Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Leaking TV Antenna

The crank up TV antenna in my 2005 3400RL leaks in heavy rain. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a missing seal or just inadequate design? Help.

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This was just discussed in another topic within the past two days. I am not good at creating links to forum topics, so I'll try and post based on what I read.

One person had a problem where the coax connector into the roof was not sealed properly and water leaked in from there. Someone else recommended checking the sealant used around the antenna to make sure it is not compromised. In either case, to repair requires application of a roof sealant (the brand names slip my mind).

Hopefully, someone comes along real soon and provides the brand names of sealants. You can try the search function above to try and find similar topics and posts.

Best of luck with your issue.

ON EDIT: I did a search and found the topic which is similar to your leaking antenna. Under "All Forums", click on "MOC on M.A.R.S.", then click on "Montana Technical Help, Problems & Problem Solving", then look for the topic "Drip!" authored by "beakyfudd". I hope this can help.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RADHAZJOE

The crank up TV antenna in my 2005 3400RL leaks in heavy rain. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a missing seal or just inadequate design? Help.
Ours leaked around the coax. The boot over the coax had worked its way up and allwed water to follow the coax down inside the rig. We fixed ours by using a little caulking compound on the coax and slid the boot back down on the coax. It's been like that for over five years now and has never leaked again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
While getting ready to take the Monty out for a trip, I noticed that the sealant around my antenna had a split in it. I got a tube of Dicor rubber roof sealant and repaired the split. Check all around the antenna and everything else on the roof. The sealant is easy to work with.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
On a SOB we had a leak past the seals on the antenna shaft, the O-rings where damaged that seal the shaft. You would have to check with a repair shop to see if there is a kit.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote