Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Driving Through Toronto Ontario to Niagra Falls

My nav program is routing us from North Bay, Ontario right through Toronto on Queen Elizabeth Highway down to Niagara Falls, Ont. It looks like a multi lane road. Has anybody been on this road, if so what is it like?

Also any suggestions for a RV park in the Niagara Falls area, we would prefer to stay on the Canada side.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
yes this just like the 401 .it is a multi lane hi-way.it can be busy at rush hour.should be smooth. and good traveling.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I don't remember the name of the rv park (sorry its been 4 yrs) but it wasn't far from downtown $42 a night Canadian and the QEH or the 401 was nice and quick. Have fun Jack nice water view on left and by the way I noticed their trucks have a lot of tires compaired to US I was told it was for weight distribution FYI
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
There is a KOA on the Canadian side that is close to the falls area.. There is also a bus that goes by right across the street that you can take down to the falls and not worry about parking.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
In Ontario all 400 series highways are double lane and often expand into more lanes as you reach the commuter zones surrounding major cities. If you are coming from North Bay I assume you are taking the highway 11 scenic route rather than crossing over into Parry Sound to pick up highway 400. In any event you will meet 400 at Barrie and then join the 401 at Toronto. The interchange is easy as you are taking the West merging lanes to the 401. The next interchange is 427 South to the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW). At this interchange you need to keep right or you will be fed onto the Gardner Expressway which takes you back into Toronto. The correct way is well marked but make your lane changes early. (Some drivers use the QEW merge lanes to beat the traffic on the slower and more heavily traveled merge onto the expressway and then cut across to the left lanes.) This will put you onto the QEW which takes you to Niagara Falls. As you approach Hamilton the left lanes continue to the Falls and the right merge onto highway 403 to Hamilton, again well marked. If you have access to Google Maps use the satellite view which gives you a really good picture of the interchanges.

I second Adelmoll's suggestion of the KOA on Lundy's Lane. The bus stops right outside the park and takes you to the Falls area. Last time I used it we got an all day bus pass good for multiple trips.

Enjoy your trip.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The KOA on the Canadian side is very nice and close to everything. Check the latest rules on border crossings....both sides.

It is also nice if you speak Canadian...Ehh...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I spent most of my career driving those highways in and around Toronto...I would do my best to avoid the rush hour times....0700 to 1000 in the morning....1500-1900 in the evening..it is busy at all times but during those hours.. stop and go traffic they will cut you no quarter.. RCN Stoker's directions are good.. Hwy 403 is an alternative...STAY OFF HWY 407.. It is a toll road and it is very expensive...although I have heard they will not attempt to collect on an out of province user....I cannot say that for sure..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I've used the 407 before, they get a picture of you plate, run it through the DMV and send you a bill in the mail. It's one of those your choice things. Traffic is usually lighter on the 407 vs the 403/QEW, but you pay for the light traffic, but unless they have expanded it, you will still finish the last half on the QEW anyway. It's been a few years since we've been up that way, used to go up to the French River area south of Sudbury to vist friends.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
If not too late (but I bet we are)...if you want to pay for it, #407 west off #400 is the way to go, from an ease of transit perspective. It's a fairly new, well-maintained, multi-lane roadway that will take you straight past the navigation and bad traffic of #401, #427, #403 and the QEW (all multi-lane, busy roads - the 401 has 8-10 lanes a side in Mississauge) and drop you right onto the better part of the QEW toward Niagara Falls. BUT, you will be charged a toll, a video toll charge to read your plate and you may be charged as a heavy, multi-unit vehicle (don't get me started!). Not to worry, the money will be sent to a billionaire in Spain (you think, this guy's joking, right? Wrong). Good luck, happy trails and welcome to Canada!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I know you stated you wanted to stay on the Canadian side, but just for the record there is a campground 20 miles, US Side, called Niagara Heartland RV park. It is a Passport America RV park and is $15 a night PA Rates, plus electric deposit of $5 a night, so for $20 you can save some bucks. It's in the middle of nowhere, and peaceful.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote