Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
TK1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21975
Adding 2nd A/C

We are considering installing a second A/C in the bedroom of our 3400RL.
Does anyone know if the thermostat in the living room will control the second unit? The thermostat appears to be a multi zone unit, but I'm not sure if there are wires run to the bedroom junction box for it or not. I have also heard that a second A/C won't work well with the ducting. Some have said that it actually will work against the main A/C. Any advice or suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Your thermostat question will be better answered by knowing the model and year of your Montana. My second A/C was going to be rather involved to make is connect with the factory thermostat.
I have installed a second A/C in my Montana and installed a second thermostat to control it. In retrospect I should have installed a A/C with the controls on the bottom of the unit as we only use it for a short time to cool down the Montana after setting up camp. A thermostat was a waste of time to install for this application.
prndl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We had a 2010 2955RL that came with only a single AC. We added a second AC, a Dometic Penguin 13500 low profile in the Bedroom. We had the quick dump feature, but it was also tied in the existing duct system. Hooking up to the T-stat was a breeze, all wires and power were right there in the attic area. Just had to make sure the correct interface box was installed in the AC to work with the T-stat. Worked great for us
Old 06-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
We had a another Keystone %th Wheel. I added a second air in the bedroom and we had no troubles with the main air. We couldn't have it hooked up to the thermostat even for it being multi zone because it didn't have a probe in the bedroom to read the temperature. So we went with a non thermostat unit with the switches in the air unit. It was no problem to get up and turn it on and off. Worked great....

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Can’t answer your questions about the thermostat. But we installed a 2nd stand alone A/C (13.5k) in the bedroom in ours. Even in really hot weather we rarely used it except to more quickly cool the trailer after a long day driving in hot temps. And in Texas we have lots of those. Once the trailer cooled well, we turned it off and the rear 15k would keep the trailer comfortable.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote