Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
ebds2019
Established Member

M.O.C. #23940
Propane Regulator Question

Hi folks. I have done research and learned a lot about propane regulators but I know there are still lots of folks in the forum that know more than me.

I have a Montana 3810MS (2018). I have been playing with fans in the top compartment of the refrigerator so I've had the fridge on for a while.

I had it running on propane for a few days while I was testing.

This morning I came out and the fridge was warm and complaining that it had no fuel.

I knew the propane tank was very low but I thought most of these regulators are auto cutover, which mine did not do.

In further testing, I turned off the empty tank and disconnected the line to the regulator. The knob was still pointing to the empty tank and it still did not turn from green to red.

So..............

1. Does the indicator not changing, even disconnected from the tank, mean the regulator is bad?

2. Am I wrong to assume it is an auto cutover regulator?

3. Assuming I need to install a new regulator, what is a good auto cutover regulator that you guys have put in as a replacement for the original?

4. Lastly, when making the connections to the new regulator, do you use teflon tape or something else?

Thanks all,
Rob

ebds2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
If I understand correctly, you need to turn the knob to the other tank for it to turn green. But it should still auto turn over internally. The indicator has to be switched by hand.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
What ebds2019 said is the selector was still pointed to the disconnected tank and never turned to red. I have never found the red/green to be a very reliable means to determine the fuel available in a tank. Probably even less reliable as the valve gets older as I have changed them from green to red by just tapping them with a wrench. I don't think the indicator has any effect on the switch over valve but I don't know that for sure.
I prefer pipe dope but If you use teflon tape it should be yellow for gas.