Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
bdarr4014
Established Member

M.O.C. #6483
Rear sway bar on tv

My current tv does not have a rear sway bar. Has anyone added a sway bar and did it make any improvement in ride and towing?

bdarr4014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
A sway bar does not have any weight bearing capacity. It actually is attached to both sides of the rear axle and both sides of the frame. What occurs is when you are in a turn or sway cond., the bar is forced to twist because one side of the vehicle goes down and the other goes up. The bar is a strong spring and resists the twist. It will improve cornering and sway. Not much effect on ride. Larry PS If you purchase one for towing a 5er, and I recommend it, get the strongest available.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Like Hook described, the sway bar does try to minimize sway especially when the load is right over the rear axle like with a camper or other tall heavy load and there are lateral stresses like wind and turns. Even though a fiver puts a load over the rear axle, the rest of the body of the trailer and its four wheels on the ground behind the truck helps reduce the sway. But I do think the sway bar would help in some conditions like severe lateral winds, and since I use my truck for many other things like carrying loads (tall furniture, etc.) it would definitely help.

Now that Larry brings it up, how does one know they are getting the best sway bar? Starting with buying the one from the manufacturer, are there weaker or stronger ones? I'd vote for the stronger one but wouldn't know how to know this not considering the price (the highest price may not be the strongest bar, I think).

Interesting post that gets the brain juices going. I don't think they add that much weight, but the benefit could be great especially on turns or windy weather conditions which we all drive.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote