Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Moving the converter

Why you ask? When charging on generator I get 14.2 volts coming from the inverter, by the time it gets to the battery the volts have dropped to 13.6. When my new Iota 9200 3 level charger goes off boost I only get 13.1 volts up front. I can run the genny for hours and not get a decent charge on the batteries.
Connections are good, wire is factory 6 gauge. I either have to increase the wire size (difficult and $) or just move the converter to the front compartment as I already have 120 volts there. As long as my batteries are in the vented boxes the fumes shouldn't hurt anything, so I can't see a reason not to.
To test this I have put an old Iota that came with the rig with a manual high charge mode up front and it works like a champ, giving me a full 13.6 volts on float and 14.4 on high . I guess I could leave it there, but then I have to remember to change the setting when hooked to power and I won't have the automatic equalization, which is why I changed it out in the first place. Leaves me a backup charger though.
Of course I think a complete solar system would solve all my problems, but DW has other uses for $1000+.

2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
too much to think about;;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
How old are your batteries (you have one, two, or more)?

Why are you suggesting they are weak?

Are they same make, size and age?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
The voltage drop, using the frame as the ground return, should be less than .3 volts during the peak charging current, especially with just a single battery. As the current drops during the absorption or float stage, that drop should decrease.

First, I'd check all connections, especially the ground connection to the frame and the connections at the battery and converter. Measure voltage drops across the connections first, if you can, before tightening anything. Check the ac connection to the converter, too.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Thanks for the replies but I was looking for real world experience. As I said, ALL connections are clean, batteries match and are one year old, in great shape when I can get a full charge on them, IE at a campground or pulling. Since I'm not dry camping until next spring at the earliest I'll just wait until I talk to someone who has moved theirs.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
That is real world experience. Eliminate the variables so you can identify what the problem is.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I dry camp with my setup although I have a Kipor 3000Ti but find at 6 - 7 pm generator gets shut off and we're good till next day. I have 2500w inverter that powers my 25 inch tube TV and DirecTV receiver. Duration not so long as typically goes Thu - Mon (NASCAR races).
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote