Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
If you think you have holding tank leak!!!

To all,
If you think you may have a holding tank leak, please check it out as soon as possilbe.
With the artic package sheet and the black plastic belly cover, you could have a tank leak and not really know it.
I had posted before about the sh_tty expereince and surprise we had with a smell that led to a belly full of black tank liquid.
Our 3400 RL we bought in late Feb 05, and I am working on getting the tank replaced and artic package replaced under warrenty.
The tank has a diffient crack at the area where the piping to the drain valve come out.
Questions have come up from Keystone to the dealer who I took it to as to "WHY DIDN'T I NOTICE IT SOONER" "IT COULD OF BEEN HIT TO CAUSE THE DAMAGE"
Well the artic package does make the belly area air/water tight, both from getting into and OUT-OF the belly.
So, if you think you have a leak, and it is only a fews drops, CHECK IT OUT IN THE FIRST YEAR OF WARRENTY!!!!

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Sven,
Maybe you should take it directly to Keystone in Indiana. Would that be doable? I'm thinking, they might be better to deal with directly rather than going through the dealer. Just a thought. Sorry you are having these problems. Keep us posted.

Al
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I had the same problem, called Keystone and was told that they were very sorry but I was out of warranty. I repaired it myself by using a epoxy that was waterproof. I did have to ruff up the surface with a roto tool and so far I am not having any problems. Keep us posted as to what your fix will be. This was not a fun thing to fix I might add.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We had a similar leak in our grey tank area. Turned out to be the connection from the tank to the pipe. Like Doug we applied a patch to the area and it has been fine since then. Unless you know for sure that your tank is broken there is no need to replace it. The grey tank smell was not to bad but I can imagine that the black tank would be a lot worse. Before doing any work on it I'd empty and flush and flush and flush!... :-) Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:19 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Sven & Pat: Is this the same leak you had at the NE Rally? If so, it turned out worse that you thought it seems. Good luck. Maybe see you in Aug. When did you become FULLTIMERS. We thought you had a stick house in NH.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:40 AM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Bill & Ann,
Yes it was, but what little water we saw, was just the tip of the iceburg, that was above the artic package.
We went full time July 1, Brad and Sheri and Brandon, who we had overf to the rally have moved into the house.
Al and Nita,
We are planning on having it repaired under warrenty at the factory in mid October on our way to MN, I just had to have the dealer look at it to say yes there is a problem.
If anyone wants I can e-mail the pictures and the letter to Montana.
Just drop me a PM by clicking on the e-mail icon.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #7
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We are so glad you will be able to have it fixed under warranty. Thanks for sharing this information with all of us. Hope this never happens to us, or any of our Montana friends. Hope you are enjoying your full-time experience in spite of the problems. Good luck and keep us all posted.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Just curious as to how you found out that you had a leak since the artic package was hiding it? I want to make sure that I am on the look out for any signs that would indicate that we might have a problem.

Thanks for posting about your problem.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Colleen,
A few months ago, after I had dumped and lowered the fron end of the trailer and was pulliing out of a spot, I dropped some water out from the area where the spring shackles, thought it could of been rain water.
But finally for quite some time we thought we where smelling propane,check and all ok, then thought it was the Webber grill carried in the basement,checkewd that and it was clean, then after 6 days out on day 4 we started looking for a dead mouse, and day 6 we hunted real hard for a dead mouse.
I went as far a putting expandable foam into the plumbing and electrical holes, and we found the most foul order coming from the grate under the stairs, where the wires run and the heat pipe for the belly are.
Well that is what lead me to open the belly covers and the reat is a shi_ _ y memory.
Now thinking back last fall coming back from the Great Lakes rally, whne we flushed the toliet, we got a air burp when the water was going down, well, what had been happening is that the liquid was running out leaving us a solid mess in the tank.
Right now I have a 3/4" hole drilled in th eblack belly panel so I can see if I get a leak, early on, wiht the repair I put on.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Thanks for the tip on what to look or smell for. I hope that your fix works and you don't have anymore trouble.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote