Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
FIRE WARNING - ELECTRIC FIRE PLACE

It has been posted before but I need to post again. For the last month I have been smelling burned wiring off and on. Today the fireplace quit working (thank goodness). The black power cord connection screws were loose causing it to get real hot. Hot enough to melt the casing for the splice. Photos follow later today. Lucky for us it did not cause a fire.
If you smell burned wires and have a fire place please check them.

I believe I tightened these leads before. If you notice the failed part is not at the screw tension area but the crimp area that I would not normally check.

Here is a link to the fire place removal slide show.

Remember to unplug the fire place if you are going to work on it!

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Seems fireplaces have been an ongoing problem with loose connections. Same with connections at the distribution panel. A loose connection can certainly cause enough heating to start a fire. And a circuit breaker only protects against a short or overcurrent in a cirucit. It does not protect against a bad or loose connection that can overheat even though the current is below the breaker rating.
I haven't done it, but with all the bouncing and vibrating that goes on, it should probably be a regular check list item to check all connections that can reasonably be accessed.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John, did you originally check the connections at purchase and they loosened up again, or is it the factory looseness?

I ask because I pulled mine and tightened everything down after delivery, but haven't gone back in since then.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Sounds like something Keystone should know about.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Is it hard to get at these connections
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I checked my FP and connections. They were OK but what a mess was left behind the unit by the workers.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

Not trying to cause trouble, but it does seem wierd to see combustible liquids stored next to the fireplace in your slideshow (Kingsford charcoal starter) . I realize the fireplace flames are fake, but you nearly proved it has the potential to change to real flame without a lot of warning.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

John,

Not trying to cause trouble, but it does seem wierd to see combustible liquids stored next to the fireplace in your slideshow (Kingsford charcoal starter) . I realize the fireplace flames are fake, but you nearly proved it has the potential to change to real flame without a lot of warning.

VALID point. They were set by the door to go into the front compartment. Boy the photos tell all. lol
They are now where they belong. Thanks.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When one of the six senses kick in, it's time to start really thinking of what is going on. It's like Mother Nature knocking. You had better answer the call.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
John, you should have told them that it was a fake fireplace and the can was fake charcoal started.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks for the slide show. Hope I won't need the info, but I have it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
wild willy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8295
John, That picture looks exactly like the one I took and sent to Keystone. We had ours checked at Big Sky RV at Bozeman MT. and they said there was nothing wrong with it but I felt uneasy about it and took it apart myself. Big Sky also was supposed to fix a couple other things which had to be redone once we got back to Portland. Any body else had problems with Big Sky RV? I would suggest if you are in the area and have problems if possible head up to Missoula to Bretz RV. Good people there.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
John, You are so lucky finding that problem before before it started a real fire.
I guess that your situation just re-enforces my belief that we do not need a fireplace. In my opinion it is just one very expensive electric heater. For that kind of money I can buy many quartz heaters and use that space to store them.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Good advice and a new weekend project!! By the way, we use Loctite on our power input terminals in the lab to reduce contact resistance and overheating from loose connections - FYI.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:57 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
John, that is exactly what happened to our fireplace a few years ago and like you, we thank God that the broken connection shut it down before fire broke out. Since then, we never leave the fireplace on unattended or when we are sleeping.

We do love the fireplace though and would not want to be without it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote