Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
2nd trip out with new Mountaineer

We just returned from our 2nd trip out and I have to say I am really loving this unit. My husband really had to do some talking to convince me we should trade in our TT for this 5ver - thank goodness for his persistence.
In the TT our bedroom was open to the living room and kitchen. We had no privacy and the kids were always bouncing around on our bed. The bathroom was between the living area and the bunkhouse - you had to walk thru the bathroom to get to the bh. As the only woman in the house. I can tell you that was no picnic lol.
I am loving the layout of the 5ver. I now have some privacy in my bedroom and the bathroom setup is heaven.I love my bedroom, I love the bigger kitchen sink, the bathroom, the storage space is awesome - I am happy, dh is happy with his new camper and THRILLED with the ease of hooking up and towing and the boys are asking when we can go back out again. Overall we are six very happy campers
I met a Montana owner this weekend that was unaware of this forum. I noticed them the minute I pulled into the campground. They own a beautiful and HUGE Montana. I stopped to chat with them while out walking with the baby and told them about this forum. She was very excited to find out there was a forum like this for Montana owners. Maybe she will find her way here - I hope so anyway.

Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
sixcampers,

Great to hear good news, Thanks for the "Happy Post".

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sixcampers, great post! It always brings a smile to my face to read a post like yours.

Which model do you have?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new Mountaineer. I hope you will have many happy years of memories in your new coach. We can't wait for the local campgorunds to open back up so we can get away in our Mountaineer. See you down the raod.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We are as happy with our Mountaineer today as we were almost 3 years ago when we first got it. We hope you continue to be happy with it as the years pass. We were thinking about getting a non-bunkhouse once all the kids were grown but then we were blessed with a beautiful grand-daughter and have no intention of giving up the bunkhouse any time soon. The bunkhouse model gets a little tight with a crib in it but it is worth it to spend the time with her (and her parents love having the free weekends when we take her even though they are waiting anxiously when we return).
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:01 AM   #6
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913

Sreigle we have the 318BHS model. Dbrill how about putting a bed rail on the bottom bunk vs a crib? I have two year old who sleeps on the bottom bunk and we just put a bed rail on to keep him on the bed. Since you have the same unit you know how big the closet is in the bedroom. My two little guys (2 and 4 yrs old) both want to sleep in our closet. This past weekend we put the two little ones in bed - in the bh and went out to enjoy the campfire but when we came in for the night the 4 yr old was not in his bed. He had gotten up and made a bed for himself in the closet. We let him sleep there for the evening since he looked so darn cute. So much for the privacy I refered to in my post lol.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:52 AM   #7
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
I am planning on coming up with somthing for this year as she will be 1 before we get out for the first time this year. Her first time out she was only 7 weeks old and her mother came along and we were all more comfortable with a crib and we just got used to and used the crib all season.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sixcampers -

Congratulations and welcome. Montanas/Mountaineers are great with the grandkids. Last fall it was great to see our grandson crawl from one end to the other in high speed - head down and movin'. He could cover the distance from the recliners, up the steps to the bedroom in seconds. Now he's walking and we'll really have fun. Already told my daughter that when we retire in about eight years we'll stop by to pick him up in June and we'll have him back in time for school. Alaska bound. Won't be able to have the time until after we retire or I'd do it sooner. Enjoy your new unit. We have about two months to go before our seasonal site opens where our Montana is stored.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:45 AM   #9
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913

All of this talk about kids and granchildren in the campers reminded me of the one complaint I have with our camper and the one before this one.......the placement of the switches for the slides. The SunnyBrook had the slide buttons about two feet up right next to the front door. At least SB had 2 switches - one on and off button and the slide button. The Mountaineer has the slide button on the wall in the hallway going to the bathroom and bedroom. My four year old has come down the stairs and hit that button accidently a few times.
In the Mountaineer the slide starts moving the minute the button is hit - that makes me nervous. I have visions of the little guy getting hurt with the slide coming in unexpectedly.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:49 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sixcampers, this has been a topic of concern in both the Mountaineers and Montanas for quite some time. I think some folks have gone to Home Depot or similar store and purchased a clear plastic cover. Maybe someone will see this and provide specifics.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:52 AM   #11
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913

Yes I have thought of buying on of the child proof protectors for that switch but when I am not in the camper it is one of those out of sight out of mind things lol. Now that it is fresh in my mind I should right myself a note so I do not forget.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:28 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sixccampers,
It is not only children. We have hit the button accidently. If you have the selectors on the slides, you can turn them all off. Might mess up the motor but could save a foot or live. In the 3400, this button could easily have been placed in the washer/dryer closet. Wonder if this could be done now? It should have been up higher and not right beside the light switch. Ours is right next to the switch for the light in the living room fan.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:54 PM   #13
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
We're heading out in our Mountaineer in the next few days for our second big trip. We're going to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. In our 2005 Mountaineer the slide button is up real high over the recliner in the back left corner by the door. It's not easy for me to reach so maybe they changed it this year?
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:10 AM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Hey folks, if you want to child proof your slide rooms, there is a cheap way to do it. If your systems are electric such as in the T/T's, there is nothing you can do except for the switch covers. However, the hydraulic pump for the 5'ers is different.

Go to the pump and locate the green and yellow wires attached to the starter solenoid strapped to the top of the motor. Gently pull each one of those off the spad they are attached to after you get the rooms extended and set-up. If any of the switches are pushed by accident, nothing will happen.

But, don't forget. When closing up to leave the site, make sure each is plugged back to it's spad before you try to close the room. If you do forget, you'll be reminded when you try to retract the rooms.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote