Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2004, 03:17 AM   #61
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
Has anyone had the Q lose video out ?? Recently, our system worked playing DVD's, and still does, but the vido out RCA jack does not output anything, not even a blue screen...i've tried the RGB out with limited success (the screen goes into a vertical spin). I havnt tried the S-video out, but have tried all combo's, and still no video!!
The audio works fine..
One other question, due to the the SSound wiring (mine has bare ends connected to the unit), what replacement would anyone suggest? I would have to find a SSound enabled system that can take the bare wires to the speakers (I really don't want to put RCA jacks on the end of each speaker wire)...

Montana_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:22 AM   #62
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
OOPPSSS... i should have read the Q1000 forum first!!! DUH!
Montana_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:23 AM   #63
Montana_2608
Established Member

M.O.C. #2608
I certainly agree the Montana is the best looking RV I've seen inside and out. That's why I'm so interested in them. I also realize there will be problems with any RV from time to time. I've been fortunate to not have had problems with my Jayco. I guess my biggest problem with all of them is the flippant attitude and/or high resistance of some dealers to want to deal with problems. They remind me of those insurance companies you give your money to for years, then have a stroke of bad luck, file a claim and out the door you go...cancelled!! With RV sales through the roof in the past several years (thanks to us baby boomers...and no end in sight)they have to be making very good money. When someone has a problem they should be ready, willing and able to jump through hoops to make the customer (who has just paid $40,000 - $60,000 on their product)happy by fixing the problem the right way instead of making half fast (if you know what I mean) repairs or trying to pacify them back out the door, or forcing the new owner into fixing it themselves. I've seen many of you say you do just that and fix the problems yourself. Do you do the same thing for your tow vehicles? If you paid $45,000 for a shiny new dually, Ford, Chevy, Dodge..whatever and the radio won't work, a window/windshield leaks, seats keep coming loose, molding curls up, paint peels and the bumper falls off, do you just fix it yourself and go on? I doubt it and I think the same thing should apply to a $45,000 RV. When a repetitive problem manifests itself in a manufacturers product, whether its Keystone or whomever, they should either pursuade the OEM supplier to get with the program or move to someone who will and not just take the lowest bid from OEM companies and continue to install poor performing products in their RVs. I'm an electrician by trade and have seen the electrical wiring in many brands of RV's and they ALL use practically the same type of material. It's spelled C.H.E.A.P. The Scotchlok brand of snap connectors RVs are filled with are not made for heavy loads. Surface area and tightness of an electrical connection is EVERYTHING when a load is placed on a circuit. A first year apprentice understands this concept. The connectors mentioned simply push two tiny pins through the insulation and hardly meet this rule. They were invented in the mid 70's for fluorescent lighting, (which normally carry a load of less than 1-2 amps) and migrated from this to boat trailer light connections and then to RV's for everything. Why? Because they are SIMPLE and FAST to install. They are also infamous for the snap not latching securely and eventually working lose. Not good when it's inside a wall or an area hard to access....but they are used in spite of all of this. I think RVs are in such demand, that the manufacturers of them all are pushing for quantity above quality. I personally feel it's high time for a lemon law for RVs. Three trips to the shop for repairs within a year and you get a new one. Oh well....I'm done. You can blast away at me now
Montana_2608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:37 AM   #64
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Randall53,

you make good points. lots of good points.

Dealers, pleeeasseeeee, don't get ME started!

OEM providers, definately need more of these, do a search on this forum about ovens, the short story, one provider, he had trouble, no one got ovens for months! Keystone would love for another oven provider.

Not sure about the 3 trips for one repair and lemon law, but heard someone at the service center state they got 3 tries to fix something??? Did not follow through with the conversation, so have no idea what that meant. Maybe a corporate policy?? Maybe a Indiana lemmon law?? just don't know.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:24 AM   #65
Montana_2608
Established Member

M.O.C. #2608
I've been researching lemon laws and found a site that may help those owning self powered motor homes, which qualify as a motor driven vehicle, thus fall under some form of the lemon law guidelines (this doesn't apply to the liveable portion of the RV it seems..which only helps certain cases). If, however, you own a towed vehicle there is no protection other than your manufacturers warranty. At lease that seems to be the case in reading items found at the following link:

http://www.autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon2.html

Sooooo...how about a section on this forum for dealer ratings? If reporting a lazy, greedy, "I can't help you with that" type of dealer doesn't set well with some...then how about a section where we can heap praise and honor upon those that do value their customers? I, for one, would be glad to travel three or even four states away to buy from a quality service oriented "the customer must be happy" type of dealer!!

Whaddaya Say?

Randall
Montana_2608 is offline   Reply With Quote