Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2004, 07:58 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Keystone comes through again!

Several of you asked me to post the results of our discussion with Montana about the severe wear on the inner portion of our tires. Montana set up an appt with Alko-Kober and we took the Montana to them on Wednesday when we first pulled out of Pla-Mor (the Montana is back in Pla-Mor at the moment).

They replaced the axles and two drums in less than three hours. I was kinda hoping they'd replace all drums and give us new tires like they've done for some others. But I have absolutely no room to complain about that since we were two months past the 24 month axle warranty and Keystone footed the entire bill. So you can imagine how thrilled we are with Keystone!

I'm not sure I'm as happy with Alko but.... When we stopped at Keystone on another quest I measured the rim to rim distance on both sides. One side is 1 inch longer than the other. I suspect Alko just welded on new axles in the exact location the old ones were. I don't know that but it looks suspicious. I've emailed Keystone to ask if they could check the alignment when we get back there next week.

We also had one bent shock and the Alko guy insinuated we hit something. I didn't care for his attitude on this or overall, but they did the work. I recall looking underneath right after delivery and saw the bent shock but it was working so no big deal. I suppose it was damaged between factory and dealer. Anyhow, I didn't care for the guy's attitude. But Keystone was super and I'm sure they'll take a look at this for me. I may ask them what it would cost me to swap out the alko-kobers in favor of the dexters.

Bottom line is Keystone took good care of me and just confirmed with this and everything they did during the rally just why they're number one.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for the update Steve, makes me all the more happy we chose Montana. It does sound as tho Alko did a shoddy job though.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Steve,

Glad to hear you are a happy camper. I'm also always glad to hear when Keystone comes through. So far I have not had any problem with axles or wheels, but I have not put on the miles that you have. Of course I've come pretty far with hurricane season. I just wish Keystone could come through, all the way through with leaks for me.

I hope I never have to deal with Alko. I hope Keystone comes through and checks your alignment.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
Great post Steve. Thanks for the info.
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:01 PM   #5
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Steve, although we had luck getting Al-Ko to reimburse us for the brake that fell apart with less than 2000 miles after they fixed them - I don't think their work can be trusted. They should have known the axles were off and probably the springs then put them on right - this causes the wear on the tires. Ours was off by an inch also which we had fixed here.

We also have a bent shock but considering how they move the units up at the factory and then the transport to the dealers it is no wonder shocks are bent. Probably alot more out there than we hear about.

I will say bravo to Keystone as they are reimbursing us for the repairs and new tires.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Nice to hear Montana listens and responds to it's curtomers. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:54 AM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Glad to hear the news on Keystone, If Alko want to treat a member that way, we all should take our rigs to their shop and complant. The way to go Steve.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 03:03 PM   #8
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Thanks for the update Steve. Hang in there - I remember once being told that if you keep on asking very politely but firmly for what you need it will eventually happen. Certainly hope so.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #9
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Good work, Steve...thanks for the update..

Nancy and I are headed for the Seattle/Tacoma, WA, area and then out on the Olympic Peninsula for a week (Squim, Port Angeles, Port Townsend) We will visit Oak Harbor and Whidbey Island..then south along the Oregon Coast.

Stay in touch,

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:00 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ & Nan, sounds like you're having a ball!

Bob Pearson of Keystone's service center called and set up a 7am appt for this Friday. They'll check the axles for me along with another thing I asked if they could do (very minor thing). But I had to call today to cancel and arranged to call later to reschedule when I know we'll be back in the area. We're staying in San Diego a few days longer than originally planned.

To those in the San Diego area, I apologize for not contacting you to get together. We're not here on pleasure and nearly our entire day and evenings have been spent with family. Tonight we're getting a bit of a break and will try to catch up on some sleep before starting again in the morning. Next time hopefully we'll be here on pleasure and will be able to meet some of you. I can tell you I sure wish we had our Montana here. Motels get old in a hurry.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:34 AM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for the update Steve. It appears that Keystone will go to bat for their customers and that is reassuring to all of us. We do know though that sometimes even the best of intentions will not solve a problem. We have several members who will attest to that. BUT the good part is "they keep trying". Good product, good service = win, win for all.

Sorry that San Diego is not a pleasure trip. Will pray that all works for the best. Take care!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:11 PM   #12
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
I've put about 15k (Mostly 2 long vacations)on our 5er before I really checked and noticed extreme wear on the inside of all four tires. Replaced all four tires and had the alignment checked and was told it was out "just a little" and the problem may be that the axles are too light (4400#). I've only got 2k on the new tires but I think I can feel a little "feathering" on the front axle tires. If I want to query into this situation more which is the best route: Keystone or Al-ko? Any advise would be helpful. I'd prefer to rely on the experience of others in getting this handled.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:14 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, everyone. I will have to cancel the Keystone appt for this Friday as we'll now be in San Diego until next Wednesday. Tomorrow I'll call Keystone and see if I can reschedule for the following Friday. Will report back how it went although we'll leave Keystone for the Kansas City area, arriving around 11/1, maybe sooner. May be a bit spotty on internet access while on the road.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:49 AM   #14
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Steve, glad things are working out for you. Just to let you knowI talked to our dealer in Idaho and they replaced and aligned our axles. Then we kept eyes on tires from the bad axle and they needed replaced and they are replacing them. Should be here in the next few days. Also in the same breathe, we have one of the bad steroes and they also will be replacing it at the sametime as the tires. I can not say enough about Bodily's RV in Meridian, Idaho or Keystone(Montana) in geting things worked on. It is a great feeling to know they will do things.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:19 AM   #15
Montana_2080

M.O.C. #2080
Hi All, I have a 2004 Big Sky 3575RL that I got last October. We left Maine last October with our new 5ver for the winter. Went to California, then Florida, and then back home to Maine, with various side trips inbetween. We put about 8000 miles on Monty. I was inspecting it in September to get ready for our 2nd winter trip when I noticed severe tire wear on the inside edge of all 4 tires. Took it to the dealer and they checked it out and reported their findings to Keystone. Keystone sent 2 new axcles and 4 new tires to the dealer and the dealer changed them out. Keystone came through and stood behind their product with flying colors. We leave on our trip October 25th for 7 months. I will let you all know if the new axcles fixed the problem when we return to Maine in May. I am really pleased with the way Keystone handled the problem and expedited getting it done quickly.
Montana_2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:43 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by babymakes3

I've put about 15k (Mostly 2 long vacations)on our 5er before I really checked and noticed extreme wear on the inside of all four tires. Replaced all four tires and had the alignment checked and was told it was out "just a little" and the problem may be that the axles are too light (4400#). I've only got 2k on the new tires but I think I can feel a little "feathering" on the front axle tires. If I want to query into this situation more which is the best route: Keystone or Al-ko? Any advise would be helpful. I'd prefer to rely on the experience of others in getting this handled.
Hi, Don and Janey,

I'm not sure which is the preferred method but I think I'd call Keystone. They either will handle it or will give you someone and/or a number to call at Alko. From our experiences, call Keystone rather than emailing them. I don't have the number at hand but it's on the Customer Service or Contact page at their website.
http://www.keystone-montana.com
Old 10-23-2004, 06:36 PM   #17
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Steve and all, took the 5er in last Wed. to have 2 tires replaced on the new axle that they put on several weeks ago. They also put in the new stereo in the unit as well. Could not be more pleased with Bodilys in Meridian, Id. and with Keystone for the way they handled our problems. They have been just great to us since we bought our unit last Oct.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote