Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
leonard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5554
cleaning

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to clean the narrow rubber? strip that is between the fiberglass and the metal on the bottom? I've tried everything and nothing seems to work.

Leonard

leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
First, there is probably no cleaning method that I have found that does not require elbow grease -- no easy wipe on, wipe off magic solution. However, I have had success with two or three different cleaners. One is Awesome, a concentrate we bought from a dollar store, diluted to about 5:1. Sprayed on and allowed to set a bit before taking it off with a Mr Clean Eraser.

Another was a solution I bought from an RV store for removing black streaks. Again, sprayed on and scrubbed off after some waiting time for the chemicals to work. Sometimes a second effort was needed. I usually go through a box of six Mr Clean Erasers doing the whole rig.

For getting the dirt collection off the silicon caulk around the rubber strip, I just use something like dish soap and water with a microfiber cloth. Whatever you use I highly recommend a thorough rinsing to remove the cleaning chemicals. They will destroy the silicon caulk.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I use Awesome, full strength, then clorox spray bleach, rinse quickly, then dry with towel. You must be careful that these chemicals don't run or you will have streaks, nor use then on the decals.......I have yet to find a good chemical to coat them with so this doesn't happen so often. I also have a feeling over time that the material will degrade.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I always try to use the best cleaner ever invented........DW. Unfortunately, most of the time, the answer after the request is a resounding (I think you can guess what the response is). If you do find something easy to use, let me know, I am always looking for time and energy savings!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
bubbabc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9722
I use a soft clean rag "Old Tea Shirt" and Acetone on all my rubber molding once a year.. It takes all the yellow off from the sun. It dries very quickly so you gotta move fast. Do not wipe the paint on the skirting as it will remove that as well.
bubbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

If you’re talking about the plastic filler strips that slide in the track then this is what I done. I took a couple strips completely off on our old camper once and soaked them in a bucket of bleach water overnight. They looked like new when I put them back on. I don’t know if bleach water would be harmful or not but it cleaned it up. I might have wiped them off or rinsed them a little but it was an easy cleaning job!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
rgn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5555
go to wal mart and get a can of wal mart brand brake cleaner and spray it on a cloth and rubit. do not get on paint'
rgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leonard

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to clean the narrow rubber? strip that is between the fiberglass and the metal on the bottom? I've tried everything and nothing seems to work.

Leonard
We spent 3 months in Arizona and all that mold disappeared. We have been back to Florida since that time and that strip has stayed clean. Must be the dry heat in Arizona.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I take mine off about once a year and soak them in a 5/gal pail of water and bleach overnight and they as good as new in the morning
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leonard

Leonard
Leonard, I bought some OUTDOOR BLEACH at Lowes that took the black off my molding when regular bleach wouldn't touch it. I just wiped it on with an old rag and left it and to my surprise,the black was gone the next day.
Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote