Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Anyone add Solor to Factory package

I have a 2020 coming with solar and am wondering if anyone has added more panels to the factory setup, if so what brand and any changes to the stock setup?
Thanks

GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
Our 2019 3120 came with one solar panel, the inverted was bad and had to have that changed out. Still not sure about how to use, could sure use information if anyone has knowledge of this factory installed solar panel.
MOC #4579
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2golfers View Post
Our 2019 3120 came with one solar panel, the inverted was bad and had to have that changed out. Still not sure about how to use, could sure use information if anyone has knowledge of this factory installed solar panel.
I was wondering if it came with an inverter. I'm considering it too and wondering if it makes more sense to add it later. Solar is not much good without storage so swapping out the 12v for 6v batteries seems like a good plan.
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
I have a 2020 coming with solar and am wondering if anyone has added more panels to the factory setup, if so what brand and any changes to the stock setup?
Thanks
You'll have to upgrade the 30A Jaboni solar controller and add more battery storage before adding more panels. I posted what I did somewhere on this forum.
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
The factory solar should come with a 30 amp MPPT controller and a 2000 watt inverter as part of the package. I believe it also comes with a separate battery monitor that looks like the victor it’s 710 display. I’m curious is the controller is programmable myself. For the money we think the smaller solar flex system is worth it.
Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelife View Post
The factory solar should come with a 30 amp MPPT controller and a 2000 watt inverter as part of the package. I believe it also comes with a separate battery monitor that looks like the victor it’s 710 display. I’m curious is the controller is programmable myself. For the money we think the smaller solar flex system is worth it.
I asked at the dealer here in Mesa if I could add panels without changing things. I was told the system was set up to handle a total of 3 panels. I want to add 2 panels and was told to use the same brand and size. does anyone know what brand comes from the factory? I could buy them from the dealer but there price is seriously higher than what I'm seeing on line. Also any comments on the quality of the inverter and controller that come on these from the factory. As for my opinion of the battery monitor - I find it hard to read & understand. I was in a friends rig and his monitor is so much easier to read. power in power out , % of battery remaining.
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #7
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Once I took possession of the 3561 I replaced the two batteries with two

Batter Born LiFe4 batteries in preparation of adding two more panels. We don't dry camp so we most likely wont make use of them but we do go cost to coast each year and could need them.
I found the best use for me is in storage, leave the battery switch on and they are always charged and the batteries run the residential frig all night if we pull over at a truck/rest stop.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinspo View Post
I asked at the dealer here in Mesa if I could add panels without changing things. I was told the system was set up to handle a total of 3 panels. I want to add 2 panels and was told to use the same brand and size. does anyone know what brand comes from the factory? I could buy them from the dealer but there price is seriously higher than what I'm seeing on line. Also any comments on the quality of the inverter and controller that come on these from the factory. As for my opinion of the battery monitor - I find it hard to read & understand. I was in a friends rig and his monitor is so much easier to read. power in power out , % of battery remaining.
Does the battery monitor that comes with factory solar not have %of battery left?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
I was working on the solar this weekend and decided to make some changes. First I’m taking off the 265 watt solar panel that came from the factory. I found new panels that are 305 watt that I am replacing it with. The plan is to put up 3 panels. (I think that's all the factory wiring can take.) I'll have a 265 watt jaboni panel to sell if this all works. I ordered a 60amp charge controller, a new battery monitor since I can’t understand the factory one. Replacing the 2 12 volt batteries with 4 6 volts. I have everything ordered and hope to get started this week. I need to get it done before going to Lake Havasu in a few weeks.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
I’ve read in other places that 3 panels is all the current set up can handle as well. Why are you switching out the 30amp controller for a 60amp one? Not impressed with the battery monitor so far either gonna install a victron 712 and a magnum remote start for the generator. I’d like to be able to set the discharge level for the auto start to kick on instead of just voltage. Lastly soft start modules for the AC.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #11
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinspo View Post
I was working on the solar this weekend and decided to make some changes. First I’m taking off the 265 watt solar panel that came from the factory. I found new panels that are 305 watt that I am replacing it with. The plan is to put up 3 panels. (I think that's all the factory wiring can take.) I'll have a 265 watt jaboni panel to sell if this all works. I ordered a 60amp charge controller, a new battery monitor since I can’t understand the factory one. Replacing the 2 12 volt batteries with 4 6 volts. I have everything ordered and hope to get started this week. I need to get it done before going to Lake Havasu in a few weeks.
Love to see pics of the finished job. To include your battery install.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #12
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelife View Post
I’ve read in other places that 3 panels is all the current set up can handle as well. Why are you switching out the 30amp controller for a 60amp one? Not impressed with the battery monitor so far either gonna install a victron 712 and a magnum remote start for the generator. I’d like to be able to set the discharge level for the auto start to kick on instead of just voltage. Lastly soft start modules for the AC.
I'm changing out the controller on the advise of 2 people who know more than I about this stuff. (that's about everyone probably that know more) By adding 3 305 what panels by their math it would be to much for the 30 amp can handle. the controller I chose is the Renogy-500A-Battery monitor. I've seen it in a couple trailers and love how easy it is to read and understand.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #13
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Well finished everything except new batteries. I'm still trying to decide on what batteries I want to use. Li-ion are to much $$$$ - Probably going to use 2 250 Amp AGM for now.
Anyway, I'm super happy with the 3 new 305 Amp Solar Panels & EPEVER 60Amp MPPT charge controller. I also added a Renolgy 500 amp battery monitor and a on / off switch inside for the inverter.
Since I was under the front I worked on the noisy water pump. I added a 1/4" silicone pad under the pump. I also added a accumulator tank to hopefully get a smoother water flow - less surging - fewer pump starts and longer pump motor life.
Excited about our first trip with the new install in a couple weeks to Lake Havasu.
I have the 265 Amp Jobani panel and 30 amp MPPT controller to sell if anyone is looking to add a second Jobani
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3922.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	5501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3907.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	5502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3918.jpg
Views:	54