Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Botls on piston end

Every time I move the bedroom slide I hear a short ratcheting sound before the bed starts moving. This occurs in either direction. I also noted the same sound on the small slide for the entertainment center. I checked under the smaller slide and found that the end of the hydraulic piston is threaded like a bolt and attached with large nuts. Well, there was several inches of play between the inner and outer nut which allowed the piston to move that distance before moving the room. This free movement is slowly grinding away the threads. I grabbed my wrench and tightened the nut to eliminate the play. Now the room moves immediately and does not grind away the threads.

Now, the bedroom slide does the same thing. Looking under the bed I see the piston travels about four (4) inches before engaging and moving the room. Before I take the bed apart to tighten this I have to ask myself "Is there a reason Keystone did NOT tighten these when assembled?" On first thought I figure they just didn't do a good job. But then maybe there is a reason they left play in this mechanism. I can tighten the nuts without much effort but before I take the bed apart I thought I should see if the nuts are supposed to be left loose. The main slide was tight when we got the trailer. But both smaller slides were not tight. Any thoughts out there? Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks,

Kevin

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I found this on the Lippert RV tech bulletin list.
Note the say 2" to 3" free travel so I would redo the Kitchen Hydraulic cylinder adjustment.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The cylinder has more travel than your slide and should be adjusted so that it is at the end of its stroke just as the slide reaches it's outer position and is bottomed out when the slide is all the way in. If you tighten the nuts the cylinder will still be pushing or pulling when the slide can't go any further and if you are not careful could damage the slide and/or wall
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
That's what I love about this site. Someone out there will always have the answers. Good thing I asked, there IS a reason for the "play" at the end of the piston. Thank you all for your assistance. I will leave the bedroom slide as is and go back and fix the other silde out which I tightened. Thanks again for your help.

Ya'll have a great camping season,

Kevin
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When MIMF attended the Minden rally he told us the same thing Charlie (8.1al) described. I think the manual says the same, if I recall. The gap is there for a reason. However, yours might still need to have that gap adjusted, just not as tight as you have it now. I'm not an expert, though, just relaying what I've been told and have experienced.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote