Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Slide Wiring Hanging Down

It's still pretty muddy, so it'll be a day or two before I get to it, but I noticed the electric wiring outside under the slide is hanging down. Should there be a spring or bungee holding it up? What am I looking for?

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
On our 2007 we have a spring that supports the wiring.
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have an '06 3500RL and the wiring is held level by a plastic support. The problem with these is the support will crack where it's attached to the extended slideout and cause the wiring (or hoses) to sag like what you describe. A temporary fix is to use tie wraps to connect the two pieces back together. A longer term fix is to cut the support straight at the break and attach a hinge between the end of the support to the frame piece of the slideout.

If this description matches your problem here's my fix that I got from the membership but you'll find mine is not as "heavy-duty" as others have done, but it works GREAT!:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...,support,hinge
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
If you are talking about the plastic support that supports the wiring on the slide that Art is talking about then you will have to cut off the broken piece of plastic and then it will have to be reattached in some fashion. I had the same problem but attached it a little different than Art did.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
VanMan, has a 2000 Montana Mountaineer TT 305FKS which is a pull behind trailer not a fifth wheel. Being that old I think he may be the only one on the forum that has one.

Larry on our 2003 we had a metal rod that the wiring went around along with a spring to support it. I don’t know if anyone can really gave you a good answer about you’re problem…

I’m thinking it may be a spring holding up the wire loom…
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Those voting for a spring WON! The spring is still hanging there. It looks like the wiring harness might have just been taped to it with electrical wire. I'll try a loose fitting nylon tie and should be good to go. THANKS!! I think there were only a couple of older Montanas here, but I may have outlasted them!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Vanman, here is a photo of the cable running under my LR slide. It has the cable coiled around a rod.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

A longer term fix is to cut the support straight at the break and attach a hinge between the end of the support to the frame piece of the slideout.

I did that...and it broke again, about an inch from the hinge. Just finished putting the hinge on...for the second time.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Tom, same here. We were taking off when we discovered the hinge had not worked. Ed did a quick fix with Duck Tape. Forgot about it until the duck tape wore out - duck tape again. It holds for about a year.
There is no need for anyone to reply to this about using duck tape for "something so important". It works so that is all that is important.
Happy Trails................................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote