Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Ford reverse sensor...replace with camera?

The 08 Ford has had its sensors working less and less. Need fixed or replaced. Anyone faced this yet? I'm thinking of replacing with a backup camera....or should I fix the sensors and add the camera? Thanks, D Oh...and if adding camera, your recommendation please.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our Dodge has both and frankly I use them both. Have to shut off the sensors when towing of course, but with our long truck sometimes the camera isn't good enough when parking in tight places.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
My 2011 F350 has both and its a good thing!
jmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think I would prefer the sensors over the camera. The sensors speed up as one gets close to an object across the back of the whole bumper, then turns to a solid alarm within 12" - 12" is a lot of space so DW will get out and guide me closer to things. But it would be nice to be able to see what's back there anyway, because sometimes a puddle will cause the sensors to go nuts.

However, the problem I have with my camera is that it doesn't show enough back there and what is there is a fisheye view anyway. I'm not good with being able to tell how close I am to an object by looking at the fisheye video anyway. Recently the camera stopped working and now I rely only on the sensors. The camera gives me an okay view of things and the sensors have seemed to be more reliable.

Just my experiences. Better backup drivers than me can probably provide better results and considerations.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Back-up camera is my vote. I installed my camera behind the bumper, and the screen in the middle of the front hump, I removed the ash tray and it fits nicely there. It adds comfort when in a parking lot when backing up, I have seen children, shopping carts and other things that I could have backed over. The system is great, as the monitor has an A-B switch, when we hook up to the Monte, the monitor shows the picture from the rear camera for it. When passing, if we see the vehicle in the camera, we know it is safe to pull back into the right lane. I had the sensors in a Expedition, I really didn't trust them, but that's just me. Mine is from Tim@rvcams, I think many of us have bought from him. I had one camera over a year old that went 'Tango Uniform', Time sent me a new one. He is an RV'er and runs an honest company.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is the truck camera install on my '08 Ford. I bought a 'seconds' camera with no sound, it was my second truck camera install. http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...view%20camera/
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I like my backup sensors. Beeps to solid tone at 8-10". Great for backing into parking places and not hitting anything.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote