Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wind

Many speak of the horrible winds on the island, generally the people inland, Mission, Harlingen and the like. People who wouldn’t be interested in the Island life to begin with.
My take on the wind here, is a little different.
I like the way the Mosquito’s can’t fight it, and leave me alone. Speaking of the little pest, that weighs from 2.5 milligrams to 10 milligrams, Texas holds the record with 85 species, they really feed on nectars, and only use our blood for the female, so her eggs can incubate…but we were discussing our wind here.
I love the way it blows from the cool ocean on us, when the temperatures soar, the way the Palm trees move, and the beautiful white clouds sail past, with the blue sky in the background.
I like the free ride I get on my bicycling adventures….. one way. And the good workout I get, on the way back.
It gives us a good opening line when greeting strangers; “How about that wind”.
The wind dries my truck after it’s bath.
We celebrate it here on the Island, with a Kite fest in it’s honor, and my wind toys look good spinning in it.
We all love to see the colorful sails of the wind surfers, a splash of contrast, just off the beach.
The birds love their free rides, gliding effortless in formation.
It blows in new friends, from many locations.
We can’t do anything to stop it, and wouldn’t if we could.
I love our wind here, miss it when I’m gone.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ozz,

Not at the Island (my dream vacation, but not necessarily of the hubby, so, we settle for Mission)

However, we feel much the same about the wind, cools us off and keeps the bugs off.

The fact that it can bring a ton of dust with it is a minor detail!

We have become accustomed to the sound of flappy slide toppers.

Yepper, we agree, we have few issues with the wind.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Hey, Ozz
Makes us wanna be there! And we may be.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Ozz - you talking about down south -- or the south wind that is 'pummeling' us here in Kansas yesterday and today?? In our case it is bringing in warmer weather (yea!!!!).

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Carol, we are lucky in that there is only sand here, no dust to speak of.
Sandy, come on down..
Skypilot,
I bet that Kansas wind blew right by our trailer, up from Mexico, a mile or so South of here. Enjoy the warmth.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Many speak of the horrible winds on the island, generally the people inland, Mission, Harlingen and the like. People who wouldn’t be interested in the Island life to begin with.
My take on the wind here, is a little different.
I like the way the Mosquito’s can’t fight it, and leave me alone. Speaking of the little pest, that weighs from 2.5 milligrams to 10 milligrams, Texas holds the record with 85 species, they really feed on nectars, and only use our blood for the female, so her eggs can incubate…but we were discussing our wind here.
I love the way it blows from the cool ocean on us, when the temperatures soar, the way the Palm trees move, and the beautiful white clouds sail past, with the blue sky in the background.
I like the free ride I get on my bicycling adventures….. one way. And the good workout I get, on the way back.
It gives us a good opening line when greeting strangers; “How about that wind”.
The wind dries my truck after it’s bath.
We celebrate it here on the Island, with a Kite fest in it’s honor, and my wind toys look good spinning in it.
We all love to see the colorful sails of the wind surfers, a splash of contrast, just off the beach.
The birds love their free rides, gliding effortless in formation.
It blows in new friends, from many locations.
We can’t do anything to stop it, and wouldn’t if we could.
I love our wind here, miss it when I’m gone.
Jim, ol' buddy, I have to add a caveat here, though. You, and I, are from the land of the perpetual wind. Wind is the normal for us. The lack of wind, like here in Benson, is something I find downright eerie. Almost disturbingly quiet. However, I do confess that I am learning to enjoy it. I'm glad you like the wind. Please keep it there!

And, believe me, a couple of years ago when we were in Mission for two months we had WIND. Wind that would make even Kansas City proud! Constant wind. Gusting wind. I had five deflappers on each side of the awning. I had it strapped down hard. I had a screen on the long side, also anchored. And still there were times I thought we'd lose it. But, I hear we caught an unusually warm and windy winter. Of course. Just our luck. Just like we caught an unusually cool one this time!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
As usual Ozz I like reading your post. You describe everything as if we were there.
We have wind here too. Sometime we have 80 mile gust.

We have a mosquito magnate that traps the females. In about 3 weeks the bugs are all gone. Taking it on the road with us. Will use it when we stay someplace for a month or two. I don't like those little bugs either!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dusty, that's a cute picture of your buddies, how many treats were promised for the pose?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Jim-
My childhood home was some 100 miles north of where you are. I am well acquainted with the way the wind blows there. CW singer Don Williams grew up in Corpus Christi and I think he still makes his home in Portland, on the north side of Corpus Christi Bay. One of his hits "Good Ole Boys Like Me" in the chorus he sings about the winds of South Texas.

"Nothing makes a sound in the night like the wind does
But you ain't afraid if you're washed in the blood like I was
The smell of cape jasmine thru the window screen
John R. and the Wolfman kept me company
By the light of the radio by my bed
With Thomas Wolfe whispering in my head"

Before the days of A/C... where we lived there were two large Sycamore trees. In the summer time a couple hours after dark I could hear the leaves in these trees rustling, I knew the night would be cool enough to sleep. His song reminds me of those nights, especially the sounds of Wolfman Jack on the radio from "XRG in Del Rio, Texas", a million watt transmitter that was actually across the Rio Grande in Mexico.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Ozz,

If you run short of wind, Let me know, we'll send you some. We are in the San Francisco Bay area this week. Had Wind gusts up to 112 MPH and over 10" of rain in some areas. We are going to leave tomorrow and were going to take the Richmond Bridge on Hwy 580 but 5 Semi's were blown over on their sides on that bridge . They have not figured out how they are going to upright the 4 on the lower deck. Things should be alittle better for tomorrow, I guess we'll pull the Monty over the Golden Gate Bridge & continue south on Hwy 101. If there is a little too much wind we'll send some your way .

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Charlie, that's interesting. I remember hearing Wolf man Jack, a true legend. Brings back memories.
John, we have been following that weather out there, I had no idea it blew so hard on the coast. That sounds more like the weather Steve and I have in the Midwest with Tornado's. You be careful, sneak out when the wind dies down.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
The high CA wind caught my awning; it ripped and tore it from the roller and made a huge mess. Oh well, I wasn't really fond of that one anyway.
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:47 AM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Steve,
If you miss the wind take a trip out to Mt. Charlie, it's usually windy there.
Jim,
I imagine the wind may take a little getting used to but it sounds like a nice place where you are.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Steve,
If you miss the wind take a trip out to Mt. Charlie, it's usually windy there.
Yes, we noticed that! I think I sent you a picture of the sunset from there, right?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Ozz,
glad you liked the picture! They all sit like that a lot. Dogs started and now the cat does it. He copies almost everything they do. We been calling him the "Dat" because he acts so much like a dog.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote