Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Bought Kobalt Torque Wrench!

After my friends problems with tire's, I decided to buy a torque wrench. I went to Lowes and purchased a Kobalt Wrench. $83.00 with lifetime warranty. Yes not one year but lifetime. Kobolds had good reviews, and appears to be a step above other units with 250 lb max. I (because I am not a mechanic) went to my RV repair facility and got a lesson on its proper usage and storage. I know it's long overdue, but I bought it . I have always pulled into tires shops and had lug nuts checked. Funny thing is during my course on usage, we found several lug nuts were not properly tightened. I feel it's one more way to become self reliant! Maybe it's normal, but mine came with certificate of calibration. My tire guys tested it and said it was spot on! Thanks MOC members for education on this subject!

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 AM   #2
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Great move and sounds like your tire shop is A+ also! I know I use my torque wrench a lot. After having my bearing repacked at my Monty Dealer, I was checking the torque when a shop manager came by and told me that I was the first RVer he had ever seen do that. And he said "GOOD JOB". Makes you think that it is a good job and needs to be done.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Since you are new to world of torque wrenches, I'll add some advice. Dial type wrenches, which I believe is the kind you bought, need to be returned to zero after use. Otherwise, leaving them set at a torque (say 120 lbs) can effect their accuracy. Also, the lifetime guarantee is for the wrench itself and not it's accuracy. I wouldn't pay to have a $80 wrench checked and calibrated, but you should check it against another wrench periodically, say yearly, just to make sure it's still in the ball park. To check, torque a lug nut with your wrench, then with a second (borrowed) wrench to see if the second wrench tightens the lug further, then reverse the process by tightening a lug nut with the second wrench and checking it with yours. This method isn't fool proof or super accurate, but it's good enough for wrenches whose main purpose is tightening lug nuts.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:22 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Certainly another "Got to have" in the tool box.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:54 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I actually have two in my box. The second one has a shorter handle and makes it much easier to work/check wet bolt shackles and shear springs. Wouldn't be without my long handle...two may be a sign of having OCD or that other "not medically recognized condition"..."he/she has the most tools...". John
Old 03-30-2015, 04:15 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Another one of those things that brings some peace of mind. I always check mine at the beginning of the season and another time or two during the season. At the start of the season I typically find 3-4 that need just a fraction of a turn. After that I rarely find one needing anything. But at least I know.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:49 AM   #7
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I also just bought a Kobalt torque wrench about a week ago to keep in my TV. Kobalt makes nice tools. I am very impressed with the fit and finish of it and it comes in a nice hard case.

A month ago while returning from a weekend camping trip I had one of my Marathon tires blow out. Luckily I was on a a local road and not on a highway so there was no damage to the camper. While waiting a couple of hours for road side assistance to come and swap out my spare (because I didn't have the tools with me to change a tire on the camper)I decided I wasn't going to be at the Mercy of roadside assistance any more for just a flat tire.

So I installed G614's on the camper including the spare and TST 507 TPMS with the flow thru sensors on all my tires on the camper and TV. I now equipped my TV with everything needed to change a tire and then some on the road. My Kobalt torque wrench, a breaker bar, 12 ton pneumatic bottle jack, impact wrench, impact sockets and assorted other tools.

I am in the process of installing an ARB on board twin air compressor mounted to the side wall in the bed of my truck that will be connected to a 5 gallon air tank mounted under neath the truck. I will be able to air my tires anytime anywhere and not have to worry about trying to find a gas station that still has air and then having to pay for it. Also being able to help out any stranded campers I see on the roadside or at the campground will be nice too...
Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Tom and others, thanks for advice! I feel better having it.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Michael-- just as reminder also-- do not use the torque wrench to take off the lug nuts or nuts on something else. I have seen this done a lot during my life as a jet mechanic in the USAF and by others while on the road with the Monte. There is nothing worse on a torque wrench than using it as a breaker bar or ratchet. I cringe every time I see this happen on the road. I do let the person doing it know but most could really give a damn so I just keep my mouth shut anymore! I tighten the lug nuts up first with a ratchet and then use the torque wrench to put them at the correct torque.

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Torque wrench is a must have tool.I beleive ours is a Craftsmam from sears and we have had it for both of our Montana's. We found that after changing out a tire it is a must to check the torque at the suggested intervals.We have always found one or two to be loose. After several checks we have found they will not change. We checked the torque today for out trip back to Ohio and they were right on.
We do check the torque before every trip.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Due to our winter work, I've had a couple of occasions to take a broken Kobalt tool back. No muss, no fuss. Kind of like Sears used to be.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Here's the neatest torque wrench I ever saw. I was in an oral surgeon's chair getting ready for an implant. They were putting the peg in my jaw. He's got this little silver thing in my mouth about three inches long and he makes a swivelling motion in a clockwise direction (tightening), then reverses it and goes back the other way...to a click, click, click, click sound. Does this several times. When he takes his hand out of my mouth I asked, "is that a torque wrench?" "Yes" he says, "and I guarantee it cost more than the one you bought at Sears."
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Just another vote for the use of a torque wrench. i did not see this mentioned as a to do so I will.

Use a smooth solid push/pull and grab the wrench at the end, the handle, solidly in your hand. Use your weight if need be but do not jerk it. These wrenches are designed to be grabbed at the end but i have seen people grab it at other than the designed handle.
Jerking the wrench will overload the mechanism and may not actually do the job of turning the nut leaving a somewhat undertightened nut.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote