Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
Kenleys Oompah
Established Member

M.O.C. #18656
Are all Camping Worlds this bad?

After having a tire blowout on the way home from Georgia, I brought my Mountaineer to Camping World of Oxford (Alabama) to get the damage repaired. Nice looking place, lots of activity. Attentive, almost excited service lady.

Left the camper there and left town for over two weeks. Last time I had an issue (different dealer), USAA had been on top of everything and my repairs were done smoothly.

Got home, called in, couldn't get a return call. Called the folks who do the appraisals. CW had not yet sent photos of the damage. Finally got through to the service department. USAA uses my first name on the policy (thanks, USAF), unlike myself, and when the paperwork came in to CW, no one there had enough on the ball to even look for units left there by someone with the same last name (and the same address). So the camper was there for three weeks, nothing accomplished.

The service lady said that now the mystery was solved, she was on top of everything. A week later, still no photos to the appraisers. Three days of phone calls, no return call from her. I called and left a message for the service department manager this morning, and he hasn't returned my call either.

I'm making the drive to Anniston tomorrow to see if anyone is actually working on the service department and try to get some questions answered. My worst fear is that no one has even ordered parts to repair the damage, or the (non-insurance) gray water tank damage. Thirty days and squat.

Is this normal? Doesn't say much for Camping World. If I didn't have to be out of town most of last month, I'd have gone there sooner. But heck, I don't think I should have to stand on someone's neck until work gets done.

2006 Mountaineer 329RLT
2011 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7
Kenleys Oompah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
While you may find a good Camping World or two, for the most part I wouldn't trust them with a Tent.
I took the Camping World of Bartow, FL up on a "Free" Roof inspection. Per their inspection our roof was in terrible shape, needed major repairs to fix leaks, which was news to us since we hadn't seen any signs of leaks. We were headed to Holiday, FL, so I said we'd have the work done there. Well I did buy some sealant, but when I went up on the roof I couldn't find anything wrong and we never did develop any leaks. Sure glad I didn't just cave-in and say fix it...........
Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The Camping World in Albuquerque, NM has always done right by us. Other than that it's hit and miss with Camping world with more misses than hits IMHO.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Goin 4 Broke
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15975
Well I could go on a major rant against my experience with CW. At least the one in NW burbs of Chicago is horrible. The couple others I have used in Florida Jacksonville area were no better.

We bought our 2013 3900FB new in January of 2015. They did a great deal on the price and it was the floor plan we wanted. Closing the deal PDI and paperwork was worse than a root canal. We had a list of items missing/broken and they took over a week to remedy them. Then the real fun started.

They moved the license plate from our trade but never filed the paperwork. One year later and we had to go back and they issued a new temp tag. Three months later when the temp,tag expired, and no less than 6 unreturned phone calls I went in for a face to face. They could not issue a new temp tag and still had not resolved the title paperwork. We had to go to the DMV and file for an extension. The DMV then gave us paperwork to file a police report for improper actions by a licensing agent.

Still no plates and no calls back from CW. I guess I have to go back in person and raise another stink. I pray that we have no issues that require insurance claim or title actions with the fiancé company.

I won't even get into the delays in obtaining service. That is for another day's rant. I will never ever buy from CW again.
Goin 4 Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Yes, that's normal... for CW of Oxford. I had a very similar problem. I had them order a decorative screw that went in the chandelier for me. They were to call when it came in. I made a temporary repair to the chandelier, so I didn't really need it, so I decided to wait just to see how long it would take. After 3 months, no call. So, I called them and found out they ordered and received it but lost it. Another 3 months, no call. So, I called them again and found out the WHOLE Chandelier had been received and sitting on someone's desk. They never called. When I told them I only needed the screw, they wanted me to bring my rig in (80 miles) and "put it in line" so they could install the screw. I told them to mail me they screw. Of course they didn't want to, but I finally convinced them. After two weeks I had still not received the screw so I called again. They finally sent... the whole chandelier! I took the screw out, used it, and still have the chandelier.

I also had problems with them misdiagnosing an AC problem and a refer problem. I'm almost glad I'm out of the warranty period!

I think it depends on the individual CW. I had a good experience with CW of Robertsdale, AL in the past. But, my last trip down there was very negative. I found out the only person in the service department (a service writer) that really cared got fired. I understand it was for taking too long with customers - probably being too responsive. Figures...

Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I go to the CW store only as a last resort and NEVER, EVER do I go to the RV sales or service departments.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:06 AM   #7
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Camping World of Oxford used to be Dandy RV. Was so sorry to hear Jim Cooly had sold out to Camping World. My unit was bought in 2012 from Dandy and sales and service was first class. I recommended Dandy to a lot of folks.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
My experience,bad. I drove 25 miles to CW just to buy a new roof vent cover for our refrigerator. I asked guy behind (service) counter, is this the one that fits for our brand? Gave him camper make and model, fridge make, he says yes that is the one. Drove home went to install,guess what? wrong one. Gave me one that ONLY fits Norcold. Called had to leave message,no response,called again,had to leave message,no response. Finally drove back 25 miles to see if they had proper one and exchange. No apology, no nothing,like who cares.At this point I am glad I do not have to deal with them any longer.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:35 AM   #9
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Camping World of Northern Michigan has always treated us well.

Keep in mind, it's not the business you are having the issue with, it's the people you're dealing with. Maybe try another person or move up the ladder. I understand your frustration. Sometimes management may be unaware of a problem until it's brought to their attention.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:11 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Lucky you. You got one of the good ones ours is worse.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:28 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Go to the rv.net Open Roads forum and then to the Camping World Service and Installation forum and post about your problems. You will get a response from the "Good Sam Care Team" requesting contact info. It may or may not help with your situation, but worth a try.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:46 AM   #12
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
You usually have to complain to Marcus Lemonis the CEO president to get action. They cheated me out of thousands in their Canton store.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
With this type of service, and everybody knows about it why do people keep rewarding them and punishing the dealers by going to them????
Lynwood
Old 08-24-2016, 05:47 AM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Same for me!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

I go to the CW store only as a last resort and NEVER, EVER do I go to the RV sales or service departments.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:02 AM   #15
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Just about done with my warranty period. During that time used two CWs - first one was a terrible experience and the second was pretty good.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #16
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have two CWs within a couple hundred miles here in NC. Statesville has treated us good, Fayetteville has not.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:07 AM   #17
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Unfortunately Camping World is like Walmart. They come into an area and the mom and pops can't compete price wise. The RV manufactures will give CW preferential treatment because of the high volume of purchases.
I can't blame the mom and pops refusing to do warranty work on units purchased from CW.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:42 AM   #18
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by psomers

Unfortunately Camping World is like Walmart. They come into an area and the mom and pops can't compete price wise. The RV manufactures will give CW preferential treatment because of the high volume of purchases.
I can't blame the mom and pops refusing to do warranty work on units purchased from CW.
Particulary when Keystone routinely is stingy on labor hours approved. Between that and time wasted on coordination/documentation, not worth their time.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:52 AM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Our little local shop gets a lot of work because of CW. They haft to fix what CW screws up. No joke.
Lynwood
Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #20
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
I have to give kudos to the Camping World of Strafford, just outside of Springfield MO. We have purchased two 5ers from them; a SOB and our current Montana. They have been very good to work with addressing warranty items on both rigs. On the SOB I took it in for some warranty work and while they were working on it they also found a cracked weld in the frame that they repaired as well, all under warranty.

They currently are doing a warranty repair on a SOB toy hauler we also have (yes we're a two RV family), even though the unit was not bought from them and they don't handle that brand at their store.

They may be one of the few outstanding Camping Worlds, but they have been very good working with us on all issues.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote