Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Weapons

Been RVing off and on since the early '70s. However, with a 3400 and dually on order, I can see us getting a bit more serious about it, and doing some serious traveling . Does anybody keep any weapons with them? I know there is a problem if you want to go to Canada, but what about around the USA? Nothing big, just a small hand gun that could be stashed in one of the many hiding places in the rig.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Do a search I think under protection or self defense this was discussed in length about month or so ago.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Broome101 is correct. The subject was discussed quite thoroughly but I was unable to come up with a link.

In answer to your question, absolutely not.
As I was once an avid hunter, I am not against carrying firearms but I am against getting me or Lorraine shot with my own weapon and in so doing putting another weapon on the street.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...=,self,defense
Here it is was listed under Protection While traveling, hope this helps
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Good thread, thanks.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
We travel with a very loyal Pit Bull.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:03 AM   #7
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
I for one do carry A weapon, With all the crazys out there it makes me feel A lot safer.The DW and I have one on us at all times. The funny thing is, hers is bigger than mine, And she's A better shot than me too. I know A lot of folks don't agree with it, but I'm not gonna be A victim of some low life with out going down with out A fight. To each his own, I respect others in there views and I don't put any body down for it.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I grew up in Western PA..Hunting country. A firearm around the house was as common as a sofa.We have a respect for firearms but not a fear. Over the years we have instructed in the Home Firearm safety and the hunter safety programs. We had considered instructing in the Ohio Concealed Carry course till we realized that most of the classes are on weekends and that is camping time. We do have a Concealed Carry permit, we like to sport shoot..I am a huge supporter of our constitutional freedoms, all of them, including the 2nd.Each of us will choose how we protect our self and family against harm in this ever changing world.I respect everyones choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I too have choosen to carry a 9mm in the coach I grew up with guns and so did my wife she shoot's better too but we have taken gun training and handgun safety also I know this is a very exposive subject so I will keep it short we live in pot country and nothing is safe we do alot of out back camping and thats our reason it works for us I do respect everyone's feelings on this subject as I hope others respect mine
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
I do not carry a hand, I do have a shot gun and a rifle for sport shoutting, they do come with us on many trips because there is some where I can go shotting (exmaple farmington New Mexico there is a nice club there and they have a rally once a year.) I hope I never have to use them. My wife is strongly against hand guns so for her comfort I do not have one.

I have no problems with MATURE, REASONABLE, RESPONIBLE PEOPLE, to have guns, knifes, trained attack dogs or what they feel that they need. It the STUPID peole that makes the rest of us having to protect ourselves.
labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
No comment (wait a minute, I just made a comment )

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Good one Mac !!!

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
The Mrs. is the one who holds the Concealed Carry Permit.

There's a gun in the Monty. There's a gun in the TV.

Both make loud noises that can pretty much deter animals...Of ALL sorts.

In all the years we've been together, (and with her being a crack shot,) she has yet to shoot anyone.

Including ME!

Steve

(But I still yell, "SHOOT 'EM!" at the TV while watching COPS, and America's Wildest Police Chases. Tongue-in-cheek, I'm sure....)
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:15 AM   #14
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
It is nice to have one (or more) just in case you need one. It isn't nice when you don't have one and wish you did.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We have been to the personal protection class here in our area, my wife and I have been handgun shooters for 30 plus years, my father taught my brothers and sisters gun safety as soon as we were old enough to understand.
Having a handgun is a huge responsibility, not to be taken lightly. Many people have no idea when a weapon can be used, or even that it is (mostly) illegal to brandish: (exhibit, expose, wave or flourish) a weapon.
Did you know that a person stealing your TV, car, wheels, cannot be shot without (in most cases) criminal charges being brought against the shooter?
Weighty subject, guns.
I think everyone should take the personal protection class, whether you plan on having access to guns or not, just good information to have.
Good luck, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #16
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
I must not be one of the lucky ones who travel about and have no problems that being said. I have had too many interventions with people who did not like that I had at the time more than them. I would not be without a gun but I do respect the law of the land and don’t take my gun where it is not legal. (Canada, Mexico,) but try to make arraignment’s with a gun shop in the area to keep my firearm when crossing the boarder. Traveling into Canada a few people have made arraignment’s with the authorities to legally declare and carry shotguns into Canada. If you decide to carry a firearm get some training for all who will have access to the firearm, if you do have to pull your weapon (heaven forbid that should happen) be prepared to pull the trigger its not as easy as it sounds. As has been said its better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6!
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote