Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Montana_4603

M.O.C. #4603
Home sale to Montana living?

Hello all.... My wife and I have been looking at 5ers and decided that Montana is the way to go. We currently live in Phoenix, own a home, but are tired of the time and expense that home ownership requires. Our current plan (subject to change!) is to sell the house, buy a Montana, and park it in Phoenix. After all, I still have to work.... since retirement is still too far away. We want to save our money for better things to come and eliminate posessions that tie us down.

Many questions for those in the know (you!).... What about full-timing in a Montana? Any floor plan preferances? Will the unit take the Arizona heat (better than we do!)? What options should we look for? We will not buy a truck until we select our 'mobile' estate. Is smaller better when it is time to move to a new area or should we go for comfort and convenience now?

All advice will be greatly appreciated. This is a great site with great people.

Thanks......

Montana_4603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
First of all ... Welcome to the MOC! You'll soon discover, if you haven't already, a wealth of information, as well as a great group of people here. The first post is the hardest, so now that you've gotten that out of the way, just jump right in and join the fun.

As far as your questions go ... other than a 2nd AC unit (a no-brainer I would say for Arizona), I'm really not qualified to give an opinion as to how well a Montana will do in that extreme heat. I'm sure others will be along who can help you with that issue.

To help you decide what options to order, I would suggest that you see if you can get an options list/order form from your dealer before you go to make your deal. That way you'll have plenty of time to decide/research which options you can/cannot live without. There are so many and just as many opinions as to whether or not you really "need" any of them.

As far as what size to go with ... IMHO, I would suggest comfort and convenience now. Again IMHO, I don't think it's quite so "traumatic" to downsize to a larger, more comfortable and convenient unit.

As far as a floorplan, go with what makes you say "I'm Home!!!" when you first walk in. There have been posts here suggesting that you also spend some time in the unit and pretend you're living in it ... move around the kitchen as if you're preparing a meal, walk around in the bedroom like you're getting dressed in the morning, etc. This really helps you to decide if there's enough "wiggle" room and if there's room for all your stuff.

We're full-timers and our 3295RK is our 2nd Montana (our 2880RL had no room for a washer and dryer and that was a non-negotiable option for me). Good luck and have fun in making all the upcoming decisions.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don't let a fear of towing detrmine your size. If you get the right truck, you can tow any of the Montanas. That said if you are going to live in it full time, you want one that will make you comfortable and give you enough room to do the things you like to do. For instance, we have enough room in our 3400 to set up a table that we can put our N scale model train on. If you use a computer a lot, sit down at the desk and see if you are comfortable. I can watch Television at my desk and I'm not in the way of my husband watching. Look at the unit with slides out and slides in. Take your time. Good luck and happy hunting. And welcome to our fantastic group.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours withstood Kansas heat and humidity just fine although with just one AC we did have some days in the upper 90's where the single ac unit was working very hard and barely keeping up. In your case I'd recommend the second AC unit.

As other said, the floorplan that makes you fall in love with it is the one you want. Just be sure to consider how much storage, inside and out, and kitchen counter space it has and if that meets your needs. I'd recommend you sit down in the rig and think your way through your life scenarios. Watching TV. Taking a nap. Eating dinner at the table. On the road. Can you get to the bathroom? Can you get to the refrigerator or are you willing to open the slides to do so? etc.

There are many here with lots of experience who I'm sure will comment. And don't hesitate to ask questions. There are no dumb questions here. That's how we learned and continue to learn.

As for size, you'll find all the Montanas tow beautifully. There's not really enough size difference to make you feel a difference going down the road. Weight can be an issue if you don't have a truck that can handle it but length only varies by about 5 or 6 feet from the smallest to the largest.

My opinion is that we spend most of our time living in it, far more time than towing it. So we weight our decisions toward our comfort and enjoyment while inside the rig. Just my opinion.

Welcome aboard. You're very smart to ask questions before writing the check.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have lived in ours for 4 years and Vicki and Steve are pointing you in the right direction. When looking at 5th wheels we always sat on the toilet to check comfort and room and stood in the shower and pretended we were showering. Take your time and don't let the salesmen rush you. We would suggest a second A/C for year round in Phoenix and a spot in the shade if you can get one. Awnings for all of the windows would be of great help also.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome To the MOC, with that said, There is nothing else to say...All the above advice is all you need. Take your time and make the right decision. After all the decision you make will be the decision you live with.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
zb11:

Welcome aboard!! You have found THE site for all things Montana!!

Just spent time in Quartzsite over the summer and will be moving there full-time in October. DEFINITELY get the second AC for the bedroom and make it a 15K BTU...You can NEVER have too much AC. I found that trying to use the ducted vents of the primary AC unit was worthless so I used the "dump" to cool the kitchen/dining/living room area. (Will have this unit checked because it wasn't putting out the cold air like the added unit. Even in the hottest weather - around 120F the second AC put out 65-70F cold air and the "main unit" MAYBE 100F. Temp was checked at the discharge areas). Had very little problem with freezing up of units if I would gradually decrease temp and kept fan on HIGH. Other suggestions are to cover windows inside w/aluminum bubble material and I will probably add window awnings. I am considering have a metal RV cover built to provide shade. This is what several people have done around me.

I was concerned about length, but it became a non-issue after towing the Monty. As others have said look at the "creature-comforts" because this will be your home. Advice on the WC (watercloset) is very good. Remember: "The job's not done until the paperwork is finished". Check for plenty of storage, both inside and out. Caveat is same as for AC.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
We looked at the same model several times - then looked at others, and always came back to the one we liked best to compare - we have a 3295RK also, and we will be in it for at least 6 months with 2 dogs and 2 cats - in Phoenix area - so was interested to hear what suggestions came from my friends (yep, you are all friends); I agree with go creature comforts, storage, function - whatever you think you need - get the best - whatever you think you won't need - throw that idea aside - you may want whatever it is later, so if it's included and everything else is what you really want/need - consider it frosting on the cake... Good Luck - happy hunting - maybe we'll see you in Phoenix this Winter...

Mike & Evy Orlob
Central Oregon
MOC #2310
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #9
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Welcome aboard,,, The MOC is the place to go for answers. The floor plan is a great starting point but the best thing to do is go and physically go and check them out. Comfort is #1. The dw and I stayed in a thirty foot Couger for a while but it soon got to small(it was great for just me). We have since moved up to a 37 foot Montana and we love it. Plenty of room for the both of us.

God Bless and good hunting
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #10
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Ok this is our experience. We go to my brothers alot. He lives in Blythe, Ca. But in the summer it is hot, hot, hot (120+). We started out with one a/c. Learning quickly that we required 2, had the 2nd one installed. Then we found that the heat still came in the windows and the skylight in the shower, making the a/c's work harder. So we took the inside skylight dome down and applied 3 layers of bubble wrap, purchased at walmart in the stationary section ($4.). It still looks nice, lets the light in, but like the pool covers made of the same thing keeps heat in/out accordingly. Also put a nice stainglass film cover on the door window purchased at Home Depot $20) and we are set. The rest of the windows all have the day/night shades and so now it stays real cool in the heat. Other then that it is up to you as to the floorplan that suits you best. We knew from the minute we walked into the 3400RL that we were home....It suits us just fine. We went for the full Monty (pun intended) and are glad we did. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Happy RVing.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:10 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all I want to welcome you and your wife to the MOC family.

After reading your post and being fulltimers ourselves I had a load of advice to throw at you BUT after reading all the replies you have already received there is really nothing more that I can add.

I will add that it is very important that you do your homework. Try to find a dealer or dealers that have numerous Montana models in stock. This way you can get the feel of many different floor plans. The Montana website (CLICK HERE) has all the different models listed as well as the standard and optional equipment. They also show the specifications as well as the many different floor plans.

Above all, take your time and when you have questions come back here and ask away.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Check out the current (October '05) issue of Highways magazine (Good Sam Club). The column, RV Insight, by Joe & Vicki Kieva is a good one that addresses the process of choosing an RV.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:35 AM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Check them out as described above, find your "ideal" Monty, then shop around for the best deal. I might add that the Dealer where you find your "ideal" Monty isn't necessarily the one you need decide to purchase it from. That decision includes sales price and, very important and often overlooked, Service Department's ability AND reputation with their RV customers.

I speak from experience...bought our Monty from a very large S. Calif Dealership, very good price, but I'll NEVER take it back again for any sort of work. As I discovered later, their only goal in the Service Dept was to push new RVs out the door. You had no standing with them as a Customer once they had the $$ for the RV purchase. In my case, as a full timer, I scheduled the rig in for two days's worth of " no brainer" minor warranty work with a month's lead time. I gave them the Monty for 9 days to do the two day's work. Not only did they not complete 80% of the work, they didn't have the Monty ready on the agreed-upon date. That cost me $200 in motel expenses, which, of course, they wouldn't even think of covering. I found out that the reason was exactly as I mentioned above. I don't often post negative stuff on the Forum, but, in their case, I'll make the exception.

On the other hand, I have no complaints concerning my fairly limited dealings with Keystone. Helpful, done as promised, and when promised.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:44 AM   #14
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
This is probably too dumb to mention, but we always bought from a dealer who allowed us full access to their trailers without a salesman breathing down our necks.For any major purchase,I do my own sales work, in other words, I decide what I want,before talking to salesmen.

We were looking at trailers in Las vegas a few yrs ago & the dealer said he'd open a trailer for us to look at, but if we wanted to see another one,to let him know & he'd open it. We just went on down the road. How can you compare 4-5 trailers that aren't open? JMO
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #15
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
I agree with all of the above. We went with comfort and convienience first and have not been at all unhappy. I would buy another in a second.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:01 PM   #16
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patodonn

I might add that the Dealer where you find your "ideal" Monty isn't necessarily the one you need decide to purchase it from. That decision includes sales price and, very important and often overlooked, Service Department's ability AND reputation with their RV customers.
I agree totally. Whether for automobiles, trucks, or RVs, as far as I am concerned, sales are made by the reputation and quality of the service department, not the sales people in the showroom. I have been buying vehicles for over 25 years from the same Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealer for precisely that reason and purchased our Monty from a dealer whose service department has the same sort of reputation ... a reputation that my brief experience indicates is more than well-deserved. I want to get a good deal on the purchase like everyone else ... but must admit that dickering for "the lowest possible price" from the sales manager concerns me less than getting "the best possible service" from the service manager.

Bill

Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #17
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Just purchased 3400RL, love the rig but I agree that the salesman are secondary to the reputation of the customer service. Without that you have one upset customer telling the world. Our salesman wasnt there when we picked up the rig, didnt even call to see if all was ok. I think he should be flipping burgers somewhere .... I dealt with assistant mgr and mgr of service and they were exceptional...
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #18
FT Army

M.O.C. #5348
I can tell you without a dought that a Montana or any other Keystone product, if you use it for fultiming will not support you and your family. I have an 05 3685FL that I ve had to peace together over the last year. After fighting with the factory I said forget it and ordered a Doubletree 36 TK3 Elite Suite.

If you full time in this trailor the factory will tell you that they dont support fulltime use. In saying that it is exceptable to them after 3 months of use for the following problems to exist.

Shower break away from wall and water leak under the floor fro drain.
Fire Place broke
Fantastic fan broke
AC freeze up
wheels lock up after setting a few weeks.

***** Comment deleted that does not add anything constructive to posting. Edited by MOC Admin. *****
FT Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
FT Army, sorry to hear of your problems. Many do not have the problems that you have experienced. Some have had worse. My research finds that quality control is poor, at best, in the RV industry as a whole. No mfr is exempt. Someone noted that they saw a ~$1.5 mil Prevost motorcoach going down the road with a sign painted on the back of it that read, "LEMON". Doubletree, although a fine company, has had their problems, also, if you check.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:37 PM   #20
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I, too, am so sorry that FT Army has had a very bad experience. But I totally disagree with his conclusions. If I had his experience, undoubtedly, I would feel the same, however, my experience with the Montana 3670 RL Big Sky have been quite different. We have had minor issues to deal with and some of them, I thought, were really uncalled for. None of our issues have been beyond the realm of reason. They were no more prevalent than issues I have had with the stick house.

People have potty or plumbing problems from time to time in a stick house. Do we really expect an RV to be any different? I choose to just fix the problem and move on with enjoying my Monty. The previous owner of my stick house rarely, if at all, changed the A/C filters. Well, guess what, I had to replace an irreparable evaporator coil after a time. That is only to say that issues can be caused by a lack of owner attentiveness as well as manufacturing incompetence.

I didn't jerk on or slam doors in my stick house and don't do so on Monty. I didn't put undue presssure on the hinges in cabinets and closets in the stick house and neither do I on Monty. I didnt track in mud and dirt into the stick house and neither do I on Monty. In short, I treat my Montana as a home and it gives me back a pleasant fulltiming home environment.

Oh, by-the-way, welcome to the forum and happy hunting...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote