Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Trailer waxing with acrylic floor wax

Our neighbor here in the park was waxing the outside of his motorhome with Acrylic floor wax and it was looking good BUT I wonder what the long term effect it will have?? Any of you guys know anything about this?? Have any opinions??? Thanks.

Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My opinion is that I wouldn't have done that. The acrylic floor wax is probably intended for interior use and certain floor finishes and who knows how it will react to outside weather and temperatures over time on a trailer exterior. There's even floor types that this product could harm. Why use it on something completely different if there are better options?

Knowing that some automotive waxes have destroyed automotive finishes, I wouldn't take chances with an aluminum, fiberglass or gelcoat finish with some floor product.

This reminds me of a neighbor who use to wash her car with Comet! Sure, the car was clean but it was dull. Doing this every week after several months, she was able to use the Comet to scrub the resulting rust off the car caused by the exposed metal from using the Comet in the first place. Whatever floats your boat.

Your neighbor wasn't a very old short chubby lady with dyed black hair was she? And she was married to a short Asian man too but he was only really good at yard work - he maintained an incredibly beautiful lawn and flower garden in the front yard.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Over in www.rv.net there is a number of folks that use Red Max Pro #3 on their campers and really like it. They put 3 or 4 coats on, but I dont think there has been any long term reports yet.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Over in www.rv.net there is a number of folks that use Red Max Pro #3 on their campers and really like it. They put 3 or 4 coats on, but I dont think there has been any long term reports yet.
3 or 4 coats?

Wow, to have that kind of energy again! The only way I might have a chance at getting my trailer waxed is to move next door to Ozz and suggest my withered arms simply aren't up to the task. He'd no doubt grab the ballwax and run with it.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

3 or 4 coats?

Wow, to have that kind of energy again! The only way I might have a chance at getting my trailer waxed is to move next door to Ozz and suggest my withered arms simply aren't up to the task. He'd no doubt grab the ballwax and run with it.
Wow who are these super humans 3 or 4 coats? in 1984 I was a bit more chipper and one coat on the moter home was still enugh for me.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Wow...I dont know about floor wax. But I have been kicking around using some products from http://www.woody-wax.com/.

Sounds a little extreme using floor wax. A simple quick wax where you spray on and wipe off does wonders in keeping the fiberglass from getting chalky. They key is to wax before it gets oxidized.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Yes, 3 or 4 coats, but its floor wax, they say you just dunk a sponge into a bucket of the stuff and wipe it on. When it dries, you just do it again and again.

There is no rubbing it in, just wipe on, and NO wipe off, lol.

Only 1 person has said they did it 13 months ago, and their camper still looks great.

Someone else said they put it on and it got on somewhere where he didn't want it, so he used the Red Max stripper and it came right off with no effects to his fiberglass.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The hardest part of that protocol is getting the surface clean and streak free. Whatever spots you cover with the wax are there. Sponging the wax on is the easy part.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
According to the graphics folks.. Wax and graphics do not mix.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I use a product called Streak Off with Wax. It cleans the coach and leaves a light coat of wax. I've been using it for about ten years and it keeps the coach looking great. I usually have some with me when I travel and always take it to the fall rally. Only bad thing is it is not avaiable except at a dealer in Indiana and from me because they have never marketed it on a national level.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
The acylic will turn yellow with time. We did use poly glow on our unit and love it. Needs to be done again to touch up places that were missed. Yes we put it over the decals that were left. Wish we had done it when it was new. If I was to buy a new unit Ii would put this on right away.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
Carl32092
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11321
First, it is not wax! It is a poly coating with about a 20% suspension of polymer in it. I use ZEP, wet look, from Home Depot. I have used it on fiberglass boats for years. Put some on my Monty and have had it on there for several years now. No yellowing and no chipping. It does get thin after about a year so I re apply. Solvent is Ammonia.
Carl32092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
Using a polish with a UV rating is best. I use Zaino Z-2 which has a UV rating of 40. (zaino.com)
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #14
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
I have been using Poli Glow for 2 years now and am very satisfied with it. Poli Glow is like a floor wax but goes on easily and drys quickly.
We traveled over 10,000 miles last year and when we got back to Arkansas last fall I redid the front cap with about 4 coats and it looks like new again.
When I contacted the company they told me that it would not hurt the decals and so far i have to agree.
It also makes bug removal easier and quicker.
This just my opinion and know there are many other good products out there so what ever works for you is a plus.
Kountry Traveler
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote