Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #21
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Rich and Helen.....WE MISS YOU! Hope you are getting fixed and so happy you both are safe.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Report to Al, to Carol, re Rich:

Trailer fixed, waiting for tires?? Tires not available till tomorrow???

Al says he will let Rich explain in detail, so I won't say more, cept things are looking up, and as we are all aware, this could have been much worse, even tho the $$ stuff stinks as does the delay in arriving at the Rally.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The 3400 is no longer broke but we are..Handouts will be accepted. Will be on our way in the AM..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
ols1932.. You hit it right on..That was our problem. Center pin in the spring sheared off causing the spring to shift forward We were lucky...

I called everyone on my list early this moring, Mor ryde, Dexter, Keystone. Mor Ryde called burnside within 15 Mins explaning what they wanted them to do and check. Mark Krol called and said..whatever you need. I was covered if the problem was in their areas. Burnside RV was fantastic.They did everythng but give us the keys to the dealership. The problem was a 5.25 Cent bolt. We knew that the extend waranty would not cover the repair because the cause was a Bolt..Strange ..they will pay for a entire motor but not the belts and hoses.The bolt is a expendable??? Any how the warranty lady said she woud attempt to work some magic as she knew how to present things. The labor was 4 hours at 99.00 per hour + tax+ the bolt. That bolt was not easy to find. We have a 50.00 ded. The Extended warranty does not pay State taxes. Our total bill was 143.00..She worked some magic. However we had to spring for 4 new tires...but..we had a tire protection plan on the 4 coopers destroyed so we will break about even on the tires. It could hae been much worse... We will have the tires in the AM and be on our way to the G.L rally
Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Glad to hear it was nothing more than that Rich. You surely are one lucky guy. Hopefully the rest of your trip will be uneventful, (maintanance wise). Enjoy yourselves at the GL Rally.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #26
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
While it's good to hear it was one single bolt, what a bolt that was, in causing all that. I have heard of a saying that goes something like this, "Don't fret the small things". I don't think they are RV owners.

For a warranty, if a bolt breaks on your engine, will they not cover it or the resulting damage? What a bunch of hooey.

Thanks for the update Rich! May your travels to the rally be filled with better stories!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Burnside in Houghton Lake is our home repair shop. They do a super job.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have no complaints about our Extended Warranty (RV Shield) We have now received back more than we paid for it and have 4 years left on the coverage but it is weird. Had the spring or shackle broke they would have paid the entire bill less State tax and 50.00 ded. But according to them..Nothing broke???? it was just a bolt and bolts are not covered??? At least that bolt.. They did wind up paying for most of the bill. Remember now these are not Extended Warranties but service contacts. I had a custom van burn to the ground several years ago. The cause was a known defective heater that over heated (1980 Chevy 3/4 ton Van)The insurance company paid for the destroyed van..less the cost of the defective heater that caused the fire...weird...

Dave you are corect about Burnside..They are outstanding... They sold 59 units thus far in July and PDI'ed 4 today. Oh..I got your part..
Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rich! Do you know about when you will be pulling out of there? Best to beat the Fri PM northward, weekend rush if possible...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #30
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I suspect every 2006 3400RL Montana owner is going to watch this with significant interest.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #31
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have a 2006 3500RL and I plan to go out and check the bolts. I'll only be able to check that they are in place, but I won't necessarily be able to tell they are ready to break unless I get lucky and see some pretty bad wear.

Thanks to the MOC, and thanks to Rich for the heads-up.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 AM   #32
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Rich and Helen,

Judy and I send our best for your safe arrival to Mill Creek. Your site is waiting.

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just a note,,, The problem had nothing to do with a lippert frame, Mor Rye system, keystone quality. It was a 5.25 cent grade 8 centering pin on a spring that sheared no doubt due to many miles on very bad roads and I-75 in Mich was the last straw. A very rare problem.. Burnside RV had never seen such a break on any brand camper. Just one of those things....
Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #34
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
The bolt is called a centering bolt and bolts the spring together and keeps the spring pack where it should be and that is centered in the plate that the u bolts go through that holds the axle. Any frame shop should have that bolt and it possibly made off shore and very soft. It should have been harden but I doubt it. Take a file and see if you can file it. If you can file the bolt it is not hard and if you scratch the file then it is a hard bolt. Another thing that we can talk about in Goshen.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm glad to hear you are back in business and will get to attend at least some of the rally. Safe travels to you two.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:52 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
hazmaic. Would not a grade 8 bolt be the same no matter where it was manufactured???? I have no idea where the grade 8 bolt that they put in was manufactured. I did ask them what a grade 8 bolt was and the tech said it was ..very hard and not normally prone to breaking except under a lot of stress which is why I believe that the accumulated banging on rough roads took its toll and they did get the bolt from a local spring shop. In June alone we did some bone jarring roads in Tenn and KY. You can only see the very top of the OEM pins that are in the springs and there would be no way to test them for hardness. You bring up a interseting point on the grade 8 bolt. I thought that there must be standards and spec's on what a grade 8 should be????? We did check out the repair with the Service center (Darrell) and they said the would have done the same thing????
Old 08-01-2009, 06:16 AM   #37
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Glad to hear it wasn't anything catastrophic; and that you are back on the road!!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #38
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Rich, I believe what hazic may be referring to is the possibility that the bolt was made in another country and stamped grade 8 but may not really be a grade 8. There are counterfit bolts out there. Just my HMO.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #39
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Who was the vendor for the axles and springs? They are the ones who need to be held accountable along with Montana for selecting them.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #40
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Bruce you are so right. The foreign companies will mark the bolts however you want them marked. Grade 8 bolts are hard that you can almost drive them in with a hammer and not hurt the threads. A file is how we checked bolts that supposed to be harden bolts and if they were not,back to the store room and a call to the bolt vendor.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote