Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 AM   #21
kimmy99016
Established Member

M.O.C. #8228
Sorry. To clarify... the truck fence thingee would only be after the 5th wheels is unattached, to take them with us when you travel without the 5th wheel. Don't want to puppies getting squished by the 5th wheel hitch

kimmy99016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
kimmy99016 ,

go to JB Wholesalers, http://www.jbpet.com/

type exercise pens in the search.

This is what a lot of us use for portable pens, used widely by show people.

There are other companies that also sell, I just happen to know this one. Maybe it would help you not have to reinvent the wheel???

Good luck

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #23
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Good thread with good info. We have never tried the fence thing either and have learned a lot from this thread. Good picture Don & Georgia you've definately got us thinking for our seasonal spot this year.

Carol: No need to be sorry for anything you've said. ALL responsible pet owners have an axe to grind with those irresponsible pet owners, and there are many!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #24
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Good thread with good info. We have never tried the fence thing either and have learned a lot from this thread. Good picture Don & Georgia you've definately got us thinking for our seasonal spot this year.

OK Here is the best deal that I could find on the net, the price is great too. I have 24 x 24 by eight pannels and 3/8" x 3 foot rebar from Home Depot, I hope it works out for you

http://www.petproductdepot.net/Gold-...FQUWiQod03fMpQ

Model 540-24
8 Panels With Door
Size: 24W x 24H
Mesh: 1 1/2 x 6"
Material: 9 & 11 Gauge Wire
Weight: 21 lbs. (product) / 23 lbs. (in carton)
On Sale for $34.62 Order Now
Old 02-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #25
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don,

Ya got me real curious, why do you use the rebar?????
Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #26
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

[font=Comic Sans MS]Don,

]Ya got me real curious, why do you use the rebar?????
The Re-bar is used as a fence post, in reality the fence needs to be secured to somthing when it is extended in long lengths otherwise it will fall over, or the pets can push it over, if you look at the picture of my first post on this topic you will see the re-bar spaced so far apart, I also use it to assist in making gates stronger, but the newer fence has gates built in. it's a little more work setting up camp, but I figure our pet is well worth the effort, the plus side is, my pet can roam the yard and I have no worry about him wandering where he's not supose to be.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #27
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don,

Got it.

I have used 5 sets of xpens (each set is 24 inch by 24 inch by 8 sections long) all strung out together. I got these long bars that came with them, use them pretty much the same as you are saying. I have also used some long "nails" to add some substance to the set up. I do this at home. (by the way, the long bars is a bad description, they are more like rods, not near as heavy as your rebar, smooth, and made to connect the ends of xpens together, not sure they even sell them with these bars anymore, whewie, it has been years since I purchased any, so, would not surprise me to see they are sold differently now.)

On the road, in Tana, we use 4 piece sets and 8 piece sets, but I never put more than 2 together at a time, and we set out somewhere in our campsite. I do not find I need the bars or rods with that small a set up.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #28
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Don,

Got it.

I have used 5 sets of xpens (each set is 24 inch by 24 inch by 8 sections long) all strung out together. I got these long bars that came with them, use them pretty much the same as you are saying. I have also used some long "nails" to add some substance to the set up. I do this at home. (by the way, the long bars is a bad description, they are more like rods, not near as heavy as your rebar, smooth, and made to connect the ends of xpens together, not sure they even sell them with these bars anymore, whewie, it has been years since I purchased any, so, would not surprise me to see they are sold differently now.)

On the road, in Tana, we use 4 piece sets and 8 piece sets, but I never put more than 2 together at a time, and we set out somewhere in our campsite. I do not find I need the bars or rods with that small a set up.

Ya I know the bars you are talking about I've been looking for them for almost 3 years with no luck. they were available at Home Depot, they looked like a 3 foot nail with no point on them.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #29
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I notice parks now that have a pet only camping area and you have to keep your pet in the pet only area and not in the rest of the park. The parks also charge for the pets. The owner of one park told me it had to do with insurance issues. He also said that in his many years as a park owner the number of pets per campsite has increased.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 AM   #30
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by old turbo

I notice parks now that have a pet only camping area and you have to keep your pet in the pet only area and not in the rest of the park. The parks also charge for the pets. The owner of one park told me it had to do with insurance issues. He also said that in his many years as a park owner the number of pets per campsite has increased.
Yes I have seen that to, Oasis RV Park in Los Vegas has a area that no pets are alowed in there area, not even to walk them through, does this mean the campers that camp there stay out of the area we camp in? Ha Ha. it's getting out of control and I'm off the subject good-by.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #31
kimmy99016
Established Member

M.O.C. #8228
Thanks so much for the websites, these are exactly what I am looking for!!
kimmy99016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #32
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Just a note on the wireless fence. First, they do not interfere at all with wireless. We have an Invisible Fence that we used for Magnum and no problem. Second, with a large dog, the electricity did a better job of keeping Magnum from lunging than a leash ever did. As a matter of fact, twice Terrie came home with black eyes and all scraped up because Magnum saw a squirrel and took Terrie airborne. And, as a matter of fact, all of the campgrounds that I explained Magnum's training collar to understood why it was a better choice. In his eleven years, not once did Magnum charge another dog, or a human. He was the world's largest lap dog. (Thought he was a chihuahua). Anyone that has spent time training a dog knows its not the dog that gets trained - its the owner. There are lots of opinions on this, I know. But, as long as my dog is under control and not bothering anyone (including incessant barking), I felt I was a responsible pet owner. Good luck with finding a solution that works for you.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #33
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I have the following that I've used at the house when we need to keep them contained due to people working on the house, individuals visiting who are afraid of dogs, and children who are not properly "trained" in interacting with animals. I plan to put it to use with the 5th wheel. While it is more bulky than metal it is lighter and I can tote it around pretty easily. You can also purchase extension panels for it if needed/desired. To view the Pet Yard Containment Pen go to: http://www.petsmart.com/entry.jsp?so...&entry=2754775

My biggest challenge will be convincing the "kids" that my being on the outside of the fencing is appropriate when we are outside...I am sure that I will be "trained" by them and will wind up with my chair inside the fence with them. LOL

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #34
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Love them dogs! I've got two.

We have not used any pens or fences for our dogs. They stay on leashes. We also use a short rope for tying in our campground space. ONLY our space.

But husband just invented something new. When the awing is down he ties a cable from one awing post to the other. then he puts the two leashes on this cable. The dogs are able to run back and forth the length of our trailer and only able to be in our campsite. If no awing can be used he ties under the frame from wheel to wheel.

Keep in mind we are only weekend warriors at this point in our lives.

If we were to stay at any place longer then a few days, I would be interested in setting up pens as suggested above.

As for the wireless fencing, well this post got me thinking....
I too get frighten when I see a dog out and I can not see signs of it being tied.....the bigger the dog, the more frighten I am.
I have changed my direction before because I have seen a dog and could not tell if it was running free or not....then when I have done this, I am left with the feeling of anger because of someone else's actions.
So this post has made me realize I too need to make it noticeable that my dogs are leashed....and I too hate those extended leashes.

Since we are on the topic of tying or penning up dogs.

I hope the owners are not allowing their dogs to be outside alone in a pen. I have heard of horror stories of the (small) pet being dragged off by a wild animal, even birds.

Best of luck...

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #35
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Gosh what a great topic. I have two large golden retrievers. We use leashes, the long ones that are retractable. I retract when necessary, people, dogs, places they should not be, etc. I let them out when we are in a free and clean area. Here at Bentsen Palm Village (RGV) we have a terrific off leash park. We also use a short rope attached to the trailer, but they are NEVER out without me.
I am grateful that we have such great dogs and find that most folks are very nice about seeing them, loving on them and so forth. Need I add that we always leash, and SCOOP???? We always inform the campground when we make reservations. I'd like to think we do a little good for the reputation of camping pet owners. Believe me, we need that!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #36
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I have noticed more RV parks that have a pet free run area. I am grateful for this area.

We too walk with are dogs on their leashes and carry the needed supplies for stool clean up.

Many of us ( if not all) on this board are responsible pet owners, but it is just those few out there who damer it for the rest of us.

This is a reason why many campgrounds will now bannned certain breeds of dogs.

What a shame!

But if we all continue to do our part maybe times will change back for the better.....we are already on our way with campgrounds willing to set up these dog runs
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #37
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
I guess we're lucky. Our daughter got a pet yard at a yard sale (about $10 for the 8 panel model, plus 2 extensions) and when she didn't need it anymore I inherited it for Ringo. It works great! I put it up just aft of the door so I can place him in the pen on my way out. I didn't know about the "spikes" though. I just use tent stakes when necessary--they're lighter and smaller.

He's funny though. He prefers a mat to lie upon, not the grass. Such a fop!
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote