Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
ABELJOHN1942
Established Member

M.O.C. #19675
wiring on 3575RL

I'm trying to install a 2500 watt inverter would like to have it so I can just plug coach into it Inverter alarms short circuit protection. Installing Cobra CPI2590.cant find source of short. unit works on shore power

ABELJOHN1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
OK, now we know it is an inverter. You say the unit works on shore power. I assume the "unit" is the RV.

The basic power cord you are using for shore power should be fine. If you have a short when plugging the shore power cord into the inverter, then the short must be in the adapters you are using to convert from a 50/30 plug down to 15 amp one. I assume you have plugged a test lamp into the inverter to ensure it does work?????

The inverters I have worked with didn't have short circuit alarm. But they did have an over voltage alarm. Could this be what you are hearing? Before plugging the RV into the inverter be sure to turn off the electric hot water heater, converter and any other high amperage draw devices. If those are on they will draw much more than your inverter can supply and a load screeching alarm is the result.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
ABELJOHN1942
Established Member

M.O.C. #19675
Short is somewhere in the coach I used a cord and tied directly to the master switch and the inverter still alarms short. it has its own display showing the fault as short
Old 04-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You should open(turn off) the main breaker and all the small breakers in your electric panel inside the trailer. Then, connect your inverter, and if all your cable and adapters are good, your inverter should not alarm. If all is good, turn on your main switch, and if that is good, then start with one at a time turning on the smaller breakers. You will then be able to isolate the problem. It is very possible that the extremely high load being placed on the inverter is making it think you have a short, when it is just to much load. 2500 watts is not much more than 20 amps, so you won't be able to handle much more than lights and the converter. You should already have the water heater and fridge switched to gas only as they will trip the inverter instantly.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
ABELJOHN1942
Established Member

M.O.C. #19675
All breakers off and inverter still shows short. inverter will work on a stand alone appliance
Old 04-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

All the information that can be provided is just shots in the dark without more information.

The Cobra specs indicate the unit is 110 / 120 V output.

You say you wired the inverter direct to the trailer. Assuming the trailer to require a 50 amp service then how about telling us what wires you wired direct?

I would avoid wiring direct and try using the power cord provided with the trailer and whatever adapters require to get it plugged into one of the 15 amp receptacles on the front of the Cobra.

Then try running the cobra without plugging the power cord into the trailer.

If this proves good then turn off all breakers and the battery isolation switch if the trailer has one. Plug the power cord into the trailer and try the Cobra.

If you follow this suggestion please let us know what happens

I have one in my truck to charge computer and drill batteries. This is not an exceptional powerful unit and will not support much and probably wouldn’t run the 55 Amp converter the trailer specs call for.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
ABELJOHN1942
Established Member

M.O.C. #19675
I am using the power cord provided with the trailer and the adapters require to get it plugged into one of the 15 amp receptacles on the front of the Cobra. I turned off all breakers and the battery isolation switch if the trailer. I plugged the power cord into the trailer and the cobra unit still showed shors
Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #8
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I'm totally confused my inverter works off the batteries to make 12 volt invert to 110. It's wired to the batteries then out to the breaker panel the inverter has a pass through switch to allow shore power to power up the trailer. I don't plug power cord from shore power into it. Maybe I'm not reading this correctly and if so I'm sorry for my post. It works flawlessly and I did my own install.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
OK

So you have established the power cord is good. You have established the trailer is good by plugging the power cord in to a power source other than the inverter.

This only leaves a device in the trailer that is requiring more power than the inverter can provide.

If you are really set on using that converter then gain access to the converter and turn it off with the switch on the front of the converter.

The inverter you are using will not provide enough power to run your converter and if you are trying to run the inverter from the trailer battery with the converter on that would give you the result you are getting.

Boat391

He is using an inverter that is not designed for the application he is trying to use it for. If he gets rid of enough electrical loads in the trailer it will work to run some of the 110 V lighting but not much else.

I have a 6,000 watt inverter and it is so marginal I have started using a pair of EU200I Honda power units.

Phil P
Attached Images

Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I guess I am not up to speed as to why he would like to plug in to the inverter for powering up the trailer. In my mind doing it the way he is doing it would absolutely give him the results he is getting. I'm open to learn more. Electricity flows like water is the easiest way to explain how it runs.
My install works well for my application keeps tv's and satellite running and will make a pot of coffee without firing up the generator. But I do work off a big 6 volt battery bank and have solar up top. Thanks for clearing up my confusion Phil.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #11
ABELJOHN1942
Established Member

M.O.C. #19675
I would like to know how exactly did your install of the inverter
Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Well my install is pretty easy but first you need to know what inverter I have it's a 1800 watt xantrex pure sinwave that is hard wired into the breaker panel. Allowing me to only put 110 to the circuits I need. I have the bedroom wired so I can use the TV and sleep number bed. Then I wired the entertainment center circuit to keep satellite and TV fired up. Then I put a outlet on the center counter for the coffee pot. This just about Max's out my power. We do a lot of boondocking. This is why I did this install I've done it before on another trailer but with a smaller inverter. I work off of 6 6 volts so I get a lot of amp hours then have a 400 watt solar system. If I turn everything off I can run the microwave but I just fire up the generator instead. Like I stated this works great for my needs might not be enough for some or too much for others. If you are considering a install like I have just pm me and I'll talk you through it. It really isn't hard to do just take a little planning and time.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #13
ABELJOHN1942
Established Member

M.O.C. #19675
I'm new to this club and when you say pm you how do I go about doing that
Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #14
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Pm = private message me I haven't done this for a while and not at all with the new format. That said look up to the upper right hand corner of the page and you wil see private messages. That is where you will see my response. On my name to the left of my post click on my name and a drop down box will appear it will have a send private message in the menu just do that and it will send to me and I'll reply with my cell number

Tags
cobra inverter, inverter, short in wiring