FKS like that of friends of ours. We realized "no way" were we going to be able to pull it with our 3/4 ton conversion van, so we resigned ourselves to just wait until retirement (and savings plan payout) due to the sticker shock on the nice new tow vehicles (not to mention a new RV).

Not a week later I noticed an ad for a '99 F-250 V-10 pickup on a bulletin board at work. Turned out to be a friend of mind - a VERY meticulous person who really babied that baby !! Anway, got it for less than 1/2 what a new deisel F-250 would have been (this was in 2002). Then not a couple of days later during lunch I was drooling over travel trailer ads on the Internet when a co-worker asked if I was about to buy one. I told her "no - gotta wait because I just bought a truck" to which which she said she was asking because they had one for sale. I told her politely that we knew JUST what we wanted and I showed her the Mobile Scout floorplan. She said it looked just like their 2000 Mountaineer 305FKS. Well sure enough it was and we got it for less than 1/2 what a new one would have been. It too had been very well taken care of and only pulled a few times (they had lived in it about a year at a lakelot).

I'll never forget taking the literature for both trailers home and showing my wife "just to show her what I found" and for comparison. Then she asked how much and I asked her what she thought. Her reply was "Let's do it - it must be meant to be - a pickup and a TT within a week for considerably less than 1/2 the price of new ones !! Then I convinced her we saved so much maybe I could do a few upgrades with the savings. That's when she made the mistake saying I could go to Camping World and get "whatever I wanted". Man, that was a shopping spree !!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #12
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
We bought our previous enjoyed 2955 last June and have been very happy with it...Not one single problem with it so far. We went to a dealer to get a part for our Keystone Outback pull behind and walked out with the Montana. Never dreamed that we would every own one.

We have spent all day washing, waxing and general cleaning of the Montana, getting it ready for a trip leaving this Friday. A labor of love as we really like this Montana. Based on what I read here, most Montana owners really take care of maintenance and care of their trailers.

I think there are some great used Montana's out there and if we every trade, we will be looking for another used one.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #13
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
We owned a Prowler TT for many years, and just loved it. My wife got excited about trailers or 5th wheels with slides, and started poring over literature 4 years ago. Hours of research on the web. She narrowed her research down, and Montanas were included.

In Feb of 2002, we dropped by a small camper show here in the Springs, and found out the Montana dealer had a used one just in, and it turned out to be a 3280 - just what the wife would buy if we upgraded! They made a deal we couldn't refuse....

Turns out the original owner wasn't much of a handyman, nor a very good driver (here a ding, there a bend...), but it looks great now! We love it - only one regret, we don't get to use it often enough!! Yet...
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:01 AM   #14
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
If you buy a used one, checked it out very very thouroughly. Trailers are traded in for variety of reasons, some of which are related to being lemons. Before we bought our 2005 Montana new, we looked at a lot of used ones. We found one on Ebay that sounded like a winner. It was advertised as used only once and was six months old. We drove 2 hours to look at it, and when the owner opened the door we almost puked! The smell of urine and mildew was overwhelming. The owner stated that on their first trip, they brought their doberman along for the trip, and the dog peed all over everything in the trailer. The owners never cleaned any of it up, and it turned to mildew. When we asked the owner about the smell, he simply stated that a little pee would never hurt anyone, and that all trailers smell like pee! Needless to say, we passed on that one. That problem that we saw on many used trailers was water penetration. As soon as we entered the trailers, we could tell in an instant whether or not the trailer had moisture damage. Very distinct smell. Just be careful, and never buy a trailer without checking it out first. That goes for new ones as well.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 PM   #15
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We bought our '03 as a new unit last year (04) in April. We got a pretty good deal on it considering we traded a 94 motorhome on it. We are very happy so far with it and plan to keep it a while yet, until retirement, when we will look at a larger 5th wheel or a motorhome.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:07 AM   #16
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
We just bought a 1999 about 3 weeks ago. So far, we really like it. Took it out for a 10 day trip and had truck trouble ( two rocker arms broke in number 3 on the rightside, mechanic said it was "hydrolock") but the fiver was great. Headed back out again after the 4th, this time headed north foor 2 or 3 weeks.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote