Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Livin salty
Established Member

M.O.C. #22108
Ram 3500 auto level

How well does the Montana level up system’s memory hook up height work? I ask this because for the life of me I can’t figure out how to use it with the ram 3500 auto level. Let me set the scene. I have hooked up, full weight of the 5th on the pick up. The Rams auto level starts raising to level mode. I travel down the road and what do I do once I go to un hook? Do I push the “alternative height button”? Does that release the bags to regular unloaded level? Then unhook the 5th so it will be at the same level when I go to hook back up to the 5th? side note: you can’t raise the rear of the truck without weight on it.
Have any of you Ram owners with auto level figured out a fool proof way that you wouldn’t mind sharing with me? Guess I could just back up and manually run the front legs up and down to the right height like we use to do back in 2010...lol. Just curious if you guys do anything other than that.
Thank you for any input
Dirk

Livin salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I simply unhook the montana, the truck will return to the stock height once the fifth wheels weight is removed. Whe you hitck back up all is fine. Once the wight is returned to the truck, the truck will level the load again. There is nothing to it.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:11 AM   #3
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
I lift pin box up till it’s about 1/2” off of hitch. Truck goes down by itself a little bit. Then lower 5th wheel to about 1/2” away from hitch & it will usually disconnect just by pulling the hitch lever. Then I turn off air bags. Weather that’s right or wrong. It works for me. My truck is a 18 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab 4x4
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Livin salty
Established Member

M.O.C. #22108
Thanks guys. So if I understand it correctly, the 5th wheel may not return to the unhitch level (memory) to rehitch if the truck is higher when unhitching ( due to tongue weight) compared to normal empty height when rehitching. Maybe I’m overthinking the whole thing and need to see what happens on my next trip. Just curious. Thanks again
Dirk
Old 12-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin salty View Post
Thanks guys. So if I understand it correctly, the 5th wheel may not return to the unhitch level (memory) to rehitch if the truck is higher when unhitching ( due to tongue weight) compared to normal empty height when rehitching. Maybe I’m overthinking the whole thing and need to see what happens on my next trip. Just curious. Thanks again
Dirk
I think for the auto hitch return to work is when you disconnect and move your truck you need to hit auto level from that point is you move the front legs manually without hitting auto level the system won't remember where the disconnect height was. I think is is based on where the front landing gear is when you hit auto level.
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
Livin salty
Established Member

M.O.C. #22108
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylwt View Post
I think for the auto hitch return to work is when you disconnect and move your truck you need to hit auto level from that point is you move the front legs manually without hitting auto level the system won't remember where the disconnect height was. I think is is based on where the front landing gear is when you hit auto level.
Ok! That is the missing link I wasn’t thinking about. Makes perfect sense.
Thanks again
Dirk
Old 12-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
The hitch may be two inches lower. I always back the truck up and then adjust the 5th wheel.. its no biggie..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote