Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
Fabrics

We've been looking at new rv's thinking it's time to get a newer one and although we love our Montana and the new one's are neat - we are disappointed with the fabrics. We are not fond of flower fabrics and prefer rather plain material. Keystone apparently is not offering any plain fabric. Anybody feel like we do? Anybody with suggestions?

THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My only thought would be to order the unit without the couch and other fabric covered areas, i.e., cornice boards uncovered, at a discounted price, and then have it done locally from fabrics you like. Buy the couch elsewhere.

I have been in Montanas where all the OEM furnishings had been replaced with items from a furniture store. It fit and looked plush.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I've often wondered who chooses the fabrics for trailers and motorhomes. There are so many geometric, subyle stripes and small patterns out there that I wonder why they continue to use fabrics that few of us would have in our home.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:05 AM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Here is another area where it would be nice to have more options, i.e., patterned vs. solid upholstery. I know I'd be willing to pay to have that choice.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:36 AM   #5
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We ditto these sentiments! ALL manufacturers seem to think we all want the big, garish flower patterns. Cheryl and I have passed on a number of great units due to the decore (I WILL NOT live in a pink or teal green house!). We've already ditched the beadspread and shams in the bedroom. Luckily the "antiqued" cloth in the living room was muted enough to bear. Sure wouldn't have picked it as a first choice, though....... Funny-- the Open Road we were going to buy had one particular color palat that was terrific in 2004. When we looked at the 2005's, they had dropped it for some freaky trendy pattern. It wasn't hard to envision this pattern going horribly out of style in about three years.....
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Pete ... throwing a lot of pillows (we have 6) in coordinating colors on the couch also helps. We too changed the bedspread and shams, and added a bedskirt. Every little bit helps.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Good thinkin'!! Cheryl and I discussed the thread at lunch. She commented on the bi-polar disorder that the decorators must have. All flowers and pastels in the regular RVs, and all racing motif in the toyboxes. Not that I don't like the racing motif, but who can live in this forever? I'm pretty sure that after a few months of fulltiming in the racing colors, I'd turn into one of the two fry-cook guys in the Dodge truck commercials.

We went with a solid tan beadspread. Made the room look a little larger. We've decided that the J-sofa in the 297RKS is so comfortable, we don't care what they covered it with!!

Good call, too, Stiles!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:04 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have a forum titled something like "What I would tell Keystone if...". I know Keystone reps commented the forum has grown so much they cannot peruse all of it but I'd bet they look at that one regularly. If someone would post these comments in that forum they likely would see it. Or maybe this thread could be moved to that forum?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Have any of you taken the headboard off the wall and redecorated or replaced it? I thought I read somewhere that it's only held up with four screws or something like that and it comes off easily. I haven't had the nerve to try it yet but those florals don't match my patchwork quilt very well....
Old 01-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785

Another forum I used to frequent had a poster that compared the interior of a lot of RV's to that of a bordello....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
We second the motion on the choice of fabric patterns. When Glenda and I were ordering the new 3475 the biggest issue was which pattern to order that we felt was the best of the bad. What was even more frustrating was that we actually saw an interior in a new Montana that we liked. When we tried to order it on ours we were advised by Keystone that this interior was a one off to use up fabric in the factory. So we looked at the 3 offerings according to the newest 2005 brochure (had the 3475 and 3500 in it) and ordered Desert Sunset. Then this past Saturday we went to our dealer to look at a new 3500 that came in. This had an interior called Suede which was not in any brochure.

Glenda is quite frustrated and a little concerned that we may not get even what we ordered!!!
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Adding our two cents worth here. We ditched the bedspread and shams the first time out. Too much pattern (large brown floral seemed to engulf the bedroom) and there was simply too darn much of it and the pillow shams to store someplace when the weather got too warm to leave it folded on end of bed at night. Have replaced w/ a feather duvet w/ a washable cotton cover and matching covers for our own pillows. They store easily by stuffing in a modest sized stuff sack and are easily washable which the originals were not. Would love to remove the head board--waiting to hear the report on that--think it might have been prairiepoodle who removed it. Will also be getting a plain slipcover for the couch--obviously washable as well. I guess that most of us don't fall in love with the furniture in stick houses we buy from other people--so it is not surprising that we want to change things someone else assumes we will like and has chosen for us in our Montanas. I think it's all about individual tastes and wanting to make it our "own". That said, I would have been happy with less floral and more plain fabrics. However, I bet there are a lot of happy floral owners out there too.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:45 PM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
The head board is put on with just a few screws, and should come off very easily. Several here have replaced. Ours was never installed, it is in the pole barn. I would love to put something up there, but Al likes it just like it is, so for now, it stays, plain.

Also ditched the bedspread. Never had ANY of the drapes installed, they are also in a bag in the basement.

Eventually ditched the sofasleeperfromhe**, got a futon.

Someone at the rally put up a headboard that was gorgeous, shoot, cannot remember who it was, sorry.

Fill holes from removal of headboard with white wood putty.

Have fun!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #14
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Carol ... it was John Bozarth (JLBOZ60) who installed that beautiful oak mission-style headboard. And I've seen several rigs w/o the standard headboard.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:22 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
RIGHT VICKI!!

That was it, John's rig, and was that a beautiful headboard or what?? OOOOEEEEE, he had to watch me back out the door to make sure I did NOT have it under my arm! VERY SHARP!!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #16
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Ditto with the rest of you on patterns and colors. We have the Desert Sunset and the sofa and valances aren't too bad, did take down the side curtains. Ditched the bedspread which I replaced with a soft sage comforter, shams and side curtains out, still going to replace the valances probably will make full curtains...these all are stored in stick home. Glad to know about the headboard - it will be the next to go

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:20 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the info, folks. Maybe this will give me courage to remove ours. We're hesitant to add holes or remove stuff so far. Guess we need to loosen up a little, literally. Sounds like you all have made some great changes to your Montanas.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:09 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here is the headboard built by JLBOZ60.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote