Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Hershey PA

Arrived at the 1000 Trails park in Hershey today, nice digs!!!! Many Montanas, Big Sky and Mountaineers here..... If any MOCers in the area, come on by, We are in the H loop in site 36.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Glad to know you like the 1000Trails there. We haven't gotten out that far yet and would like to try that one.

We love Hershey, PA; the street lights shaped like "kisses". But the only time we were there the workers were on strike so they had a skeleton crew working some of the attractions but most of it was shut down. We can hardly wait to go back.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If you haven't done it yet, be sure to take the trolley car from Hershey Park to get the "real" Hershey story. We were there last fall and really had a great time!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
We use to live in that area 35 years ago. Be sure to visit Root's at Manheim or Green Dragon at Ephrata (I think this is the correct town for Green Dragon). They are interesting places - large markets where they sell anything you can think of. Roots is every Tues. and Green Dragon is every Friday. Also Sight & Sound down in the tourist area below Lancaster. Lots to see in the area - enjoy your visit!
Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Phil, you and Cathy could not have picked a more centralized location for touring. Besides Hershey itself, there are so many day trips out of Hershey. Head south to Lancaster County and the Penna Dutch Country.
East to Reading (my hometown for 50 years) and Philadelphia.
West to Harrisburg, the state capital.
Southwest to Gettysburg
Silverbirds recommendation of Root's and Green Dragon are excellent and YES it is Ephrata, Lorraine was born in the Ephrata Hospital. Of the 2 Green Dragon was and is my favorite.
If you like buffets and who doesn't you gotta go to Shady Maple just east of Blue Ball on route 23 There is also Miller's Smorgasbord on 30 east of Lancaster. You get even close to either and ask anyone and they will direct you without problem.
There is way to much to do in that area. I hope you have allotted enough time. I wish I was still at my daughters place than I could act as your tour guide.
I hope you don't but If needed there is a VA hospital in Lebanon just 15 miles east of Hershey. Just don't go in with Kidney stones for they may want to send you to the Bronx. Yes it's the same VA hospital that got me to head back to Florida.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We are here for three weeks as of last Tuesday. We are looking forward to our stay here and will heed advice from all of you. In fact, headed for Harrisburg tomorrow, after an oil change in Palmyra. Can't wait to do the Hershey tour and many others in the area. We are here with my sister and BIL, who have toured this area before.

Glenn, Good luck with your medical procedures, I'm sure you will do OK. Will keep the VA Hosp in mind if needed.....

Larry, We had to go to Hershey today, sister is a Starbucks addict, and saw the trolley you are talking about, can't wait!!!

Silverbird, we love those open air markets.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, the Harley Davidson plant is about 35 miles from you, in York. It's an excellent tour. Since H-D just announced a bunch of layoffs and temporary plant closings, it might be wise to call first, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, Cathy was so glad to hear that last one-----------NOT!!!!! Maybe I can talk my BIL into going with me.....
Old 07-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Yea, the HD plant in York is a must. We stayed at the 1000 trails in Hershey for a weekend a few years back only to hear the sales talk, thank them and said no thanks. However, we were pleased with the park. It was Thanksgiving weekend and still lots of activities.

Many things to do in the Lancaster county area. Yes, Green Dragon is in Ephrata on Fridays only. We go there each year with our Good Sam club and dry camp on Thursday night, do the flea market thing and them move up to Denver, Pa to a campground for the rest of the weekend. The place is packed with dry campers. Make sure you go to the town of Intercourse to the Kitchen Kettle Village (closed Sunday). They sell salsas, jams, pickles, etc. By sure to buy a jar of Peach Salsa. It is to die for!

If you like Antiquing - go to Adamstown. You will find lots to do. Oh yes, check the Strasburg RR in Strasburg. Enjoy but watch out for those Amish in their buggies.

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, Vicki surprised me. I think she actually enjoyed the tour. It was very interesting.

Tell Cathy she can drive!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
Not to rain on the HD parade, however, we were up there just a couple weeks ago and they are pretty slow. And the fact that they are building '10 model year bikes, the tour was severely shortened. (You are not supposed to see the '10 model year until they are released at the dealer show in late July....)

The same day we were at the Herr's potato chip factory. Very informative and free samples....
Rescue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We visited the Shady Maple buffet.....very good.

Did the Harley Davidson tour which was shortened because of the '10 model production. They're coming out next week so they will be going back to the longer tour. The short version is still a great tour as you get to go right into the factory and see the presses and processes up close. Arrive earlier as the tours fill up. We were just there last week (7/15). They must change those motorcycles out, Steve, as the sidecar bike was maroon when we were there. Great picture!

The Strasburg Railroad Museum is a must-see for enthusiasts. There's also a creamery on the main
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote