Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2005, 04:00 AM   #21
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Here is the thread discussing the change from the old thermostat.
Thermostat-how was it wired again?

This one is a website by Fulltimedreamer with both pictures and text. It also is changing to the Hunter from the old thermostat. Maybe there will be some clues here to help you with the remote thermostat.
Thermostat Upgrade

HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #22
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Can anyone come up with a better part number on that remote control system. If we have the proper number we may be able to cross reference it to the European web site and get some sort of manual??
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #23
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I'll go over it all again with a fine tooth comb, and see what I can find.

I am also begining to think that since the furnace is a totally 12v system, it may at least be possible to get the furnace running from an independent thermostat.

Thanks for taking an interest in this project.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 04:34 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In rooting around in my system I ran across this page I'd saved. It has pictures and describes the wiring from the old thermostat to a Hunter thermostat. This is not for the remote thermostat but maybe it will help someone to figure out that wiring. I had to cut this one down to make it work on tinypic. It's very readable except some small print on the pictures. If anyone needs a better copy, I have it in email form and also in jpg form, both in better quality. Email me and I'll send you whichever you prefer. Here's the link for the reduced file, which should still be fine for most.

http://tinypic.com/1pjv6h
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:41 AM   #25
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gruffy

Can anyone come up with a better part number on that remote control system. If we have the proper number we may be able to cross reference it to the European web site and get some sort of manual??
I found the packing slip from when Dometic sent me a new remote. This is just for the hand held part, but it might help.
It is called:
"Duo-Therm IR Remote Comfort Control with Holster", Part number 3308423.015.

John.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #26
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Well John that is indeed the part number. Or, at least it matches other Duo Therm part numbers. I can't however get any information on it.

Duo Therm is a division of Dometic (Dometicusa) who is the child of European Dometic who is ownwed or associated with Electrolux who maunufactures everything from tiddly winks to toilet seats. They have not posted any information on this type of furnace control on the internet that I could find.

I can only suggest trying to get an installation manual from Dometic via e-mail..... or perhaps there is someone out there who can provide a detailed set of instruction on how this remote is supposed to work and be configured???

Alternatively, if you can get at the furnace, it may be possible to connect a dedicated thermostat for heat. However, in my case the furnace provided 7.5volts to operate the old thermostat. If the new system is wired the same as my older model, removing the furnace would disable the air condioner part of the system.

So... we need some more information, or someone who has this system who wants to expiriment a bit.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #27
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Our Outback has the Carrier heating and cooling system with the remote thermostat. It worked great this last season. We just set the temp were we want the air conditioner to cool and the temp were we want the furnace to heat. It worked good! Should I expect trouble?
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #28
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Is it controlled with a Carrier remote control or a DuoTherm remote control??? Did you get a comprehensive manual with it???
Old 02-13-2005, 09:03 AM   #29
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Just to add a tiny bit of info. Went to the RV show here in Seattle last Friday. I went into most of the 5ers (till I went blind) just to look at the thermostats. I think this Star Trek remote is a Keystone item only. I didn't see one other remote on any trailer, both TT or 5er.

If it would warm up just a bit(and quit raining)I'll climb up on a ladder and see if I can read the wiring diagram that is on the AC. It may be the same that is in the instruction, we'll see.

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:14 AM   #30
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I think the company who makes the remote is RVP. Here is a link;

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/rvp.php

The remote control product is called RVComfortBeam. There was a write up on the product. Look familar?

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/output.cfm?id=824149
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:30 AM   #31
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazeeff

I think the company who makes the remote is RVP. Here is a link;

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/rvp.php
It looks to me like RVP make the Coleman line of A/Cs etc., and are actually competitors of Dometic/Duo-Therm. Both seem to offer the same remote operating system for their respective units. I think there must be a third party in their who actual make them, but they are keeping well hidden.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #32
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I don't know but they don't work well at all. I have email into Keystone to see if they intend on doing anything about them. I will keep everyone made aware of what they say. Dealer is at a lost of words they cannot figure the thing out either.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #33
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Hi all,

Well I went out and tried to figure out the wiring from the AC to the stat. The 'control box'has a wiring plan on the side. looking at it it seems very straight foreward...untill you see the TWO wires for the thermostat that say, "To infrared remote." But at the wall there are 4 wires. Looking further, there are 2 wires that (I believe) come from the furnace. The two furnace wires enter from one side go in and meet up with the AC wiring, hence 4 wires to the stat. Just like a house. EXCEPT-the control box is all built around an IC board with no info at all printed nor indicated.

Just to add, the 'phone' wire output on the control box has two phone type jack. I'm guessing, but maybe, one of the 'two wires' to the remote and the other is the interface for both the AC and furnace to work together.

I'm at a loss now. Looking at the wire sizes (itty bitty)this a very low voltage/current setup. Are there any digital electronic types out there?

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything better.

Bill

BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #34
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This post has almost 600 reads, the privacy issue has over 1000 and Keystone replied. So I guess we have to yell louder both about the remote thermostat and the DVD player.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:34 AM   #35
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Parrotthead, I don't understand about the privacy issue you are referring to, what's that about. I can yell from mountain top if will help Keystone reply to this problem.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #36
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Parrotthead, I did not read the privacy curtain post until just know, and I got it this time. Hope they fix this issue, but this is little worse than curtain. I think they should find a retro fit solution and do recall to change them out with something that works.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #37
Montana_2342
Established Member

M.O.C. #2342
Spent another weekend in the trailer and my opinion hasn't changed in the least. There are several things the get me mildly upset, leaky plumbing, black water flush that doesn't work but when the heat / A/C doesn't work right I get obnoxious. I have no porblem buying an out of pocket solution that works but I hope Keystone at least can advise us on a replacement "if we choose" to get it. Seems like they pay a pile of engineers to design these things why does it have to be so cyrptic. KEYSTONE HELP US OUT!! Find us a suitable replacment part that is no-remote (a total waste is a 3255) and works when demanded. I have a digital themometer and have 10 to 15 degree differences betweeen the "good themometer" and the thermostat.

Native Teaxan I am a Army Aviator and proud member of the KW community been flying them for 10 years from Texas from border to border, Lousiana, Hawaii and Bosnia living in Alabama now waiting for the Army to send me somewhere else - wouldn't it be great to go where I didn't have to use the thermostat - oh wait thats nowhere!!

Ha ha - I still love the Monty just irked at a little piece of electronic garbage
Montana_2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #38
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I would like to put forth a theory about the wiring.

Perhaps the unit on the wall is an interface to a "brain box" back near the furnace or something, and there is more conventional wiring at that point that can be extended back up the wall.

OR

I've been looking around at inverters lately and doing some dreaming. While looking at the newest Xantrex sine wave inverters:
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/40/p/1/pt/8/product.asp

I noticed this little nugget:

Quote:
quote:Network-enabled (compatible with RV-C network protocol)
It appears that Xantrex has a common bus that various components can all plug into (inverter, generator starter, control unit, etc..) These devices all send messages back and forth addressed to the correct destination.

http://www.xantrex.com/xanbus.asp

IF (and I stress if because I can't find any reference to the RV-C protocol anywhere except for Xantrex equipment) this remote is using the same or similar thing, then it may be more difficult to remove and replace. Lord help us all if the furnace and air conditioner are using some type of message based protocol for control.....

HOWEVER: to provide support for my idea, see the following links. These are products that utilize some form of a network based control protocol. Add an infrared controller at one end of the "network" and you could easily see where your pile of ju^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hfine high tech device could have come from.

http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/oct9.../drew/drew.htm
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...mation/p13.htm
http://www.hometech.com/modules/hvaczone.html

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #39
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Eric,
Several MOC members have replaced their thermostats without that much thinking. Do a search and go into archive also and read about what others have done. We are just putting up with ours knowing it is 10 degrees off.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:09 PM   #40
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Ed,

My understanding was that all the people that had replaced the thermostat was the older non-IR remote type. The problem with the IR remote thermostat is that the wiring is completely different and no one has figured out how or if a more conventional thermostat will work in its place...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

All I was suggesting is that the wiring for the IR remote could be WAY different than the old conventional. If true, then it could be really difficult to find a replacement.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote