Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
sabeaulieu
Established Member

M.O.C. #8582
tires

can anyone tell me the best tires to put on my 3400rl montana we have gone thru all 4 mission tires and they were replaced with one freestar and then with 3 high life tires all of them are made in china.

sabeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Michelin Ribs.

Never heard of one failing.

I've got just of 100 miles on mine. Ask me again in 4 years.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
The first thing I would suggest is weigh your trailer (fully loaded) on a certified scale. If possible, weigh each wheel individually, if not then each axle individually. The wheel (or axle) with the most weight on it will determine the load bearing capacity the tires will need to be rated for.
If you want to stay with an ST (special trailer) rated tire, your options are pretty limited for a "quality" tire. As a tire dealer I have been through several brands of ST rated tires (Power King, Kona, Triangle, Carlilse, Freestar, and Maxxis) trying to find something that I can call a quality tire. Of them all, Maxxis seems to be the one doing the best, but they are in such high demand availability is becoming an issue.
Another option would be to do as I and many others do, use an LT (light truck) rated tire. You will have to change size from 235/80R16 to 235/85R16 or 245/75R16. By using the LT rated tire you will have many more options to choose from and availability becomes much better. Just make sure the tires you choose are rated for the load they will be carrying.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Lonnie,
Question??
A old time friend and mechanic told me that highway thread type tire will run cooler then a mud and snow type tire??
The highway thread is not an aggressive thread.
What is your opion?
Thanks
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By carlson

Lonnie,
Question??
A old time friend and mechanic told me that highway thread type tire will run cooler then a mud and snow type tire??
The highway thread is not an aggressive thread.
What is your opion?
Thanks
E. Sven
When you say mud and snow, are you referring to A/T (all terrain) type tires? Most of the H/T (highway tread) light truck tires on the market today, have M+S (mud and snow) molded into the sidewall. These are not aggressive tires, the tread is just designed to better handle mud or snow conditions than the old standard highway tire.
I don't KNOW that the highway tread tire runs any cooler than the all terrain tread, but I can see how it could. It also will generally out-last the all terrain tread.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Lonnie,
Thanks for the reply.
since I went looking for new tires for the 3400 I have been looking at a less aggressive thread, because last year I blew two tires that where less than a year old
Thanks
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have not had the chance to use our rig much this year to be the health provider for elder parents. I keep my tires check, but see no cracks. My unit is under cover and out of the sun, should I do anything to keep my tires in good shape.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote