Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
2nd Air Conditioner

I know this has been discussed before, but I just wanted to let folks know I added a second air conditioner.... and I did it myself!

My '05 3685FL came prewired for the second unit, so that wasn't an issue. In fact, I only had two problems to overcome.

1. getting the new AC up 12 feet in the air without dropping the new AC or damaging the roof of my beloved Montana.

2. Removing the Fantastic Fan so I could use that location.

I solved the first problem by buying two 16 foot 4x4's at the local lumber store. I loaded the new AC into the back of my pickup, then backed up to the Montana. Put the 4x4's into the bed of the pickup and GENTLY leaned them against my Montana. I screwed two short 1x4 boards at the top and bottom to keep the 4x4's from spreading. Now I had an inclined plane to slide the AC up.... (sorry, didn't think about taking pictures.) Tied a rope to the AC and climbed up on top of the Montana. I laid a carpet on the roof to protect the membrane, and a half sheet of plywood on top of that for added protection. I employed my brawny son to help me pull the AC up the 4x4's by the rope. It was EASY!!

Removing the fantastic fan was not hard, but you have to clean off all the sealant the techs put on during factory installation. Serious overkill here....

Gently aligned the new AC with the vent hole and the rest was simple. Wiring was very straightforward, but make sure shore power is disconnected for your own safety. In fact, unless you are confident with your electrical abilities, you may want to have a qualifed electrician do the hookup. Just three wires so it won't be very expensive.

Just wanted to share my experience...

montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I think you will be happy with the second AC. I know we have used it quite a bit this summer when it was 95+ outside and high humidity. These Montana's are just too big for one to cool it properly in my opinion.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks for sharing this with the forum. Was the wiring for the second A/C located at the fantastic fan location. Ours is located in the bedroom area by the skylight vent.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
On my 3685 the main AC is installed in the very back of the trailer over the bedroom, and the second was installed over the front living room area. Makes for a very tall trailer though. I measured and think I am at 13'4".
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:37 AM   #5
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I have been thinking about adding a 2nd A/C unit to my 2006 Mountaineer 329RLS (It's Pre-Wired for the 2nd unit - 50 AMP Service). As the Rig is new I really haven't investigated all the utilities fully, so my question is: When adding a 2nd A/C is the wiring at electrical panel hooked into a breaker servicing the 2nd A/C, or are the wires just terminated at the panel, and I wouild have to add another breaker to service the 2nd A/C?

Thanks For Any Info
JPB
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Adder it to ours this year made world of difference with 2nd AC, these units are big and need the extra AC in my opinion.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:05 AM   #7
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
I installed a Carrier low profile 15K btu as a second A/C in my coach. It only stand 8" taller (I think was the measurement) and stays cool as a cucumber.
Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
I just got home from a business trip to Orlando (with a play trip to Charlotte for the races on the return leg). My second AC makes the height just over 13 feet. Low overpasses are well marked, but you can't trust fuel stop canopies. I pulled into a station in SC and the low canopy made me nervous. I only pulled the TV under and when I finished fueling, I climbed the ladder at the rear of the trailer and "eyeballed" the clearance. Rough estimate says the canopy was about an inch lower than my AC, which would have been disasterous had I just pulled under.

So..... make sure you check clearances before driving under anything.....
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
I put a heat strip in my second AC in the bedroom! Enjoy that as much for taking the chill out of the bedroom in the off seasons as I enjoy the AC for removing the heat in summer.
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
DrivesBGM
Did you have to do additional wiring? Was your unit wired for 2nd AC? What is the brand that also has heat strip? Come on - tell all.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
DrivesBGM, you had to know that was going to get a reaction! Details, please!

And Chad, can you give me an idea of the cost one one of those low Carriers? And installation costs/thoughts?

Thanks
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We also would like to know the cost of the one with heat strip. Also do we need to add another circuit for the 2nd airconditioner and heat strip? Need one with low clearance too. Any suggestions on any of this?
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 PM   #13
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
I want to say I had about $700 in the carrier low profile. The installation was very easy and took about an hour. The only thing I had a problem with was the 4 included hold down bolts. They were just not long enough. I had to get some longer bolts from Lowes to get the gasket compressed and I then installed teh shorter supplied bolts. Hope this helps!
Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:24 PM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you. What is the brand name of the unit you installed?
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #15
Buddin
Established Member

M.O.C. #818
Had the dealer mount the 2nd AC in the bedroom. Only problem is that it gets too cold! Only seems to have off, on, high and low, no therostat like the front unit. Use it to cool won the unit upon arrival and then turn it off.
Buddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
DUO THERM (Dometic) has their Low Profile Penguin models 11,000 to 15,000 btu that are 9 1/2" Tall. We plan on putting one on our new 3650RK this coming spring. They run about $650to $890 depending how fancy you want the unit. Didn't mean to butt in, just wanted you to know.

Hope to see you down the road Later John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am putting the Duo Therm Low pro Penguin 15k with heat strip in my coach this spring as soon as it comes out of winter storage. Total cost including istall and tax $1,089.93
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:15 AM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave
Was you unit prewired for the 2nd AC? If so, was extra wiring needed for the heat strip? I'm not sure we will ever be anywhere we need the extra AC but our unit is prewired for it. Ours wasn't bad last summer at 110 but the AC did run a lot. We aren't spending next summer that hot - there has to be someplace in this country that is cooler in the summer!
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
I had mine prewired for the second a/c when I ordered the coach. The guys at the shop tell me everything I need for the a/c I want installed is already there. All they have to do is take out the vent and vent cover & drop in the new a/c. The heat strip is built into the a/c unit so no additional wiring is needed.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:02 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sue, good luck finding a cooler summer spot... maybe the North Slope, AK??? Although, wasn't it so warm there last year that they had to shorten the Iditerod sled race for lack of snow? No help here in N. Mich... mid to upper 90's combined with 75% to 100% humidity last summer. Many construction crews were on a 4 AM to noon shift due to heat advisories.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote