Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
So many problems

I have a 2019 High Country 384BR that is a little over 1 year old. I have had several problems and have had it at the dealer 2 times for repairs without success. I keep it on a lake under a 25'x75' cover I had built to protect it from the elements but have taken it on 3 trips too.
I am going to list the major issues to see if anyone has any solutions. I won't even mention all the things I have fixed myself. I have an appointment on Oct. 1st back at the dealer but it will be cooler and the A/C and fridge problems will not be present.

1.A/C drips water from ceiling seem onto couch during hot weather with high humidity. It is under cover so it is not rain water. Mounting bolts are tight and drains are not plugged. Happend the first time on my first stop at a campground the day I purchased the High Country.
2. 12cu.ft. Dometic RV fridge does not cool properly. After opening and closing doors for normal use temperature climbs to mid to upper 40's and may go down to low 40's in morning after fridge doors are left closed all night. It is on electric power.
3. Slide out motors leaked and damaged roofs. Roofs patched partially.
4. All interior door edges peeling.
5. Kitchen and bathroom lights dim/go out when turning fans on.
6.Furnace burner fills with water and is inoperable when travelling in rain.
I have to remove the gas valve and burner and dump the water out before I can use it.
7.Last but not least. Door side wall is separating from frame 3/4" at steps and hallway to bedroom. I've attached photos. Spoke to Keystone today and and almost fell off my chair when I was told this is normal. Someone please tell me these are not designed to come apart like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_182956.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	4296   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_173931.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	4297   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_112914.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	4298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_152057.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	4299  

Old 07-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
#2 - I would bet the farm the refrig was not installed to specs and has
ventilation problems. This can be overcome by adding fans to move air
across the (outside) upper fins and out the upper vent. Air must absolutely
move through these outside fins and out the upper vent for proper cooling
and longevity of the refrig.

#3 - Welcome to the club. Luckily, I installed the drip pans before any damage. Keystone should be ashamed of this.

#5 - The only cure is to run new and separate circuits for the fans.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dennis-- Have you contacted Keystone Customer Service about this? Who is your dealer that has not fixed items supposedly that had been fixed by them? If you have not contacted Keystone Customer Service do so as soon as possible. When you call make sure you have your Vin # and a list of items that the dealer supposedly fixed and the dates they "were supposedly fixed" and also any other problems that you have listed above.
See if Keystone has a file on your unit that the dealer was supposedly to start on any warranty work done on the unit. If none, ask if a file can be opened on your unit.

Remember one thing, be as nice as possible to the Customer Service Rep because if you get mad or angry and threatening to the Rep. This is the first sign you will not get anything done if the Rep feels this in the conversation.

Offer to send the pictures you have to them so they can also see what you are talking about.

If you are displeased with your dealer and the work they do, ask for a possible other dealer that is close to you that you can take the unit to for work. In doing so, make sure Keystone contacts that dealer to do maintenance on your unit because a lot of dealers will not do work on units that have not been purchased through them or if they do they schedule any work months down the line

Let us know how thing turn out on this.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On the AC it sounds like you may need to have the duct replaced or the unit reseated. If air from the ceiling space is getting into the duct work that's where the condensation is coming from. The slideout motors is a known problem and catch pans should be installed under them. The lights issue could be a bad battery. I'd have it tested at an auto parts store.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When in trouble our first call is always to Keystone customer service and in 14 years they have always been helpful. Do remember as Rondo suggest and do not direct your anger and frustration toward Customer service. Since we are able to attend the fall rallies and have since 2006 we have been all over the service center and have met many, many of the service reps. They are good people and will help you.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #6
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have spoke to Keystone Customer Service numerous times and sent over a dozen e-mails with photos. I've attached a few here of the water on the couch from the air conditioner and the fridge. These 2 items I have been dealing with since brand new in June 2018. It has been to 2 different dealers for this. The dealers turn the a/c fan on high, it runs constantly and they cannot duplicate the problem. I get it back turn the fan on auto and have water dripping on the couch in 4 hrs.
For the fridge, they turn it on, leave it on with the doors closed and it goes to 35 degrees and stays there with never opening the doors. I get it back, turn it on, it goes to 35 degrees by morning, I open the doors and put food in it and close the doors as quickly as possible and it goes to over 45 degrees and can't ever catch up. I have an outside fridge and put drinks in there so as not to be opening and closing the fridge doors unnecesarily.
I feel I have been very patient, but when I was told by a Keystone Rep yesterday that the wall separation is "normal", I lost my patience. I have a 3/4" gap between the side wall and floor allowing cold and hot air, bugs, spiders and flies into the coach.
The dealer can't get me in until October 1 so I explained to the Keystone Rep. that driving 4.5 hrs. to the unit then towing it 2 hrs. to the dealer will be a waste of my time in October because with the cooler temps the fridge and a/c symptoms will not be there.
I was told by one Keystone Rep. that they would send a mobile tech to me but for some reason that is no longer an option.
I am very frustrated and disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190714_071125.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	4314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_073414.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	4315   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_092231.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	4316   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_210942.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	4317  
Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the norcold 4 door fridge. The fridge will normally be colder with nothing in it add stuff and it will be warmer at the same set temp. We are preparing for a road trip and right now at a set temp of 4 it is reading 37 degrees empty.When we load it up for the trip it will settle at @ 44 degrees.Do not overload the fridge. We replaced the failed cooling unit with a quality Amish unit

In high humidity conditions the RV A/C may weep.The S&B A/C units do the same thing. proper ventilation will help or prevent the weeping. We keep the Fantastic fan running on low in the RV .It has been very humid here in Northern ohio and our S&B A/C was weeping in the utility room.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
DoughertyAcre
Established Member

M.O.C. #20640
AC - We had a similar problem. We had a mobile tech (at our cost) reseal the AC - did not fix the problem. We took it to our dealer and it turned out that the hole was not cut right when the AC was installed at factory. Warranty covered the cost of it being fixed. No problems since.
2015 Ford F350 (I love my truck !!!!!)
DoughertyAcre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Concur with Creeker on the fridge - look at adding fans. Fridge will also run better on gas than electric and they use almost no gas.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #10
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
How are you measuring the temp in your refrigerator? The most accurate way is to put a thermometer in a glass of water, as the air temp will change rapidly as soon as you open the door. As far as the wall gap being normal, I would tell Keystone that it is normal to never buy one of their products again and warn everyone possible about their shoddy workmanship and uncaring attitude.
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
I just ordered a fan at my expense and will install it when I get back down to the 5er.
I just don't understand why this new 5'er is built without them if that is what it takes to make them cool properly. $$$
I spoke to Keystone again today and plan on having Keystone look at the wall separation at the Rally in Goshen. I just cannot accept this being normal.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #12
unclesam
Established Member

M.O.C. #18286
I can't help with the wall separation but I believe I can solve your wet furnace problem. Water intrusion is coming from the less than spectacular seal around the cover. Mine was so bad, there was corrosion on my circuit board and my dealer gave me a new board. To solve your problem, install thin weather stripping in the channel where the cover fits.Then re-install the cover and add two screws across the top of the cover to provide a better fit. I also put a "thin" bead of black RTV around the cover. It's a shame we have to apply modifications to something so simple as a cover!
unclesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #13
Davidbeavers

M.O.C. #21635
We have the same refrigerator. Just picked it up at dealer and they replaced the thermistor. This morning the fridge was down to 33. Now up to 48 with nothing in it and the doors being closed. The fins in the back are dripping water. Apparently it’s wasn’t the thermistor. We have a 2018 HC305RL.
Davidbeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
Rick Leary
Established Member

M.O.C. #20075
Send a message via AIM to Rick Leary Send a message via MSN to Rick Leary Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Leary
Any dealer that tells you this is normal is bat crap crazy. Get them to put their assessment in print for future reference and then ran as fast as you can to the next reputable dealer. This IS NOT normal under any circumstances!! I can't help but notice poor quality / workmanship seems to follow light weight units. Don't know that to be statistically accurate but my impression none the less. I have an 2015 3610RL and have yet to have the first problem and I know how fortunate I am.
Rick Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #15
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
I'm going to get some push back on my comments, but welcome to Keystone Quality Assurance
First and foremost get a dealer that is willing to help you, because the factory can generally give crap less They make units, shove them out the door, and let the dealer deal with their shoddy workmanship and downright pee poor customer focus
I made a PowerPoint presentation and took my dealer and showed them every issue. At (1) point I told the sales folks I was gonna shove the unit where the sun didn't shine . Oh they listened but only as a courtesy. Get to know your service tech, manager and maybe you can get some relief. Unfortunately if you are over a year in this stuff, bend over ( Sorry )
There are those out there that never had a problem Good for them For those of us that do /did, we need to get states to develope protection laws for consumers . Maybe they would shape up
Had the same problems with trim, doors, slide seals, and the furnace ( almost everyone has had that) but the manufacturers don't care to fix it
Good luck my friend
Old 07-31-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Oh yeah Keep posting your issues. I hear Keystone monitors this blog? So MAYBE someone will hear our pleas the best way is to remember when you buy another one I never will and hope others don't as well Until it hits their pocketbook, little will change
Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 PM   #17
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
You have done right. schedule an appointment with the techs at the rally.

Make sure, again, that you have it scheduled or you will lose out.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
I went back down to the 5th wheel (4.5 Hrs. away) this past week and did some troubleshooting and repairs.

I found this link to a Technical Service Bulletin for the a/c dripping water.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79726-2280.pdf
I followed the instructions and sealed the extra mounting holes and existing mounting bolts on the roof. It was in the low 90's most of the week and no water dripping on my couch. I've got my fingers crossed this is fixed.

I also found the fridge has 4-12 volt cooling fans on the back side, but the temperature switch was shutting them off at times and the fridge would not go below 40 degrees by morning. I experimented moving the tempertaure switch to a hotter location and adding a 145cfm 12 volt fan at different locations. I ended up removing one of the OEM fans and installing the more powerfull fan in its place and placing the temperature switch directly on one of the hotter tubes to keep the fans running. The fridge got down to 35 degrees by morning and only dropped to 38 when opening and closing the doors for meals. Problem solved?

The water getting into the furnace is not coming in through the large plastic cover door. The furnace floor/area had no water on it when the furnace would not light. When I removed the gas valve and burner, water ran out of the heat exchanger and the burner was full of water. The water was coming in through the exhaust tube. Dometic is familiar with the problem and sent new replacement parts to the dealer for me. I replaced the corroded parts and installed a partial cover over the exhaust port to keep rain water out and have had no problem since. Been through several heavy downpours.
I've attached photos of the furnace issues and fix.

Hope this can help someone else having similar issues.

I'm happy that some of the problems are hopefully resolved but dissappointed that they occurred in a new unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190312_105155.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	4392   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190312_105207.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	4393   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190312_110135.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	4394   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190703_102811.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	4395  
Old 08-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our OEM cooling units failed in both our 06 3400 and this 13 3402. We had the same issues as reported here with the OEM cooling units. We replaced then with a quality AmISh cooling units from shipswewana.

We are on the road now returning from the Central plains rally. We have the norcold 4 door at is pretty full temp setting at 3 and internal fridge temp is 39.7.This is a normal temp for us.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #20
govslug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19741
Angry

We bought ours in 2017....less than 2 yrs. old....so fortunate to have bought the extended warranty...first trip out was the fridge...shelves would not stay in place...the inside walls of fridge were warped....new fridge installed by dealer under warranty. This year..first trip out...bedroom a/c quit blowing cold and main a/c was not keeping up . Saw the posts about the gear box on slides leaking...all 3 of ours were and roof bubbled on all 3.....brought into dealer ...replaced both a/c units and all 3 slide gear boxes and fixed a landing gear problem we did not even know about ....under our extended warranty . They would do nothing about the bubbling roofs . They said the adjuster ( because the amount of work was so large they had to get an adjuster out ) said because the roof had not "failed" they would not do anything .
Soooooo....we have been RVing a very long time and know it won't be long before those bubbles will be a problem.....NOT RIGHT ! We had a forest river for 12 years and had zero issues.....traded it in for this unit and has spent more days at the dealer than at a camp ground . This last trip after all was fixed....hot water heater didn't work !!
I fixed the hot water heater.....tired of the unit sitting at our dealer for weeks on end to get things fixed....seriously thinking of trading in for a different brand...this was suppose to be our retirement RV...so frustrated .
6.0 Power Stroke Diesel
govslug is offline   Reply With Quote