Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
EZ Flex Replacement Shackles

I have been reading about the 'egg shaped' holes wearing in the shackles. I checked mine (2005 2955 RL) and all seemed good. It appeared that the problems were with the larger rigs. At the NE Rally in Gettysburg, my interest in this problem was renewed and I purchased the EZ Flex replacement parts and had them installed yesterday. WOW!! What a surprise I got when the old parts were removed. The driver's side was not too bad. The plastic bushings on the leaf springs were intact but the plastic bushing in the center where they flex was completely shot. The bolt was beginning to wear into the metal. The passenger side was worse. The center bolt had worn through the plastic bushing and already had worn into the metal. The bolt was very sloppy in the hole. I'm glad that I didn't wait too long to have this repair completed. I got to thinking what a cheap setup this is - plastic bushings and no grease fittings. How long was this design engineered to last?

Please, everyone, if you have this setup, GET THEM CHECKED AND FIXED!!!

Sorry that I don't have the pictures from the fix. I failed Picture Posting 101!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ronstan is behind me here at the FCRV rally in PA. He pulled a blown out shackle out his front compartment. It had failed on the way down here and he was able to get it replaced at a dealer on the way. He will replace the rest when he gets home..It is , I think a 04 3295. The top of the shackle was blown out.We had ours replaced last November on our 06 3400 at @12K miles. If you do a lot of miles this is a weak point and needs to be watched as the above example indicates you may not be able to see the problem till it is to late.. Ours had started to show fair wear at the 12K mile point although they looked good from the outside. IMO I would replace them at @12 or 15K miles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sure glad you got them checked thoroughly ..... and fixed. Happy RVing......
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Have you had a chance to tow with the EX Flex system on your Monty yet? Let us know if you feel an improvement in the ride that is worth the extra money. I've been thinking about installing those myself.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #5
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I'll be on my way to Ocean City, Maryland on Thursday, July 10th. I'll let you know how I made out when I return.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Do the Mor-Ryde suspensions fail the same as the others? Does anyone have experience with how they wear? My unit is still new with only about 600 miles on it but I want to keep an eye on the suspension.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Pete,
Stiles and I installed the EZ Flex on our trailer at the fall national rally and Nila and I feel it was well worth the little extra it cost.

Buddy,
Even though you have the Morryde suspension the shackles are the same and could possibly develop the same problems. Don't blame Morrryde for this as they don't supply the shackles.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
A few years ago I had a shackle fail on a previous fiver ( not a Montana) and the trailer body dropped down onto the wheels stopping them from rotating. Needless the handling characteristics change quickly! We were able to pull safely off the road but it could have been a lot worse. We were unable to get ERS to come and get us so I had to jack the frame up and put blocks on the top of the axle to allow the wheels to turn and so was able to get off the highway. I had a shop replace all the shackles the next day. To check them properly it is necessary to jack up the rig and release the load on the suspension.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:36 AM   #9
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
John,
Glad you caught them before it got serious. I did same and she rides very nicely! Added a little grease after 2k miles. We're in the UP of MI. Still traveling since the NE Rally!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Ehmcfarl, On the Mor-Ryde suspension, I have the 2955RL 2007 (mfg Aug 2006) with the standard Mor-Ryde suspension. We did a trip from Oregon to Texas and back this past winter, about 6000 miles. In May I took Montana in (while still under warranty), and had the breaks checked, bearings repacked, and asked the dealer to check the shackles. All were fine. The dealer told me that the shackles on the Mor-Ryde are a bit thicker. But I believe it a good policy if you take the unit in for bearing repack, thats a good time to also have the shackles checked.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:15 AM   #11
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Thanks Bob, for the info.

Buddy
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #12
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Okay I called my Montana dealer Walnut ridge in New castle in. They hadn't heard of a replacemnt kit. Does someone have the part number of the kit. Then I can call them and tell them what they need.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Get the number off the equalizer between the tires (stamped on) and call Dexter. Suspecr it is kit 653, I believe (see http://www.dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_equalizers). That's if you want the whole enchilada. Beefy shackles w/wet bolts are available by themselves, too, w/o the E-Z Flex Equalizer. Good luck.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote