Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #61
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
I’m still talking/emailing Keystone. Whenever I get finished, I cannot wait to post the emails that I have received from Keystone. They literally think we are ignorant. Anyway, I’ll let you know. But we are really wanting ours back from the dealer soon.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #62
Al D.
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22417
I know what you mean. I haven't gotten the same answer twice. No definitive outline as to the answers given. I don't know who was the worst. Keystone or my dealership. It is actually hillarius to go back through the emails and compare them all.
The sun still comes up so there is still hope.
Al D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #63
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
To the poster that said just accept keystones fix, I suppose you would accept ford/gm/dodges fix of a drip pan under your trucks leaky sun roof ? It will dry up when the truck temps reach 140 deg in the summer heat.

Not a chance in the world !!!
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:55 AM   #64
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
the explanation says that the gear box is filled with too much grease.
once overflow has dripped out it will not drip further.
meaning its not supposed to run dry by dripping out overflow.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #65
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
And you believe what an RV manufacturer says. Just like a car salesmen, if there lips are moving THIER LYING !!!!
Old 05-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #66
shbcr1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23835
Has anyone thought of going to their local news media? I live in the Tampa Metro media market and all the major TV channels have investigative reporters. It is clear that Keystone is still selling these units with defective slide motors. Maybe if we apply some media heat they will do the right thing. If anyone is interested in going with me to the media, please pm me.
shbcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #67
Donutmkr

M.O.C. #23215
Hello everyone. My first post. Vary happy I ran across this discussion about the leaking gear boxes! I have an 18 month old 2018 370BR Montana High Country, and inspected the gear boxes for the slides after reading about all of the problems. When I did the inspection I found 3 out of 4 boxes were indeed leaking and there were 3 inch bubbles on the slide out roof caused by leaking gear oil. I took it to our dealer and was informed that they will try to get Keystone to provide the drip trays at no cost however the roof will need to be patched, at my expense since I am 6 months out of warranty. Are there any new developments from Keystone regarding this?
Donutmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #68
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Donutmkr .... Definitely do the drip pans, BUT don’t get excited over the roof patch job. The roof membrane manufacture is saying the oil will not cause damage to membrane. It just bubbles it. Long story short, clean all oil residue off, slowly, lightly heat membrane with hair dryer, be careful, smooth bubbles out. They say roof will go back close to normal. There is a video on this, but I forget where it is at. So far, mine looks good. AND, the main thing is, no hole in my roof that was patched, and will even more depreciate the trade in value even more. Keep researching, and never give up. I’ll better hush before words start flying on the name Thor. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #69
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I beg to differ. Anything made with petroleum distillates WILL destroy a EPDM roof over time. This is the reason why you have to be careful what you seal/ clean/caulk the EPDM roof with. The bubbling of the EPDM is trying to tell you something. IT DOES NOT LIKE IT !!!!
Old 06-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #70
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
beeje... I agree with you 100% ! I’m assuming that since everyone on here is catching the mess in time, the membrane hasn’t had time to dissolve all the way thru. But, then again, the advice comes from Keystone and the membrane manufacturer. Go figure. But, so far, mine are looking good.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:42 AM   #71
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
beeje... I agree with you 100% ! I’m assuming that since everyone on here is catching the mess in time, the membrane hasn’t had time to dissolve all the way thru. But, then again, the advice comes from Keystone and the membrane manufacturer. Go figure. But, so far, mine are looking good.
It may be too early to tell if you use the hair dryer method for repair that the roof is not damaged. The affected portion of the roof may age faster.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #72
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
would like to resurrect this thread. Has anyone had any luck in fighting with Keystone to get their slide roof membrane replaced after being told that they will only repair with tape? My 2019 310RE is in the shop now for this and this is what I am being told. Keystone only authorized the repair to clean and put tape on the bubbled section. I do not accept this. When I e-mailed Keystone they said this is the industry standard for repair that was developed with the assistance of the motor vendor. I didn't buy my Monty from the motor vendor, and on Keystones website they say that their goal is always to ensure the satisfaction of our customers.
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #73
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
In the past folks have said the membranes were replaced
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #74
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I have read different threads and post on here and others forums, and they are all different, some get replacement, some get repair with tape, and some even just get clean and heat with a heat gun and smooth the bubbles out. This makes no sense to me, it should be the same for everyone with this problem. And there should be a recall, and quit using the known defective motors. I told them all of this in my last e-mail, waiting for a reply.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #75
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
You could wait months to get an appointment at the dealer, then when they get your trailer, wait another month for them to get to it. Then wait for them to get warranty approval, which never comes. In the end, the dealer will do a half-assed repair and you will pay through the nose. I am keeping my eye on the bubble, and when it gets bad enough, I’ll fix it myself (and do a better job than the dealer).
Old 03-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #76
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
go for the throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Sure did until Keystone releaized how many needed fixed and how much money that was going to cost them. So lets see replace roof membrane at 500 or more dollars each or cut a 4 inch square piece out then replace it with a 6 inch square piece of Etrenabond for 50 dollars. I know this frustrats you but you gota let it go.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #77
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
So the lady at the service dept. called today and said they were about done with all other repairs I had them doing under warranty and said that on Monday they were going to go ahead with the tape repair so they could get my unit out.
Guess I'm stuck with a repair, as I am not getting anywhere with keystone. One of the other things they were doing was there were 4 cracks in the shower stall, keystone didn't like their estimate to replace it so I was told they were sending someone from the shower stall manufacture to do it. Today I find out that they just did a repair on that too. I guess I will have to go over this thing with a fine tooth comb when I go to pick it up.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:02 PM   #78
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Maybe I caught it early, but alcohol, heat gun & steel roller=no more bubbles. I do clean the grease trays every few months though.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:07 AM   #79
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Are you getting much grease in the pans?
Just wondering ?
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #80
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
go for the throat

Complaing in this Thead is useless but a real problem for the owners. Keystone minimized thier costs for repairs by just patching the bubbles and putting a catch pan under the motors instead of fixing the problem. But wait what happens when you see no more grease in the pans, I would think the motors are out of grease and will self destruct at some point. Of course it will be out of warrenty by that point and you get to fix the problem at your expense when this happens. Keystone, business smart or complete jerks or both?
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote