Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Thank you

Thank you for the improvements and innovative ideas over the years. Some were home runs, others not so much. Over all we have been very happy with our 2017 HC 353RL, but there are a couple items I would like Keystone to do better with.

1st, condensation. A/C condensation pools at the back corners of the roof, then runs down the trim channel at the back. This allows water to seep into the screw holes. I'm not sure how this escaped the design / testing phases but it was a major miss, IMO.

2nd, switches. Who puts a switch for a hitch light inside the coach??? Why wouldn't the switch be located somewhere outside??? Most of the switches in the control panel area, under the wine rack, and on the theater seating slide seem as if their was absolutely zero thought given to their placement.

I realize some problems that many have can be traced back to a specific manufacturer, (lippert, thetford, dometic, and so on...) and while covered by warrranty, are not the fault of Keystone design / workmanship. That is not true of the above listed items.

Thanks for a great product over all.

Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks to you! We seldom get folks who are generally happy with their rig posting here.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Thanks to you! We seldom get folks who are generally happy with their rig posting here.
I have noticed that...while some appear to have legit gripes, it seems others expect absolute perfection, which will never happen. It puts manufacturers in a no win situation. I expected to have to do some work on my unit some when I purchased it new, but we should never have to re-engineer standard features to prevent (in my case water) damage. Over all, my previous Cougar, and now my Montana HC have/will provide years of relatively trouble free enjoyment.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Denny, Excellent questions! We purchased a 2017 3950BR and almost all the light switches are on the control panel. When you walk into the unit in the dark you have to fumble your way to the control panel or one the overhead lights.
During the National Rally next week, I have a meeting with the GM of Retail Opns. I will bring up both your questions and send a PM with the results. Also, during the National Rally, Keystone sends a technician to your rig to address issues with the attendees units. A great reason to attend the rally.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former StClairSailor View Post
Denny, Excellent questions! We purchased a 2017 3950BR and almost all the light switches are on the control panel. When you walk into the unit in the dark you have to fumble your way to the control panel or one the overhead lights.
During the National Rally next week, I have a meeting with the GM of Retail Opns. I will bring up both your questions and send a PM with the results. Also, during the National Rally, Keystone sends a technician to your rig to address issues with the attendees units. A great reason to attend the rally.
Thank you for taking these items to the rally.
I solved my condensation issue by putting pieces of aluminum angle down on the roof, held down by using dicor lap sealant (no screws thru the roof), directing the water over the side before it can pool in the back. Not the best looking, but its on the roof, so...
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=71507

With the lights, I have re arranged which switch controls which light using some jumpers, but some will require more work to move/relocate.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
[QUOTE=Denny and Angie Miller;1073877

With the lights, I have re arranged which switch controls which light using some jumpers, but some will require more work to move/relocate.[/QUOTE]

We didn't figure out how to operate the fan or the main interior lights until our third trip out. Really badly placed switches.
We purchased a motion detector light (like the one in the pantry) to replace the hall light. This way, we can turn on the light at the switch and leave it on if we want it to come on when we are out at night or to simply light the stairs in the middle of the night. During the day we can just turn it off at the switch. Hopefully this will work for us.

One of our gripes was the dining table. There is plenty of room to get to the pantry without pulling out the slide if they had just turned it sideways. Of course, you have a heck of a time getting the screws back in if you do it yourself and the table is so flimsy that it needs the screws if you are planning on actually using it. We replaced the table with a square one that has two leaves on either end. This allows me to move freely thoughout the back of the coach. Simple solution. The table stays put and the screws are unnecessary to hold it in place. One of the best things I did.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post

Hi

We are not unhappy with our rig now that we have corrected the manufacturing defects. As a matter of fact we just passed 100,000 miles on the Montana and I am impressed with how the house is holding up.

However we are very unhappy with the Keystone manufacturing process and their customer service and will not purchase another Keystone / Thor product for this reason.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I think we all know many, many Montana owners that are overall very happy to own and even repurchase another Montana, like ourselves.

Over the last year on this forum I have grown increasingly tired of those that bash Keystone/Montana over and over again.

If you have a complaint/ problem as we all do from time to time of course we all want to know these things but I for one don't need to re-read your saga over and over again in every new thread that shows.

If you have become so disheartened with your Montana that is your choice but may the rest of us continue to be excited about what we have purchased.

Again thanks to all for the good and bad and hopefully we can all learn from these experiences.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
You don’t like the idea that I will not do business with a company that has lied to me, lied about me and cheated me out of a large sum of money?

Too bad

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarMar View Post
I think we all know many, many Montana owners that are overall very happy to own and even repurchase another Montana, like ourselves.

Over the last year on this forum I have grown increasingly tired of those that bash Keystone/Montana over and over again.

If you have a complaint/ problem as we all do from time to time of course we all want to know these things but I for one don't need to re-read your saga over and over again in every new thread that shows.

If you have become so disheartened with your Montana that is your choice but may the rest of us continue to be excited about what we have purchased.

Again thanks to all for the good and bad and hopefully we can all learn from these experiences.
Well said sir...
I too am already tired of those that just want to bash at every opportunity. If you've had a problem, by all means share it and how you fixed it so the rest of us can learn from each other...someone will always find a better way to address an issue...thats what makes this forum so great.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #11
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
We have been very happy with our 3950BR, yes we had some minor issues that were taken care of

Since then we have put 10,000 plus miles on it with no problems. However they could have put a little thought into the light switches, some make no sense at all.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #12
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
Thank you for the improvements and innovative ideas over the years. Some were home runs, others not so much. Over all we have been very happy with our 2017 HC 353RL, but there are a couple items I would like Keystone to do better with.

1st, condensation. A/C condensation pools at the back corners of the roof, then runs down the trim channel at the back. This allows water to seep into the screw holes. I'm not sure how this escaped the design / testing phases but it was a major miss, IMO.

2nd, switches. Who puts a switch for a hitch light inside the coach??? Why wouldn't the switch be located somewhere outside??? Most of the switches in the control panel area, under the wine rack, and on the theater seating slide seem as if their was absolutely zero thought given to their placement.

I realize some problems that many have can be traced back to a specific manufacturer, (lippert, thetford, dometic, and so on...) and while covered by warrranty, are not the fault of Keystone design / workmanship. That is not true of the above listed items.

Thanks for a great product over all.
We bought a 370BR and have only been able to go out 1 week, but are leaving for another tomorrow. After the week, I had the dealer add slide covers and gave a small list of needs. Nothing major so far, but the MCD blinds in my Cougar were great, in the Montana I'm waiting on the 4th to be replaced. All blinds will be replaced later with something better. I also notice the AC condensation coming along the trim and will add caulk to what is already there in the rear. The next 10 days will see how the dealer addressed the noted problems and if anything else is found.
We will be on the road the month of November and again January through March. I will say, I had zero problems with the Cougar and at the end of the 1st year only a fender skirt needed replaced. The trim installation in the Cougar was completed much more professionally too. Still happy~~
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote