Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2007, 01:37 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Heading down the Blue Ridge

We will be leaving the hustle and bustle of Washington DC tomorrow and go to Shenandoah National Park first and then travel down the Blue Ridge Parkway from one end to the other. I sure hope those bridges are high enough for us.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We'll be on a beautiful drive, Bill and Helen, especially this time of the year. One year, in the 60s (when I was 12 )we drove along a line of leaf tourists that stretched out for ten miles. It's probably worse now so watch the traffic. and have a wonderful time!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We traveled part of the Blue Ridge a couple of weeks ago from Front Royal. We used up a weeks worth of oohs and aahs in the first 30 miles or so. Everything was so green and lush then. You should get some great color. Enjoy!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well helen we drove from asheville to boone , nc and you will have to run the center of a lot of bridges , but if you stop at a range station you can get a bridge clearnce sheet , but we found you have to run the center as most are arch type ,... and take a 4 days to run all of that as its 30 mph at best and no fuel on the parkway john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Helen, that's where our friends moved to 10 years ago. We continue to visit them and have fallen in love with the area (Va / Nc). Now if the economy will ever cooperate will buys some land and retire down there. I've been looking at parcels from 20 to 40 acres. Just enough to keep me outa trouble. After the kids get out of college if we haven't bought yet the push will be on to get it done. Enjoy your trip. I/We only wish we could be there now too.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks for the info John. I found the heights on the National Park Site so have all that info. We will try to only cover about 50 miles a day so that we don't miss anything. Last year we were on a little bit of it but look forward to doing it all this time.

Helen

Old 09-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Helen,
Right off the Blue ridge Parkway, in Bedford, VA is the WWII memorial. Quite a sight. Also check out Peaks of Otter, really neat. My neck of the woods; was in boarding school right there in LYnchburg. Pretty area....
tara
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oh thanks Tara... I love it when people tell me what not to miss.. I'm still so sorry that we missed you in Montana this summer.

We drove the Shenandoah Parkway today and are in Waynesboro tonight ready to start the Blue Ridge in the morning.... Shenandoah National Park was beautifyl and we are so happy we were finally able to see it.... Quite a difference between the hustle and bustle of Washington DC and the quiet back roads of Virgina.

Helen
Old 09-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well helen we are in gattlinberg but on tuesday we go to waynsville near maggie valley at the cedar creek rv so if in the area we mite see you as we will be in asheville till oct 13 about as we go also to mama gertties out side of swannaw ,, spelling ,, its a real dif rv park as its in the mtns , yes very steep as keep your foot on the gas john
Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oh we Love Maggie Valley John. Wish we had time to go there this time but can't. We should be in Asherville in about a week or so. Maybe we'll catch you there

Helen
Old 09-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Ya'll have fun, we traveled through there a few years back, beautiful scenery. It was good to see you and Bill in Goshen.

Take care.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #12
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
So how far did you get today as we leave here on tuesday for waynsville as we will be at creekwood farms rv
Old 09-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Anymore info on the bridge clearances (I'd feel safe at 14'. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:55 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Dave and Brenda. We hope we see you in Florida this winter.
John, we went 61 miles to the Natural Bridge road where we will spend a couple of days with our dear friend Malia. I don't know if any of you get the Motor Home magazine but if you see the October issue on the news stand, Malia has written a great story in it about Savannah.

Kerry, we were told by the National Park Service that we will fit under all bridges. Some of them further South you just have to be sure you go right down the middle. I don't think any of the Montana's are over 13' tall to the top of the air conditioner unless you happen to forget your antenna is up.

Helen
Old 10-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Today we moved down another 60 miles to the Roanoke Valley. I can't begin to tell you how beautiful it is here.

Salle (VAbluebird) I can't believe you would leave here before the leaves finished changing. Incredible beauty on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Of course I will post pictures on our website before the night is over.

Helen
Old 10-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We made it as far as Asheville, NC before we regretfully left the Blue Ridge Parkway. We feared the last 70 miles or so because of the low Clearence at some of the bridges. I know we could have gotten through but we would have to be sure we went right down the middle and there is tons of traffic on it right now with the leaves changing.

For those of you that are interested, we drove from the beginning of the Shenandoah Skyline drive for 105 miles, then continued on the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Asheville exit. We averaged about 60 miles a day and made sure that we stopped at all look outs that had room for us. We even stopped at some that didn't and lost two caps for the vents on the roof but no real lasting damage.. It took us one week and we loved every minute of it. We recommend it to any of you. I have pictures on our blog for those that are interested. If we had more time, we would have taken at least three weeks and saw a lot more towns just off the parkway. They are really back woods and fantastic. We met the most wonderful people. Does it sound like we had a good time? GOOD. We sure did.

We took the Interstate today to Gatlinburg and will spend the next week in the Smokey Mountains. After sleeping here tonight we will be able to put another state on the white space of our map. Although we are just putting the map on, we have been here before but in SOB a lot earlier and we vowed to come back again.

Helen
Old 10-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Bill and Helen,
It was nice to read about your travels on the BRP. I made this trip as a boy with my parents in a tent. Later, we took our girls up the Parkway in a Pop-up. Both of these trips hold many memories for me. Debbie and I hope to do it again in the Mountaineer. Our daughter now lives in Pennsylvania, but so far we have had to travel fast to visit her, so have done the interstates instead of the Parkway. If we can ever sell this house we'll remedy that!! LOL
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote