Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Private campgrounds

We have been park hosts at state parks for the past 3 years. I am wondering if many of you have experiance at private campgrounds doing the same? What can I expect and what should I be aware of? I intend to ask plenty of questions of management so I don't go into anything blind
Any help is appreciated

John

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For us what always killed the deal is the amount of hours they wanted compared to Fish and Wildlife, plus the campsites were bigger and the other benefits (free laundry etc) were better. We also were very seldom asked to cover some event on our days off and we didn't have issues with the folks we camped with because we were all employees. It's probably just us, but we didn't want our neighbors looking at us as their employee when they didn't like what the park did or didn't do for them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:54 AM   #3
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
I much prefer volunteering for governmental agencies over commercial parks. Commercial parks expect more hours and do not appreciate what you do. I have always been treated better as a volunteer instead of an employee. Plus, you get all those cool caps free!!
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:28 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
hours seem to always be an issue. you go in thinking 25 hours and then they want you to work more hours.

another thing is having the same days off as your spouse....ask and then ask again. i.e. we were told we would have one day off together but then when there they said we would, at times, be working 7 days a week.

my wife was told she would be cooking we would work the same hours....problems: initially she cleaned cabins and then cooked afternoon evenings. I worked days.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote