Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
jdecastro

M.O.C. #2804
Decal removal

Does anyone know a reasonably easy method of removing decals beside heat and 1/4" square at a time?

jdecastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I recently removed the decals from the front cap. I used a heat gun and a piece of acrylic plastic that I sharpened to be like a paint scraper. I heated the graphic and scraped it off a little at a time. after removing the vinyl I heated the glue and scraped as much of it off as I could then I used Goo Gone that I put into a spray bottle, sprayed it on the remaining glue, let sit for a little while, then wiped off with a cloth. It took me about 6 hours to get it clean. After that I called a sign company to remove the rest of the decals that needed to be removed. The sign company then installed the new graphics. Total charge to me for this was $120.00, well worth it. I wish I had not even started removing the front graphic, I would have let the sign company do the entire job.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Doug,

Are you going to post pics of the new decals? I guess we can just use our imagination and see that they look exactly like the ones you took off! That price you got from the sign company is not bad at all.

Later,

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I was going to post pictures but it started raining and I may melt if I go out there to take a picture . When the sun comes back out I will take a picture and post it. The Montana looks new again and are we happy.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Good info on the removal. Just received new decals for the front of our rig at no cost to us (thank you Keystone) and had planned to do the removal of the old ones myself. I think I will now check with some of the local sign companies for a price on the removal and installation.

Jack
Old 12-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Jack, Curious as to how you got your new deacls from Keystone. Mine are curling badly and I contacted them, but they said to see a dealer??? Suggestions?
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Chris,
I was told to contact the dealer as well. When I talked to the dealer they indicated decals would not be covered by the warranty but they would check and call me. The next day the dealer called and said I would have to pay for the decals. Mine is a 03 purchased in 04.
I sent a email to Keystone customer service stating I did not feel I should have to pay. They ask me to take pictures so they could see the problem. I did and it looks like they will replace the decals.
Thanks Keystone
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Weldon - We, too, have a 2955RL, but an '05. Curling pretty good on the front, only. Sent Keystone an email and got that reply. Maybe I should call the customer service number and talk w/a real person???
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Chris,
A phone call may be in order. I did receive a very quick response each time I sent a e-mail.
My decals appeared to be curling due to heat as opposed to adhesive failure.

Good luck,
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Chris,
I am sorry I haven't replied to you sooner but I haven't been to this site in a couple of days. I sent an e-mail and pictures to Mike McGraw at Keystone and they then agreed to replace our graphics at no cost. His e-mail address is EDITED: By RVWheels; Keystone has asked us NOT to list individual EEs email addresses. If you want or need the address please email the poster or PM them for the address. Thank you. Once they agreed to the replacement I did have to go through my dealer to have them order them, but it was pretty painless and the only downside was that Keystone would only agree to replace the graphics at no charge but I would have to cover the labor for removal and install. Hope this helps.
Jack
jackel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote