Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hose ends

Is there any manufactured piece of equipment any sorrier than the ends of these white RV water hoses? They are flimsy, leaky, sorry trash. I hate leaky connections. So today I whacked off the female end and replaced it with more substantial brass repair end. The first test seems to be leakless.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No, there is not any worse, typical case of low bidder. I have replaced the ends of mine also. It's hard to even get a good repair end.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I purchased mine from the Water Filter store. They all have brass ends--no leaks. They aren't cheap like the ones you buy at Wal-Mart.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ace hardware stores have good hoses with solid brass connectors. (but not in white at the store I was in).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:58 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I think the twisting on and twisting off is what makes the brass part of the hose end to fail.

Hose quick connectors can save your hoses and your time. I tried the brass ones, but they are not all built the same so they are not interchangeable. They are also expensive.

At Home Depot, they sell Melnor hose quick connects. Melnor is easily found at any Home Depot and thus can easily be replaced in case of failure. By buying them for every end, the different combinations, depending on the hookup, can easily be modified to fit the situation. No leaks.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Every hose and accessory I have at home (and there are a BUNCH) has the Home Depot/Lowes Melnor plastic quick connectors. When they start leaking, I chunk them and replace with a new one. At home my issue is not so much the leaking but the hassle of having to screw on and off the fitting when I can just snap it on or off. I have used them RVin' also but was concerned about the weight of the hose at the RV entry point.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Like Orv said. The Water Filter Store has good connectors in brass and stainless both.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have been using quick disconnect fittings to connect to my filters and from the filters to the rig. Work very well and can be purchased at any hardware store (I got mine at Ace0 in the hose and fittings department.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I agree with simonsrf: the brass quick-connects work very well. While we get ours from Home Depot, you have to sort of weigh each one out of the box. The really light ones (seems they are changing specs to save money, but charging more...) are no good, in my opinion. The heavier ones have never leaked.

Walmart also sells them, but for a few dollars more, in the RV section.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Orv,

I agree with you that the brass ones are far superior to the cheap plastic Melnor ones I buy. The problem I have is that the brass ones are not all the same or interchangeable, learned that lesson a while ago when I tried to match some that I had been using for years. You have to keep the same brand name to same brand name. Typically the brass ones can cost about $9.50 for a male to female pair. http://tinyurl.com/2gjse6

This one has proven to be a good alternative for me, the price is a lot cheaper. I bought M/F connector for $2.00 for the pair at Home Depot..I am currently using 8 M/F connections right now, and have several other hose connectors on various other hose accessories. http://tinyurl.com/2dtvll

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I have my winter hose sitting in the back of my truck right now til I can get a repair kit and fix it. In my case it wasn't the brass/metal ends but the actual hose about 1/2 inch in from the end that has a small hole in it. Could never get that sucker to stop leaking .... finally figured out where the leak was from and no amount of tightening was going to stop it.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I seem to have leaking problems with the quick connects from Home Depot, too. Even the brass ones. Are these the same sold at Ace Hardware?

I also have problems with those hose ends. I think I'll consider the replacement ends mentioned in this thread.

The hoses, non-white, at Ace Hardware that OntMont mentioned, are those for drinking water use?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Most colored hoses have a drinking water disclaimer. I have seen one blue coiled hose with "good for drinking water" on the label. It was $23 at an RV store.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote