Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A neat dirty laundry solution for our 3750-Update

One thing we have been looking for since we bought the rig is a neat way to handle our dirty laundry needs. We decided to look into storage type trunks and then suddenly stumbled upon what we think is the best of all worlds. It is actually marketed as a coffee table, but is more like a storage trunk. We measured the dimensions and believe and are hoping that it will work at the foot of the bed. The dimensions seem to indicate that it will hold two normal square laundry baskets inside the trunk, one for whites and one for colors. The actual name is a Steve Silver Pacific Trunk Coffee Table, which looks like:

It will be transported on top of the bed, so hopefully all our figuring will work out the way we intend.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
That's a cool idea Bingo.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
And when you are set up and want to sleep in the bed, where are you gonna put it?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Looks like a good idea, let us know how you like it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Art,
When we are set up, it will be at the foot of the bed as mentioned in the OP. On the 3750 model, there is a lot of room between the foot of bed and the mirrored cabinet that is in a slide. This will put the "laundry chute" about six feet away from the washer/dryer stack. It may be tight, but I think it will work. If not, we will probably replace the nesting footstool in the living room with it, but we are hopeful it will work as intended in the bedroom.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Bingo,
I would not put it on the bed when traveling. The rear of RV bounces and everything moves around. You do not want it on the bed and bouncing out your window. We have an end table in bedroom and it just fits under the bed. Could you remove the top shelf under the bed and put it there? Or, up front as you say and relocate it to the bedroom when parked. Good luck.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
The difficult thing is the chest weighs about 80 pounds, and skinny little old me will probably have to flip it on end and slide it up on the bed. May well have to strap it down to help, but I don't think carrying it back and forth is an option (particularly the way my back is). Good point to consider however, and I had not thought of it, thanks.
Bingo
Old 03-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

Bingo,
I would not put it on the bed when traveling. The rear of RV bounces and everything moves around. You do not want it on the bed and bouncing out your window. We have an end table in bedroom and it just fits under the bed. Could you remove the top shelf under the bed and put it there? Or, up front as you say and relocate it to the bedroom when parked. Good luck.
Hmm, may be a good point. I can see that maybe looking like a trampoline back there with the weight of that getting to bouncing??

Very nice looking piece though, and should look good with your interior color.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You mentioned you hoped it would fit at the foot of your bed. It would not fit at the foot of our bed the way our bed slides up against the drawers when the slide is in. Unless you can guarantee that item is empty when you move it around to setup or travel position, if you don't have a back problem yet, moving it around will give you a back problem.

That is a beautiful footlocker and a certainly better option than any other hamper solution, but I'd certainly look for a permanent place for it inside the rig so as not to mess with moving it. Like in the master BR corner and/or put locking wheels on the bottom for easier maneuverability, or some other place with easier access for your daughters or guests.

Let us know what you settle on. It will make a great addition to the beauty and functionality of your rig.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Guess we will see how it works. Made the order today, arrival next week, so we will have it for the trial run for the Easter camping trip. Will have to purchase a couple of laundry baskets for the inside, but will wait until arrives to get actual measurements. It is amazing how a person continues to personalize their rigs and decor!
Bingo

Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Guess we will see how it works. Made the order today, arrival next week, so we will have it for the trial run for the Easter camping trip. Will have to purchase a couple of laundry baskets for the inside, but will wait until arrives to get actual measurements. It is amazing how a person continues to personalize their rigs and decor!
Bingo
Keep us 3750 folks posted on how that works! Would look really good with black or brown laundry baskets in there. Enjoy your Easter camping trip Bingo and family!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
If the trunk is strong enough it will probably provide you with a great seat to put your shoes and socks on. I always carry mine out to the steps that go up to the living room to sit down and put them on.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You are thinking just like me Keith. I was hoping it would be strong enough to double as a changing bench. With a weight of 80 pounds, I would think it would be pretty sturdy. Will know in about two weeks for sure and will definitely post the results and a picture or two just for information purposes.
Bingo
Old 03-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Preliminary report: Received the trunk (table?) by Fed-Ex yesterday and unpacked it and was very impressed with the quality and appearance. A quick trip to the laundry room and was pleasantly surprised that the one square basket fit perfectly and took up less than half of the inside, perfect! I might try to take it to the rig this weekend to see if it will work in the bedroom, if not, then it will be used in the living room, either way, we have gained dirty laundry storage. I will post pics of the trunk at the foot of the bed for information purposes. I did sit on the trunk and it appeared solid and did not sag, but I am not sure that I am comfortable using it as a bench after trying determining the top thickness did not appear sufficient, but will do some more measuring and testing. I will probably contact the manufacturer to see if there have been allowable weight tests done. Bottom line, myself and DW (the one that counts) are happy with the purchase since it satisfies a need we have one way or the other.
Bingo