Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
furnace set for 40F for freeze protection?

I'm not ready to complete winterize my rig yet as it will be used around Thanksgiving.

It's connected to 50Amps but only the furnace heats the basement and tanks. I don't have the electric heaters on the tanks.

The weather here is above freezing the next 2 weeks except for a few nights in the 20s. So I'm going to set the furnace to 40F and hope that works.

My question is about slides.If they are out the rig is pretty well seals from the cold.

What about if the slides are in? Any risk in not getting the heat where it needs to go or is letting too much outside air in?

Thoughts?
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Jim,
I left my furnace on 42 for a few weeks before we left Idaho. Our temps were in the low teens at night. I did leave the electric side of the water heater on also. Had no problems. I did have our slides out because we were cleaning and loading. If you need yours in what if you just open the slide that covers the registers just far enough to clear them.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmitfl View Post
Jim,
... If you need yours in what if you just open the slide that covers the registers just far enough to clear them.
I think the RV is not sealed well if any slide is partially open. Closed or open seem to be the best seal. Not sure which is better. I've felt the breeze blow through when I have the slide part way out. Since the step air return to the basement is next to my slide switches I feel that breeze every time I open or close the slides.

At this time I really don't have a reason that the slides can't be completely out so that's what I'll do. I have blown out all lines except black water flush and have drained all tanks. So I'm good till Thanksgiving week at which time the water will be back in use. Once the RV is in use, I'm not too worried about the cold if we get any.

Jim A
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On our 2010 enough vents were open to run the furnace with the slides in, on our 2017 we can't run the furnace with the slides in at all.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
I think the RV is not sealed well if any slide is partially open. Closed or open seem to be the best seal. Not sure which is better. I've felt the breeze blow through when I have the slide part way out. Since the step air return to the basement is next to my slide switches I feel that breeze every time I open or close the slides.

At this time I really don't have a reason that the slides can't be completely out so that's what I'll do. I have blown out all lines except black water flush and have drained all tanks. So I'm good till Thanksgiving week at which time the water will be back in use. Once the RV is in use, I'm not too worried about the cold if we get any.

Jim A
I don't believe you needed to ask the question about what to do. It sounds like you already have a good plan that should work just fine. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I would just put the sides in and let it go. if it is only going to do to freezing for short times it won't damage anything.
but, if you do keep the heat on you need to know how much gas you will need and you can keep the sides in. our vents are in the center of the trailer.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
If you only put the slides out partially get on the roof and make sure the seals are in the out position and keep the snow off unless you have toppers or the melt water will find its way in.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
The question is whether heat vents are blocked with the slides in. If so, you could get overheating of the furnace. In my Monty all the vents remain open when the slides are in so I could get away with running the furnace.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We leave the slides in with the heat set at 45! Even if you cover a vent it wont hurt any thing it just makes the air come out more some wears else.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
With no waste or fresh water in the tanks I would just keep a ceramic heater centrally located, say on the kitchen counter and set it on low to keep it above freezing. It takes quite some time even in the teens to freeze things. The warmth of the day takes a while to were off.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #11
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We pull the slides in and set the stat to 50. In the past, we set it to 40. We decided it took longer than we liked to warm the trailer from 40. We do this between weekend stays.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Winter protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
I'm not ready to complete winterize my rig yet as it will be used around Thanksgiving.

It's connected to 50Amps but only the furnace heats the basement and tanks. I don't have the electric heaters on the tanks.

The weather here is above freezing the next 2 weeks except for a few nights in the 20s. So I'm going to set the furnace to 40F and hope that works.

My question is about slides.If they are out the rig is pretty well seals from the cold.

What about if the slides are in? Any risk in not getting the heat where it needs to go or is letting too much outside air in?

Thoughts?

I put two electric heaters facing each other in the living area. one at each end. I set them to 70 degrees and open the slides in that area, closing the bedroom slide. I leave it this way all winter. I drain all tanks and water lines along with the hot water heater. Never a problem with freezing. This way we can go camping whenever we feel like with having to dewinterizing it.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #13
Ed C
Established Member

M.O.C. #22849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flyer View Post
I put two electric heaters facing each other in the living area. one at each end. I set them to 70 degrees and open the slides in that area, closing the bedroom slide. I leave it this way all winter. I drain all tanks and water lines along with the hot water heater. Never a problem with freezing. This way we can go camping whenever we feel like with having to dewinterizing it.
That seems like a lot of electricity! I can see the $$$ adding up quick!
Old 11-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Not to bad. Cheaper than something Frozen and busted
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
It takes 20 minutes to drain the water heater and blow out the lines. It takes a lot of time to replace frozen pipes. B
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #16
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
We've been traveling from 50°F OR coast to 36° in SLC then across WY with lows @6°! BRRR. Furnace set @45-60° depending on location. We have slides in - less space to heat and blocked carpet up to allow airflow from floor register. Some lines froze as temps fell to single digits. Otherwise been good to go. Do watch IF slides are out when SNOW accumulate - was lots of weight! And a bare to remove! Heading south...
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote