Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
Tomandcolleen

M.O.C. #20869
Roofing membrane

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it is safe to paint a waterproof membrane on the roof fabric of a 2003 Montana 5th wheel. Our coating is worn off of the fabric to the point of being almost bare. What products can be used to safely re-coat the fabric? I guess we need to get this done before I sustain damage to the fabric itself.
TomandColleen

Tomandcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
There are a number of products out there, Dicor, Hengs, etc. Google "RV Roof coating"

If yours is too deteriated, it may need to be replaced rather than coated. Probably should consult with an expert to determine what to do.

Call Ron at RV Roof Repair 916-284-7067.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
Check out RVRoof.com. We had great results on our last Montana.
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #4
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Are you sure you need to do anything at all. Mine is a 2005 and in good shape. I don't put anything on it but soap and water.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post
Are you sure you need to do anything at all. Mine is a 2005 and in good shape. I don't put anything on it but soap and water.
My 2008 still looks pretty good ,but the last couple years , I have started seeing white residue on my driveway after a rainstorm. IMO thats the beginning of the end. Yours being 3 years older I would think you are also starting to get some deterioration.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Tomandcolleen

M.O.C. #20869
Thanks for your reply. I have talked to a number of people about my roof. Four companies have come to look at it. The fabric on mine is still ok, but the rubber coating has deteriorated, causing the "white residue" which you see on your driveway. My residue started showing up about 2 years ago. If you are seeing this now, then I suggest you have someone look at iyour roof fairly soon. The guy that I chose to do my re-coating has been doing it for about 20 years and his price is pretty reasonable. The quotes which I received (in Arizona) ranged from $350.00 to as high as $1,200.00. My guy is charging $450.00 to thoroughly clean the roof, seal around all vents and apply 2 coats of Elastomeric roof sealer. Some of the other contractors said this wouldn't stick and would only last for a year or less (they also wanted a lot more money to "do it right"). My guy says I should get at least 5 years out of it, even in the Arizona desert. I painted my stucco house with an Elastomeric product about 4 years ago (without cleaning it) and have had zero issues with it, so I decided to take the chance. I'll let you know how I make out!
Tomandcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandcolleen View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have talked to a number of people about my roof. Four companies have come to look at it. The fabric on mine is still ok, but the rubber coating has deteriorated, causing the "white residue" which you see on your driveway. My residue started showing up about 2 years ago. If you are seeing this now, then I suggest you have someone look at iyour roof fairly soon. The guy that I chose to do my re-coating has been doing it for about 20 years and his price is pretty reasonable. The quotes which I received (in Arizona) ranged from $350.00 to as high as $1,200.00. My guy is charging $450.00 to thoroughly clean the roof, seal around all vents and apply 2 coats of Elastomeric roof sealer. Some of the other contractors said this wouldn't stick and would only last for a year or less (they also wanted a lot more money to "do it right"). My guy says I should get at least 5 years out of it, even in the Arizona desert. I painted my stucco house with an Elastomeric product about 4 years ago (without cleaning it) and have had zero issues with it, so I decided to take the chance. I'll let you know how I make out!
Pretty sure mine doe not have much time left, will address it this fall ,before another winter. Thanks for the info. Not sure I want to spend a great amount on this 12 year old fifth wheel. May try one of the more mentioned products that are painted on . I keep a pretty close eye on the roof ,touching up the chalk, and any signs of tears or whatever. So far no signs of any leaks.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #8
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
Quote:
There are some RV roof people advertising in Bullhead City that they will do it for $500. Not saying what they use. Not sure where you live. I live I Havasu
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjobal View Post
There are some RV roof people advertising in Bullhead City that they will do it for $500. Not saying what they use. Not sure where you live. I live I Havasu
Thats good to know, would you have any more info what RV people that would be ?? We are staying in Bullhead City for a couple weeks starting mid Feb. I would like to contact them on what their process is while I am there . Thanks
Old 01-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
I used Liquid Rubber for my slide roofs. Use Eterna-bond first, if needed, then Liquid Rubber.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UHYGBE..._6.KmEb1N9ECSC
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #11
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I am going to look into the liquid rubber like McRod has done. I picked up my trailer today from storage and I do have quite a bit of white residue. Has anyone else used this product? My roof is still good but if I can put some liquid rubber on to extend the life I might do it.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #12
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
roof coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Thats good to know, would you have any more info what RV people that would be ?? We are staying in Bullhead City for a couple weeks starting mid Feb. I would like to contact them on what their process is while I am there . Thanks
I contacted the add. The guys name is Jake Lee Johnson 619 343 7461. The price he is saying is $500 His reply to me : 619-343-7461 Jake thank you. hope it works out
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #13
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
It is EPDM Rubber and chalking is normal The Chalk is just white pigment used to color the roof so it is only cosmetic
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #14
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it is safe to paint a waterproof membrane on the roof fabric of a 2003 Montana 5th wheel. Our coating is worn off of the fabric to the point of being almost bare. What products can be used to safely re-coat the fabric? I guess we need to get this done before I sustain damage to the fabric itself.
TomandColleen
Another product you may try is Henry's. It's sold at Home Depot.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #15
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Another product you may try is Henry's. It's sold at Home Depot.
I've used both Hengs and Dicor (specific to EDPM rv roof material). Both dry to a very thin coating. I'll need to re-do the Hengs soon...lasted 3+ years. Some of the others are much thicker, I'm sure they would last longer.

Labor's the same no matter which you use, so better off using higher quality materials and only do it once.

Don't think I'd use the elastomopheric coating from Home Depot on EDPM.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:46 PM   #16
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
This is the Henry's you want.
887 Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone White Roof Coating
$269 @ Home Depot and over $500 on Amazon
I'm going to put it on in a couple of weeks. All good reviews from RV applications.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:10 PM   #17
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjobal View Post
I contacted the add. The guys name is Jake Lee Johnson 619 343 7461. The price he is saying is $500 His reply to me : 619-343-7461 Jake thank you. hope it works out
Great. Thank you. I will contact him when I get down there, and see what process he does, and what product.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:27 PM   #18
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
prndl let me know how it goes and how much you used. Are you planning on putting it over the caulking around vents and A/C?
Old 01-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #19
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post
prndl let me know how it goes and how much you used. Are you planning on putting it over the caulking around vents and A/C?
From the instructions it looks like I will use 4-4.5 gallons for my 33" trailer and two slides for one coat. I am going to buy two 5 gallon buckets and do it with a second coat on the following day. If I have any leftover it is still cheaper than getting one large bucket and adding additional Gallons at $60 each.

I am going to put it over the caulking and the eternabond. From the comments from the people who have used it that is the way to go. If there is an area that has a big gob of dicor I will probably shave it down or remove it all together. There is a special Henry 100% silicone caulk and crack sealant to use prior to the final application but I don't have any cracks and/or other problem to make me think I need to use it.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #20
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Prndl please post photos when you are done and let me know how it went and what you think.