Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Dripping EMPTY Fresh Water Tank Low Drain

I had to fill the Fresh water tank and use the water pump for the FIRST EVER time this winter at an RV Park that was shutting off the water due to possible freezing. After leaving I removed the low point drain cap so it would empty. Since parking after that, it kept dripping slowly and now days later its dripping even more.
Is it possible the old, never before used water pump has a check valve or other issue that would permit water to flow back into the tank?

Suggestions?
I sure hope I don't have to replace a "never" used water pump...

Thanks!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
When I pulled the bottom off to install my hitch, I couldn't believe how much water was still in the tank after draining it. It even has a low point in the tank where the hose drain is. Take a heavy stick and push up on the bottom of trailer right of the drain hose. I bet you still get more water.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
My drain has a twist shut off valve and a cap. The cap is not water tight.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I agree about the water tank low point drain not being the lowest point. The tanks are just laid in the frame with a couple of straps holding them up. The tank kinda bows down in-between the straps creating small pockets of water. Your grey and black tanks are mounted the same. Just put the drain cap back on ... mine seals as there is a rubber grommet inside the cap. Flush it out with a little Clorox water later on if you don't use it for a while.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
My worry is I've left the drain cap OFF for over a week and the drip has increased to where its a near constant drip, which makes me think that somehow water is going into the Fresh water tank.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

My worry is I've left the drain cap OFF for over a week and the drip has increased to where its a near constant drip, which makes me think that somehow water is going into the Fresh water tank.
After a week, that does not sound right. Agree with you, something may well be feeding into the tank. If possible, I would turn off the water supply, drain my low points, wait a couple of hours and see if the dripping stops. If it does, and when you turn the water back on the dripping starts back up, then you know for sure.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
The valve in the convenience center that controls the power fill of fresh water tank could be leaking, or not totally in the "Normal" position. Try turning it to "Power Fill" and then firmly back to "Normal".

....or, it could be a leaky check valve on the water pump.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I looked over my Pump and found a coiled hose connected to a T-Valve (for pumping Bleach into the water system? Nothing in my owners manual about it). I opened it but then water eventually leaked out of it. My 05 doesn't have a convenience center, so my best guess now is the Pump Check Valve is bad (RV.net search IDed this as an occasional problem) and ordered a Shurflo check valve rebuild kit from AMAZON. Another solution could be to add a inline check valve past the pump...
Recently removed the water heater check valve as it failed (I never pump anti-freeze). I guess my 05 is just getting too old.