Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #21
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Sorry about not responding sooner. I contacted Lippert and they stated that they recommend the Dexron 3 or Mercron 5 in their systems. They also stated that I should contact Keystone and see what they use in their systems. I contacted Keystone and they asked if I had contacted my dealer for their recommendations. Keystone went on to say that all of their systems come from lippert prefilled with ATF and had no idea why the system had the clear fluid installed. I stopped by my dealer prior to leaving on this trip and it has been agreed that when I being the rig back in for the puny list items he will drain flush and refill the system with ATF as suggests by lippert. The dealer wants to follow kippered recommendations

hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #22
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
All I can say Gents is, when I worked at Lippert 6 years ago, Keystone was putting the clear fluid in the systems. It was determined at that time the fluid was nearly identical to ATF....it just did not have the red dye in it.

dieselguy, all your statements are correct. I believe that flushing a system to go to the ATF is a waste of time, some good fluid and somebody's money! The only exception to that being, obviously, the wrong fluid was put in at the factory or sometime since.

Hybridhauler, is it absolutely necessary that you add fluid to the system? With the 6 point legs and slide rooms closed or retracted, where is the fluid level at? If it is anywhere within an inch from the fill cap because the front landing legs are down holding the unit up, I'd leave it alone. Because if, you add fluid with anything open or extended, you could over-flow the tank when you retract the legs and close the rooms.

Another suggestion I have given many retail people over the years is simple in order to determine whether or not you might have a leak somewhere in the system that you most likely will not see. At some point in time when the fluid level is at a point where you want it and, the unit is packed for travel, landing legs up and all slide rooms in, go to the white reservoir on the pump and use a black permanent marker to mark the fluid level at that point. Later, when you get to your destination and have the rooms out and the 6 point level-up engaged which, includes the front landing legs, use that marker to mark fluid level at that point. Now, whenever you check the fluid level, if it is lower than any of the lines, that might give you a clue you could have a leak somewhere in the system.

Again, good luck and keep us informed.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #23
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy
...We are needlessly dissecting this down to the last atom...
Amen
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
MIMF
Te fluid level in the tank was roughly 1/3 full with the slides in and the jacks retracted. One of the o rings on the hydraulic manifold was cut and allowing oil to pass. The o rings were replaced and the tank topped off with Mercron 5.
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #25
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
If there are no leaks and I was in your shoes, I'd leave it as it is. The level-up and any of the slide rooms that are operated by hydraulics, should operate just fine!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote