Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2016, 03:50 AM   #1
caroldee2735
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17665
Defrosting Norcold

I have a 4 door Norcold , I year old. Needs defrosting every two-three weeks. And frost gets inside of well sealed packages. Then it takes forever to back up to good temps. We do not leave doors open while searching . How often does average fridge need defrosting. I have a Montana , 2015, 3160RL. Is there a residential fridge that will fit?
Thanks for any suggestions.

caroldee2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:00 AM   #2
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I had a Norcold 4 door 1200. I would say once a month for deicing depending on where we were in the USA. The door with the icemaker needed twice the defrosting. I used a big hair drier one door at a time. I now have a Montana 375FL with the Residential Fridge and appreciate cold ice cream, speedy cool down. I do not dry camp much so the small inverter does not bother me.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:14 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Carol is your unit still in warranty? If so, take it to your dealer and have them check out the doors for closing tight enough to seal.(See comments below before contacting your dealer for an appointment) You may have a gasket leak if you are having to defrost every 2-3 weeks. You can check to see if the doors are closing tight enough by taking a dollar bill and putting it in the opening with part of it sticking out, then close the door/s and see if you can pull that dollar bill out. If it comes out easy the doors need adjusting. I would also contact Norcold (their number should be in your book you got on the refrig with all your manuals at time of purchase) and talk to one of their service techs and see what they have to say. IF your unit is still under warranty also contact Keystone Customer Service and explain the situation and have them start a file on you unit and ask for an appointment set up by them with your dealer or whoever they choose to have the frig checked.

Update-- You've got some great answers from some great MOC members Carol. Want to learn more about your unit come to the Fall Rally in Goshen, IN next month and learn the in and outs and meet some of those that are posting here also. Great time, great information, great tour of the plant, great food and great people! See you can't go wrong! Come join us! Information on the Fall Rally is here on the Forum under Annual MOC Rallies. Hope to see you there!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:40 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For us it depends on where we are. Summers, like this one in Kansas, or when we're in Georgia or Florida about once a month is what we have to do. In New Mexico or Arizona once every couple of months or more works for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have never had to defrost the frig. But I spend 4 months in AZ and about 3 1/2 mounts in Southern CA. Mostly dry areas.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We are up in the NW and we defrost about every 3 months and I just turn off the fridge get the hair Dryer out and put it on Medium/Warm heat and High fan and get-er-done in about 20 min,I use a Turkey baster to suck up most the water then dry the rest out with a towel then put the stuff back in turn the fridge back on..EASY PEEZEEif it is hot outside wait till the evening when it cools down and by morning you will be all good on the temp again,35-37
Old 08-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
If the newer Norcolds are like those of 04' Vintage, behind the top shelf there is a plastic tray across the width of the fins. It has a drain going out the back of the fridge to a drip tray. You occasionally need to clean this tray and clean the hose. It has a small plastic restriction in the tube over the outside drip tray which also needs cleaned if the tray backs up. In my older model the door seals were non replaceable so you want to take good care of them and keep them clean. I am very happy with the New residential in the HC 375FL.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
caroldee2735
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17665
I thank everybody for replies. I guess most of problem is I am in Missouri with humidity at times above 75%!. I wasn't sure if I could use hair dryer so if it's okay , that will make it much easier.
caroldee2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #9
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Hair dryer, turkey baster and a big sponge.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by caroldee2735

I thank everybody for replies. I guess most of problem is I am in Missouri with humidity at times above 75%!. I wasn't sure if I could use hair dryer so if it's okay , that will make it much easier.
I would not use the dryer on high.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
For sure Dick you are right Not on HOT Heat, I put mine on WARM heat and HIGH blower power, been doing this for 7 years now and it works great
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by caroldee2735

I would not use the dryer on high.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:56 AM   #12
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Our reefer is only a 2 door model Norcold and we spend most of our time in the Southeast. We only have to defrost about 2 times a year and the ice cream stays hard too.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote