Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #21
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I hope you see some better weather Scott before you get there. It is 12 degrees here right now with a windshield of -2. Looks like most of TN will be in the 20's tonight. You may luck out though because we are suppose to be in the 40's by Saturday......I may break the short pants out!

Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It's 23 degrees here now. It was 40 yesterday it got down to 20 last night with 30 MPH winds and I have 2 bottles of water on the counter of my camper that are not frozen. There is no ice in them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #23
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Ok... I know I'm "a year late" in this discussion, but we will be headed out here shortly to Indiana, and my first outing in cold weather in my 5'er. Have the electric heaters for the basement (water lines going to the bathroom (2007 Montana Mountaineer 344)) and inside, and now own a heated water supply hose, but here's where I need some guidance...

Do I leave a faucet cracked all night so the campground faucet doesn't freeze?? Do I leave a faucet cracked at as well so the Camco inline water filter doesn't turn solid??

Thanks!!
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #24
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Make sure your fresh water tank is full, disconnect the water hose and use your pump. That is the best way to eliminate the worry. Then, just fill your tank each day, or as often as needed. Also, only connect your drain hose when draining, otherwise if a valve is leaking, you could freeze up the drain hose.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #25
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
AHHH yes the dreaded "POOPSICLE" made that mistake with the sewer hose first year fulltiming in Cold weather and even if you do not have a leaking valve make sure it is empty of black or grey water after you dump or just take it off altogether or you will be out there with a hair dryer trying to thaw it out
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

Make sure your fresh water tank is full, disconnect the water hose and use your pump. That is the best way to eliminate the worry. Then, just fill your tank each day, or as often as needed. Also, only connect your drain hose when draining, otherwise if a valve is leaking, you could freeze up the drain hose.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:46 AM   #26
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Thanks gentlemen!!!!
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:11 AM   #27
knighton91
Established Member

M.O.C. #10855
I have never had the material loose from my unit. I have always been curious if you could blow insulation into the open area like you do an attic. Has anyone done this?
knighton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #28
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm not nixing your thoughs entirely, but once you drop the pan down, you'll see between the tanks themselves, hydraulic hoses, and wiring every which way it would be a challenge to sucessfully blow insulation well enough to make a difference. Just guessing here ... If you did fill it up with insulation, the single 1.5" heat duct would not be able to get heated air to the tank and valve area.

Take the belly pan down right behind the dropped part of your frame and draw it back enough to stick your headabove it ... you can see near clear back to the freshwater tank ... perhaps you could go at it that way. I did cram a few bats of insulation in the area as best I could.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:06 AM   #29
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Before leaving our last campsite we do our tank flushing and then add a couple of gallons of water in the black tank and add chemicals. It stays there until our next trip. Since we are not heading south this winter I may add some antifreeze to the black tank and put a heater in the trailer. It is supposed to get down to 23 to 28 degrees this week. The trailer is under cover with the front exposed so the back is pretty protected. Two years ago it got down to 15 degrees before I put heater in and did not have any problems. First time in 5 years we haven't went south.. Don't think I am going to like it.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #30
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We realize that this is a cold weather subject, but we can't help but think that leaving the belly cover off would expose all of the underneath vitals to all sorts of road hazards as you travel. Solid objects, water, mud, road salt all could wreak havoc down there.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #31
awright

M.O.C. #18072
I see that Dieselguy put in some bats of insulation in the underbelly, I have a 2000. I was thinking of doing the samething. did it do any good or could you tell any difference. has anyone else done this?
awright is offline   Reply With Quote